Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 07:08 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks odd ... the proportions looks off with the long front overhang and the headlights looks longer than the wheel opening
Old 03-12-14, 07:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
looks good, the current Sonata has not aged well IMO.
Swoopy styling never ages well. Saw that coming from the start. Just look at how good the sister Optima looks with its classic lines. The Optima will look good for years to come while Hyundai's lineup will look increasingly awkward sooner than later.

Lots of people complain about how sedate the Camry, Accord, and Passat is, but history keeps proving that these models always look better than the rest after 15, 20 years. Trendy design exercises usually look ridiculous 10, 15 years later.
Old 03-12-14, 08:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RYKR
Car looks odd ... the proportions looks off with the long front overhang and the headlights looks longer than the wheel opening
I agree with this. Based on these spy shots, it does not look like a cohesive design at all. Will be interesting to see some pics of the rear and how that's evolved from the current model.
Old 03-12-14, 09:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 03-12-14, 10:50 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

It's not as radical as the current Sonata, but that ain't necessarily a bad thing.
Buy what is good about this & the Optima is the 2.0t motor under the hood. Easily one of the best turbocharged engines available. Strong internals with sophisticated design make for a good power plant.
Old 03-12-14, 10:53 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I agree with this. Based on these spy shots, it does not look like a cohesive design at all. Will be interesting to see some pics of the rear and how that's evolved from the current model.
Merry Xmas

Old 03-12-14, 11:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

While the exterior might not be as revolutionary, if the interior is similar to this sketch then that will be the biggest change essentially
Old 03-12-14, 11:03 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yowps3
Merry Xmas

Wow, that actually doesn't look bad at all. I was expecting to see a more evolutionary sloping back end based on the side shots, but they squared off the rear to match the new front. Definitely has a different feel than the current generation. Still appears a little slopey from the side angle, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see official pics. Wonder what this new Sonata will do to Azera sales, which already looks dated in my opinion.
Old 03-13-14, 02:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Seeing a lot of different looks with the above photos, so it's hard to commit to a judgement. So far, I'd say the current model is softer and swoppier, while the new one is harder-edged and more angular. Since round is out and angular/boxy is in, I'm not surprised. Interior dash design kind of has a retro-Subaru/Honda look to it. Plain, from the 90's, and breaking no new territory.

Regarding this model, bare in mind there was no facelift for the current car. That's odd, considering Hyundai is facelift/redesign-happy. So mark the current model as a missed opportunity to spur new sales w/o the cost of an entire redesign. Now, ever more screwy is the Optima just got a noticable facelift. So what are they going to do with that now that an all-new Sonata is appearing? Strange marketing from a company off in their own direction (for better or worse).
Old 03-13-14, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
you kidding right? the new style looks like a bigger Sonata with that sloppy roof line. the out going version is more handsome looking imo, you can tell it's a rwd full size sedan. the new version looks like run of the mill fwd Hyundai design
It looks like a mid cycle refresh to me too, but we all know it's not. This, from the article.
Originally Posted by Autoblog
These observations would all match up with reports we heard a few months back that stated the next Sonata will get more of an evolutionary change as opposed to anything drastic.
It's clearly a new model but Hyundai themselves have said the changes are not drastic, which is clear from these photos. I think it looks very nice.
Old 03-13-14, 06:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks promising but seems to have some optima elements, so the kia/hyundai brand distinctions might be getting blurred...
Old 03-13-14, 08:24 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The grill looks like the new Genesis, so is likely the new corporate grill shape. I think this is an attractive car, but not as revolutionary as the current Sonata was when it was introduced.
Steve
Old 03-13-14, 10:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Very odd to see Optima like (pre - face lift) tail lights. The Optima's tail lights were better and more distinct before this year's face lift and now they look kinda bland. And now they go put the shape on the Sonata. Go figure.
Old 03-13-14, 01:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Earlier pictures indicate a refresh A-pillar forward, but not sure anymore from the latest pics above. Regardless, the bug eyes are gone at least and I'm liking the more buttoned-down face.
Old 03-13-14, 02:20 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Looks like a Ford Fusion and Taurus mash-up up front and side.

Quick Reply: 2015 Hyundai Sonata