Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 06:01 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one ugly looking car. It seems like they really ran out of ideas while trying to slot this car between the Azera & Genesis

The Azera doesn't cost all that much more than the Sonata and you get much better value for money.

Last edited by yowps3; 06-21-14 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-20-14, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
its also worth noting their turbo powertrains got worse mpg than competition in magazine testing
Probably no real mystery. Many reviews in the auto-press do pedal-to-the-metal 0-60, quarter-mile, and other acceleration tests, where turbos, just like N/A engines, typically get their worst mileage. Turbos produce more power for a reason.....on-demand extra compression/injection of both air and fuel, compared to N/A power plants.. We also know that auto manufacturers (such as recently at Ford) sometimes publish MPG figures that are even more variable and/or inaccurate than usual.
Old 06-20-14, 06:02 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
so their mpg numbers are not realistic at all then... which was exactly my point.
With the 2015 Sonata 2.0t the power is down by about 30hp or so..

Last edited by yowps3; 06-21-14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-21-14, 06:24 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
With the 2015 Sonata 2.0t the power is down by about 30hp or so..
Hyundai has chosen to retune all of their engines for better and much more usable MIDRANGE power rather than peak power. It has a multitude of benefits. The main benefit is a much stronger feeling engine that doesn't require as many revs to get the car going. The side effect of that is reduced fuel consumption due to less need to rev the **** out of the engine to actually go somewhere. The new Sonata has better FE this time around (25/37 city/hwy for the base and 28/38 for the Eco) and likely improved performance across the board.

With the turbo the same thing has happened. The engine has been tuned for low and midrange power now rather than peak. I experienced it when I drove the older turbos. First and second gear the engine felt neutered but that was also due to reduced torque in first and second gear which hurt 0-60 times severely. Hopefully this time around there will be no electronically limited torque reductions.

Also I believe Hyundai is going the route of under promising and over delivering with these engines.

Last edited by Lexuslvr91; 06-21-14 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-21-14, 06:42 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The current 2.0t according to Hyundai produces peak torque at 1750rpm

But really "peak" is all relative. I also drive a '05 1.8L Pulsar and keep it below 2000rpm for 90% of the time. It goes really well even with full cargo.
Old 06-21-14, 07:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

But really "peak" is all relative. I also drive a '05 1.8L Pulsar and keep it below 2000rpm for 90% of the time. It goes really well even with full cargo.
But it probably maintains that peak torque up to 4k-5k rpm, hence the broad mid range.
Old 06-21-14, 08:38 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

It's actually 1650 rpm for the 2014 Sonata but the 2015 Sonata curve peaks at a much lower 1350 rpm now.

Yes it's relative and relative to Hyundai's previous engines the new ones produce peak power lower with even greater midrange.
Old 06-21-14, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the new sonata seems to be a pretty reasonable evolution, with improved refinement, economy, features, and a bit more conservative design. given how incredibly quiet their new higher end vehicles are (cadenza, k900, equus, genesis), i expect this new sonata to be a pretty refined ride, but then of course the camry, the altima, the fusion, not so much the accord, but others too, have also become much more refined (smooth and quiet) so it will be tough competition.

i seriously doubt this sonata will do much for hyundai beyond maybe maintaining market share.
Old 06-21-14, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the new sonata seems to be a pretty reasonable evolution, with improved refinement, economy, features, and a bit more conservative design. given how incredibly quiet their new higher end vehicles are (cadenza, k900, equus, genesis), i expect this new sonata to be a pretty refined ride, but then of course the camry, the altima, the fusion, not so much the accord, but others too, have also become much more refined (smooth and quiet) so it will be tough competition.

i seriously doubt this sonata will do much for hyundai beyond maybe maintaining market share.
echoes my sentiments exactly. Not a earthshaker, just a minor tremor because as you state, competition is tough
Old 07-17-14, 07:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Barely Out 2015 Hyundai Sonata Recalled for Wiring Harness Fault

Not two months since its official unveiling, Hyundai has announced it has to recall some 2,138 copies of its 2015 Sonata whose power steering may not work as intended due to a faulty connection in the car’s wiring harness. The issue can extend to affect the shifter as well, as it may be stuck in the Park position.

