Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

loaded Venza Limited or Acura RDX (fwd) with Technology package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 11:42 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Both look meh to me, though I used to like the Venza, I wasn't aware that it was a rattle trap till now .

Ever think of a minivan? The new Sienna Sport dropped looks SICK.
Old 08-10-13, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Both look meh to me, though I used to like the Venza, I wasn't aware that it was a rattle trap till now .

Ever think of a minivan? The new Sienna Sport dropped looks SICK.
was going to say something about the 'rear' of the sienna that i don't like (looks more squared off than a bus). i did a google image search for sienna to illustrate my point, but the search results weren't quite what i expected.
Attached Thumbnails loaded Venza Limited or Acura RDX (fwd) with Technology package?-sienna-search.jpg  
Old 08-10-13, 12:16 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^You forgot to turn your safe search on Hehe.
Old 08-10-13, 01:07 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You mean RWD? I don't know of any 4Runner since it's inception in 1984 of being FWD
Haha, Yeah...meant to write 2wd not fwd.
Old 08-10-13, 01:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was going to say something about the 'rear' of the sienna that i don't like (looks more squared off than a bus). i did a google image search for sienna to illustrate my point, but the search results weren't quite what i expected.
that's just perfect

Originally Posted by KBALL
Haha, Yeah...meant to write 2wd not fwd.
hah ok just checkin'
Old 08-10-13, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym
Venza (fwd) Limited

cons:
long in the tooth (debuted back in '09)
cheap interior material that rattles a lot (lots of plastics)
roof line too low to pair with the 20'' wheels
Toyota brand vs Acura, service, customer experience may be a step down
Those ludicrous 19" and 20" standard wheels on the Venza, IMO, are a major negative. It would be far better off, IMO, with 17" wheels like on its Subaru Outback competitor. Those big wheels/tires not only stiffen up the ride quite a bit, lose some bad-weather traction (necessating the AWD model), and lose pothole/curb protection, but are also quite expensive to replace if you DO get damage from impacts.
Old 08-10-13, 07:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sienna's got a huge rear seat... but on the other hand, no woman will give it to you in a Sienna.
Old 08-12-13, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Sienna's got a huge rear seat... but on the other hand, no woman will give it to you in a Sienna.
An old but inaccurate stereotype. Vehicles, in fact, have very little to do with sex. If a woman is in love with you, it's not necessarily going to be because of your car.
Old 08-12-13, 09:16 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm leaning toward the RDX at this point. but i'll wait for the '15 model. there are reports of faulty shocks on the '13 and '14 models that make clunking noise in cold weather. Audi A5 2.0T was also a possibility but the interior room is just too small.
Old 08-12-13, 09:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An old but inaccurate stereotype. Vehicles, in fact, have very little to do with sex. If a woman is in love with you, it's not necessarily going to be because of your car.
I don't think that's what he meant. LOL

He's not looking for a wife, just a quicky!
Old 08-12-13, 09:44 AM
LexFather

OCh, google "Vankulture" I'd take the Sienna and mod it over both anyday.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i'm leaning toward the RDX at this point. but i'll wait for the '15 model. there are reports of faulty shocks on the '13 and '14 models that make clunking noise in cold weather. Audi A5 2.0T was also a possibility but the interior room is just too small.
Why? How is a new RDX any better than a 2004 RX outside of better MPG and better NAV?

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878566

Read that thread. These are all the features it DOES NOT have. These features are in Toyotas, Fords, Kias, Hyundais, etc etc.

For years and to this day people bash the RX for being a blandmobile and here is a new one even blander with less luxury, features and value and its an option?

Old 08-12-13, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hypervish
I don't think that's what he meant. LOL

He's not looking for a wife, just a quicky!
Yeah...but that involves another whole moral issue, and we won't get into that here in this forum.
Old 08-12-13, 01:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
OCh, google "Vankulture" I'd take the Sienna and mod it over both anyday.

Toyota Siennas | Swagger Wagons | Vossen Wheels - YouTube

Why? How is a new RDX any better than a 2004 RX outside of better MPG and better NAV?

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878566

Read that thread. These are all the features it DOES NOT have. These features are in Toyotas, Fords, Kias, Hyundais, etc etc.

For years and to this day people bash the RX for being a blandmobile and here is a new one even blander with less luxury, features and value and its an option?

Thank you. BTW I am still working on the wife to see if we can drop a set of Vossen wheels on the new Sienna we just picked up. I think the 20x10.5 all the way around would look great

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-12-13 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 02:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
How is a new RDX any better than a 2004 RX outside of better MPG and better NAV?
it's 10 years newer?

true, but not everyone wants a zillion features (as stated in posts 3 and 4 there at least). read this review to see while they acknowledge it doesn't have ever bell and whistle, what is does have is decent power (unlike some of those others), decent economy, great comfort, and overall good value.

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2014/

for years you compare lexus and acura, and for years i've tried to tell you they don't compete. different vehicles, different buyers.
Old 08-12-13, 02:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for years you compare lexus and acura, and for years i've tried to tell you they don't compete. different vehicles, different buyers.
I agree with this regarding their sedans.

However, between the RX and RDX (geez, even the names sound the same), they do offer the "same" type of car but in a "different" package. They are direct competitors.

As for the OP, I find that the Venza and RDX are not direct competitors. The Highlander is more appropriate. Nonetheless, the OP must decide whether a loaded Venza or a base RDX is a better fit to their lifestyle, and, of course, their budget.

Looking at the OP's cons list, I would make such suggestions:

Venza (fwd) Limited
cons:
long in the tooth (debuted back in '09) Cars built after the midcycle refresh are better
cheap interior material that rattles a lot (lots of plastics) Build issue is reflected with price; may be a non-issue after midcycle refresh
roof line too low to pair with the 20'' wheels Easily modifiable
Toyota brand vs Acura, service, customer experience may be a step down If you get service at a dealer, it's an issue. If you have your own mechanic, it's not an issue. Most members do NOT use dealership service.

RDX (fwd) with Tech package
cons:
vcm equipped iVTEC V6 (engagement and disengagement are noticeable for some) How did it feel when you test drove?
kind of a girly car Does this really matter?
smallish interior space Does this really matter?
more expensive Again, build issue is reflected with the price

Quick Reply: loaded Venza Limited or Acura RDX (fwd) with Technology package?