Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW security flaw allows the car to be stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 10:33 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default BMW security flaw allows the car to be stolen

I just heard about this. Car thieves can use a device to steal a BMW in less than 3 minutes Hopefully our car is more secure than that.

Old 08-18-13, 10:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 08-18-13, 10:54 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm kinda laughing at this, People park their car right in front of their "Garage", WTH, if I had a M3, that badboy would be IN THE GARAGE.. USe some common sense and PARK YOUR CAR - IN THE GARAGE.. What a Concept..
Old 08-18-13, 11:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a huge problem for a number of brands, as there was a recent post on CL about many modern cars getting stolen using "mysterious electronic devices". Many brands have the same problem that these BMWs have.

I REALLY hope the automakers are taking this seriously, and working hard on a foolproof method to stop this. Modern cars, apart from the mechanical systems, are now also complex computers on wheels. Automakers absolutely must think of some foolproof physical or mechanical safety measures to prevent these types of thefts.

This issue is actually a huge showstopper for me and makes me wary of buying a modern vehicle. if I do buy a modern vehicle, I will make sure to install numerous custom security measures of my own, where even if thieves have access to a programmed "blank key" they'd be unable to drive off with it.

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm kinda laughing at this, People park their car right in front of their "Garage", WTH, if I had a M3, that badboy would be IN THE GARAGE.. USe some common sense and PARK YOUR CAR - IN THE GARAGE.. What a Concept..
That will hardly solve the problem. What if you''re going out to dinner, or a store, or a night out to a show, or for any other reason where you have to drive and then park your car in a public place? Must you now be completely paranoid and not let your car out of your sight at all? Don't be ridiculous.

This is a BIG showstopper issue that simply parking in your garage won't solve, unless you intend to make your car purely a garage queen, and not park it anywhere else at all other than your garage.
Old 08-18-13, 11:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Same old story IMO. My old Cadillac(it was a 1991, no chip in the key) if you knew what you were doing with a hammer and a screw driver on the steering column and ignition switch you could drive away in less than a minute.

I know a lot of cars(both import and domestic) that used traditional keys back in the day had about 4 or 5 different "master" keys that thieves could try(and succesfully) open and start your car. As the lock cylinders became worn, just about any old key in a similar shape would start your car. Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc, starting back in the 80's started to use a different type of metal key that prevented 99% of that nonsense I talked about. You know the type of key, where the sides are still straight and the pattern is carved into the sides of the key.

Its just that now the value of these new luxury cars is a lot higher. And car theft is now an international operation. Steal the car in the states, sell it in the Middle east, Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia, China. Just wherever the steering wheel is on the correct side.
Old 08-19-13, 01:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Maybe he has the Ferrari parked in the garage. The M3 is his daily beater. LOL.

My Camry stays outside too. I'm only a small fish.
Old 08-19-13, 01:27 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No matter. That is what insurance is for.
Old 08-19-13, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

BMW was always easy to steal... 4-5 years ago, they stole 15 X5's and X6's in the same night in my city, when they broke into BMW's key system and it was easy for them to start the car.
Old 08-19-13, 10:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is a bit scary. Im sure they are looking into this and doing it FAST
Old 08-19-13, 10:36 AM
nosurprise
Racer

I heard some story about some soccer player got his BMW stolen and some eastern European diplomat was driving it

I think this is slightly different from other car jacks since it's relatively quick and easy and expensive car -- there must be a security flaw. It shouldn't be difficult to secure the cars, at least prevent it from starting, with the existing encryption technology we use on regular computers.
Old 08-19-13, 10:52 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is a huge problem for a number of brands, as there was a recent post on CL about many modern cars getting stolen using "mysterious electronic devices". Many brands have the same problem that these BMWs have.

I REALLY hope the automakers are taking this seriously, and working hard on a foolproof method to stop this. Modern cars, apart from the mechanical systems, are now also complex computers on wheels. Automakers absolutely must think of some foolproof physical or mechanical safety measures to prevent these types of thefts.

This issue is actually a huge showstopper for me and makes me wary of buying a modern vehicle. if I do buy a modern vehicle, I will make sure to install numerous custom security measures of my own, where even if thieves have access to a programmed "blank key" they'd be unable to drive off with it.

That will hardly solve the problem. What if you''re going out to dinner, or a store, or a night out to a show, or for any other reason where you have to drive and then park your car in a public place? Must you now be completely paranoid and not let your car out of your sight at all? Don't be ridiculous.

This is a BIG showstopper issue that simply parking in your garage won't solve, unless you intend to make your car purely a garage queen, and not park it anywhere else at all other than your garage.
I know what you mean, I was being sarcastic but You are somewhat right, I am Paranoid and will only park in secure parking spots, or park where i can visibly see the car. Only to take the car to mostly shows, or meets, track days. Not a daily driver where I would have to leave it for hours on end. IF I had an M3, it would be a Garage Queen, and only taken out to drive and rarely out of sight, since I have other cars in the stable i can drive.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Maybe he has the Ferrari parked in the garage. The M3 is his daily beater. LOL.

My Camry stays outside too. I'm only a small fish.
I'm sure.. HAHA LOL My '92 Mitsubishi Diamante stays outside blocking the garage door where my two GS's are parked.. LOL No one wants to take my Mitsubishi? C'mon now.. hahahaha
Old 08-19-13, 12:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The thief who gets caught will probably make a lot more money working with the cops and car companies to show them how its done.
Old 08-19-13, 12:17 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The thief who gets caught will probably make a lot more money working with the cops and car companies to show them how its done.
Car companies already know how it's done. They are not going to replace the key systems on every cars out there, it would be too expensive. At this time, they have put enough controls to prevent casual theft and incidental theft. Theft by organized and resource rich entities is harder, if not impossible to prevent. They will deal with it on new models, as insurance companies increasingly try to recoup their liabilities from the car companies. At this time, those insurance companies will be on the hook until they can prove the car companies acted negligently, which will be hard to do even if true.
Old 08-19-13, 03:50 PM
nosurprise
Racer

BMW's stance seems to be that they do everything that's legally required to secure the car. This feels a lot like the Escalade without the steering lock. Yes, BMW should already know how it's done; you can buy stuff on web sites for about $2000 to start the car without keys.
Old 08-19-13, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Any cases with this happening with Lexus's?

I only ask since we have problems tuning the ECU on the newer models. Wonder if that is why it is "seemingly" uncrackable?

Quick Reply: BMW security flaw allows the car to be stolen