Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz AMG GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 02:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And how come the nice looking cars have to have such a high price?
It seems there is zero styling effort done on all the normal lookalike cars on show room floors these days.
It seems no one can even design a proper roof anymore either. MB seems to put some effort in the styling department, unlike all the rest of the auto manufactures.
Old 01-27-15, 04:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't get more unique looking than an RC350 for the money. Although that's your call if you want to call the design "nice".
Old 01-27-15, 09:38 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mercedes-AMG GT Super Bowl XLIX Ad Reinforces Classic Fable

We know you're dying to see the Patriots and the Seahawks go at it this Sunday, but how do you feel about watching another classic showdown? This time courtesy of Mercedes-Benz.

The so called "Fable" commercial will air for 60 seconds during Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, February 1, and it will feature the tortoise and the hare, with predictable results. Except this time the tortoise won't need to dig too deep (or too subtly) in its bag of tricks, since it's going to get a little help from the 503 HP Mercedes-AMG GT S.

With its 469 lb-ft of torque, it'll get that tortoise from barely moving to 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds, which is undoubtedly faster than it has ever gone - despite the fact that it keeps winning.

Still, the hare is always the cocky one, every time you hear the story. But the tortoise has a little bit of that silent confidence to it, since it was brave enough to challenge one of the fastest critters on earth to a foot race. We could argue that using a 4.0 liter biturbo V8 AMG hand-built engine is sort of unfair, to say the least, so let's call this "AMG-GTgate" - as if the Patriots didn't have enough on their minds with that "Deflategate" conundrum.

Unlike this fairy tale foot race, Sunday's Super Bowl game won't feature any real underdogs, as both the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks have proven to be quite formidable this season. But since most people are picking the Patriots to win (including Vegas), we might just have found our "hare". Sorry Tom Brady.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/mer...l-xlix-ad.html
Old 01-27-15, 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok commercial but i don't think it's that special
Old 01-27-15, 10:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I may have found my next new car , one of the reasons I like it is that it looks more distinct from any other mercedes from any angle and from a distance.
S CLASS sedan looks like a bigger C class
S class coupe looks like CLA nose from a distance
CLS looks like a larger CLA
SL look like a larger SLK

This one even from the front, it looks more different from any other mercedes with the sports grille ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-27-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 10:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I may have found my next new car , one of the reason I like it is that it looks more distinct from any other mercedes from any angle and from a distance.
S class coupe looks like CLE nose from a distance
CLS looks like a larger CLE

This one even from the front, it looks more different from any other mercedes with the sports grille ...
What is this CLE you speak of?
Old 01-27-15, 10:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What is this CLE you speak of?
Edited ......
Old 01-29-15, 02:21 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

German Special Customs Mercedes AMG GT – Phots

The Mercedes AMG GT by GSC gets a revised front bumper with a large carbon fiber front spoiler complemented with little winglets and modified headlights, chunky new side skirts, carbon roof and mirror caps, new rear bumper and diffuser, and a GT3-style rear wing.
Shows a lot of potential on what black series might look like from the back.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...-amg-gt-phots/
Old 01-29-15, 10:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I may have found my next new car , one of the reasons I like it is that it looks more distinct from any other mercedes from any angle and from a distance.
S class coupe looks like CLA nose from a distance
CLS looks like a larger CLA

good point, indeed it looks different enough not to be mistaken
Old 01-29-15, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I may have found my next new car, one of the reasons I like it is that it looks more distinct from any other Mercedes from any angle and from a distance.
Originally Posted by rominl
good point, indeed it looks different enough not to be mistaken
At the D.C. auto show (I was there yesterday), a bright yellow one, like the one in the image above, was the centerpiece of the Mercedes display. I have to admit it looked quite impressive up on that turntable, with the lights directly on that sun-yellow paint.

Be careful what you fall in love with, Andrew (you just might get your wish) . At the 2001 D.C. show, I fell in love with a bright yellow Lexus IS300, just then being introduced to the American market. I was a s**ker for the exquistely-done chronograph-style gauges, chrome-ball metal shifter, and tank-like build quality (better, IMO, than the IS models they have now). It was love at first sight. I turned around and said to my friend/co-worker, who was at the show with me..."Rick, I just found my next car".

A couple of months later, after the snow and road-salt were done with on the local roads, I took a brand-new one home, painted.....yep, you guessed it, Solar Yellow. Tough to find one in that color and equipped like i wanted, but I was persistent. I ended up keeping it almost five years......during which I joined CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 10:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At the D.C. auto show (I was there yesterday), a bright yellow one, like the one in the image above, was the centerpiece of the Mercedes display. I have to admit it looked quite impressive up on that turntable, with the lights directly on that sun-yellow paint.
According to mercedes benz UK configurator, that yellow paint is a £10,695 option ... much much more than the other extra cost paints, I wonder what so special about it ??
Old 01-30-15, 11:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

According to mercedes benz UK configurator, that yellow paint is a £10,695 option ... much much more than the other extra cost paints, I wonder what so special about it ??
wow that's a lot of EXTRA money for paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-15, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rominl
wow that's a lot of EXTRA money for paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No doubt. Mercedes itself, of course, will have to answer that question, but I suspect it's a combination of three things. First, anticipated demand for it....it's a color that obviously makes people open their eyes and notice it. Second, those who can afford to spend what a top-level Mercedes AMG usually costs probably aren't going to question an additional significant outgo for an Open-Your-Eyes paint color. Third, Mercedes, despite some historical problems with areas like electronics and hardware, usually doesn't cheap out in the paint department. It's not always the most glass-smooth or shiny paint job like at Lexus or Audi, but Mercedes uses very durable paint that's harder to chip or scratch than that from most manufacturers. And there's a reason for that. At triple-digit Autobahn speeds in Germany, which Mercedes products sometimes run at, if the paint durability is not up to snuff, even a hard-shelled insect hitting the car could take a spot out of the finish with it....too deep for scratch-removers.
Old 02-01-15, 10:57 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Well the great thing is that the base price at 129.9K is pretty much fully loaded, so there really isn't any options to add except for that paint if you really want it.
Old 02-12-15, 05:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes is hinting about a new GT called GT3.

Neatly coinciding with the upcoming market launch of the road-going version of the Mercedes-AMG GT, the next stage of the vehicle's evolution is already here: the sports car and performance brand of Mercedes-Benz is presenting a new customer sport racing car that complies with FIA GT3 race regulations in the form of the new Mercedes-AMG GT3. With this, the second customer sport car to be developed by Mercedes-AMG, the Affalterbach company is seeking to build on the success of the SLS AMG GT3 and further expand the customer sport programme first started in 2010. The superb racetrack performance of the road-going GT forms the ideal basis on which to model the new Mercedes-AMG GT3, which is due to make its debut appearance at the Geneva Motor Show.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz AMG GT