On cars that present the fault, the steering wheel will require much more effort than usual to turn – they don’t say whether it gets any worse or if it runs the risk of seizing up completely, but as you can imagine, it’s not desirable behavior.

The affected cars were manufactured between May 2 and May 23 of this year. Hyundai has already gone ahead and started to contact the owners of the affected cars whose problems will be put right free of charge.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/bar...-recalled.html
Old 10-24-14, 02:27 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default US Buyers Aren't Buying 2015 Hyundai Sonata More Conservative Looks

While it may be too early to assess the commercial success of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata, sales figures don’t look promising, as the sedan is off to a slow start in the U.S.

The all-new sedan may have received encouraging reviews from US media, with Consumer Reports describing it as very competitive, but its design is seen by many as too bland to convince buyers. A failure for the Sonata in the United States would be a big blow, as the country is the model’s second-biggest market after China.

Launched in June in the U.S., the 2015 Sonata has struggled to keep up with competitors such as the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord both in terms of pricing and appeal. Hyundai sold 41,994 new Sonatas in the first four months following its U.S. launch, which is 13 percent fewer than its predecessor.

“The new Sonata product super-exceeds the previous model in every way, shape, or form. But consumers are very much driven by what the vehicle looks like,” Scott Fink, chief executive of Hyundai’s biggest U.S. dealer in New Port Richey, Florida, told Reuters.

It appears that Hyundai’s decision to make the new Sonata less bold and more angular than its curvy predecessors in order to appeal to more conservative buyers in South Korea is backfiring in the U.S. But things aren’t going well in South Korea either. Hyundai sold 6,861 Sonatas in September, nearly half from 11,904 in April when the model was launched.

For 2014, Hyundai reportedly has a U.S. sales target of 92,500. In order to meet that goal, the automaker needs to sell nearly 17,000 new Sonatas a month for the rest of the year. So far, the Sonata’s average monthly sales are 10,500.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/us-...5-hyundai.html
Old 10-24-14, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The all-new sedan may have received encouraging reviews from US media, with Consumer Reports describing it as very competitive, but its design is seen by many as too bland to convince buyers. A failure for the Sonata in the United States would be a big blow, as the country is the model’s second-biggest market after China.
I'm not convinced it's the new Sonata's styling holding down sales, as, to my eyes at least, it now looks far better than before...the old one, in some ways, reminded me of an ostentatious 1959 Buick. What is more likely, IMO, is that the improvements in the latest Camry, Accord, Altima, and Ford Fusion are taking away some of the Sonata's potential customers. The new Fusion, especially, is a very impressive design. The Sonata's own brother Kia Optima has (deservedly) been a smash hit. Chevy's new Malibu is also drawing in some customers who were turned off by past rental-car versions.
Old 10-24-14, 03:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If the low sales start is true, I'd say I'm not surprised. Hyundai completely did a 180 with the new Sonata's styling. Once a standout and alternative to the boring family sedan, to now a boring family sedan. People in this segment now expect more thanks to the newer Accord, refreshed Camry, Kia Optima, Ford Fusion, and the last gen Sonata. It's a bit sad Hyundai could be losing the game it invented.
Old 10-24-14, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If the low sales start is true, I'd say I'm not surprised. Hyundai completely did a 180 with the new Sonata's styling. Once a standout and alternative to the boring family sedan, to now a boring family sedan. People in this segment now expect more thanks to the newer Accord, refreshed Camry, Kia Optima, Ford Fusion, and the last gen Sonata. It's a bit sad Hyundai could be losing the game it invented.
That was basically the whole idea with the new styling. According to some magazines, Hyundai told them that, with the new Sonata, they were basically going after the people they didn't get with the last model...those that liked a more conservative design. Ford essentially did the same thing in 2000, with the Taurus, after the excessive over-styling of the oval-themed 1995-99 models. That over-styling had cost Ford a significant amount of sales. Even with the new Fusion (which is certainly more boldly styled than the last one) people don't seem to be buying it as much for its looks as its excellent road-manners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-24-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've seen a lot of new Sonatas on the road...

Quick Reply: 2015 Hyundai Sonata