Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Revival: The New 2014 Indian Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 09:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Revival: The New 2014 Indian Motorcycles

The New Indian Motorcycles
August 4, 2013
By Tim Watson
RideApart Link

Indian Motorcycle, owned by powersports conglomerate Polaris Industries, which also has Victory motorcycles in its portfolio, began a viral marketing campaign earlier this year with series of ‘sneak peek’ looks at its new Indian Chief motorcycle. Everything from the Chief’s engine specification to the retail pricing was revealed over the ensuing months with the exception of the actual bike itself.

It’s been a long wait and thousands of bike enthusiasts at Sturgis were finally rewarded at the weekend with seeing, for the first time, the new Indian three model line-up that consists of the Indian Chief Classic, the Indian Chief Vintage and the range flagship, the Indian Chieftain.

Entry into the Indian Chief Motorcycle range starts at $18,999 for the Chief Classic. For that you get a motorcycle which looks similar to Indian models from the past. This is because there’s valanced front and rear fenders covering the brake calipers, the iconic ‘War Bonnet’ light (an art deco styled running light in the shape of an Indian chief head mounted on the front fender), tear drop tank and leather saddle. There’s also a ton of chrome as you would expect and on the Classic’s tank (and on the Vintage and Chieftain) there’s the famous Indian script logo that was first used on its motorcycles back in 1910.

The equipment levels on the Chief Classic include keyless ignition, ABS, cruise control, throttle-by-wire and a tank-mounted console that includes both analog and digital displays.

Next step up is the Indian Chief Vintage at $20,999. This is the soft bagger in the line-up and, for that, you get the same traditional Indian styling cues and equipment levels of the Classic, but also whitewall tires, a quick release windshield and leather saddlebags and tan leather fringe for the saddle.

At $22,999 is the Indian Chieftain the Indian Motorcycle flagship. This is the hard bagger of the range and features a fork mounted fairing with integrated driving lights and LED turn signals.

The Chieftain’s hard fairing incorporates a windshield that is power-adjustable to improve airflow and rider protection. There’s also a comprehensive digital instrument layout that includes tire pressure monitoring, an audio system with speakers and integrated Bluetooth smart-phone connection. The hard bags on the Chieftain are quick release and feature remote electric locks operated by a console-mounted button or on the key fob. The Chieftain also has the same specification of ABS, cruise control, throttle-by-wire as the other two Chief models.
Old 08-05-13, 01:28 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always admired old Indian motorcycles, such big cruisers.
Old 08-05-13, 02:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

wish I knew more about bikes.
Old 08-05-13, 05:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So it's just nostalgic like Harley D.?
Old 08-05-13, 05:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So it's just nostalgic like Harley D.?
Yes, but with far more technology.

Indian is now owned my Polaris, which makes Victory motorcycles, and, of course, off-road ATVs and snowmobiles.

Brand loyalty is only third to Harley and Vespa.