Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Test Drive Review: 2013 Audi A5 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 10:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i dislike trim names like "premium plus"

also, dunno if it's just those pics, but it looks pretty bland.

but thanks for the review!!
Got to get the Prestige Pkg.
Just a $9200 option.
Old 08-03-13, 11:09 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with the nomenclature?

Trust me, if it looks bland, it's the pics. If you've ever done car photography or have done a lot of in depth test driving, you'll know that there are very few photographs out there sans Photoshop enhancements that can truly show off a car's true characteristics and beauty. As with the Lexus IS, I think that the lines and the material quality of Audi's are incredibly difficult to capture in photos.

If you haven't sat in an brand new Audi or seen one up close, it can be very difficult to understand this.
Old 08-03-13, 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree, names like "premium, premium plus, and prestige" are elementary and corny titles. I shrugged when Audi started using these names with the A4.

If you think this car looks bland, it's probably the color of the test vehicle. Cuvee Silver is basically a gold with silver tones. And we all know gold does no favors for sporty or touring cars. This is actually a very rare color for the A5.

For what it's worth, if one went light on the options, he/she could get a Premium with auto trans, wood trim, and the jazzy front lights for a $40,250 MSRP. After some haggling and incentives, that's a heck of a deal for a sexy car.
Old 08-03-13, 10:57 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Who really cares about those titles? Seems like a strange thing to get hung up over..

and no, I cannot take it light on the options of the car that I buy. Features like navigation and rear view camera have saved me so many times and I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I absolutely need the B&O system. I need the best handling that I can get, so I need a Sport package too.
Old 08-04-13, 07:03 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, names like "premium, premium plus, and prestige" are elementary and corny titles. I shrugged when Audi started using these names with the A4.
Well sounds better than "stripped down", "minimum stuff that should be standard" and "overpriced".

At any rate, for 2014 it's even worse. Komfort, Progressiv and Technik.

Quatsch.
Old 08-10-13, 12:20 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

If you want a little more spice, order the s line or s line competition package. Mine should be here in a couple months. Misano Red with a 6spd manual.

Old 08-10-13, 02:06 AM
SimTide985
Driver

I know the S Line package very well. I sat inside an S Line the day that I test drove the Premium Plus. I really prefer the S Line seats, steering wheel, and exterior upgrades compared to the non S Line.

As for the S Line Competition Package, I'm not quite sold on it yet.

I need to see more real life photos of on different colors before I can buy into all of the black trim around the exterior.
Old 08-10-13, 10:58 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SimTide985
I know the S Line package very well. I sat inside an S Line the day that I test drove the Premium Plus. I really prefer the S Line seats, steering wheel, and exterior upgrades compared to the non S Line.

As for the S Line Competition Package, I'm not quite sold on it yet.

I need to see more real life photos of on different colors before I can buy into all of the black trim around the exterior.
Here's a few more pics. I agree about some of the black pieces. I'm going to paint the blade/stone guard and mirror caps red soon after. The nice thing about this 4300 dollar package is that it is available on the premium plus, so you don't have to get the 9200 Prestige package to get this package.

this also include the 19 inch wheels with summer tires ($1300.00) and sport package ($1,000.00) so in reality, its more like 2000.00 extra which is a great deal for getting a flat bottom steering wheel, alcantara seats, piano black trim, sport pedals, ***** and s line exterior.

Last edited by fasteddy91; 08-10-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-10-13, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Well sounds better than "stripped down", "minimum stuff that should be standard" and "overpriced".

At any rate, for 2014 it's even worse. Komfort, Progressiv and Technik.

Quatsch.
lol.

could be worse... could be "noob", "poser", "baller"
Old 08-11-13, 10:03 AM
golfpunks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How reliable do you guys think these 2.0 turbo motors are
Old 08-11-13, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If you think this car looks bland, it's probably the color of the test vehicle. Cuvee Silver is basically a gold with silver tones. And we all know gold does no favors for sporty or touring cars. This is actually a very rare color for the A5.

For what it's worth, if one went light on the options, he/she could get a Premium with auto trans, wood trim, and the jazzy front lights for a $40,250 MSRP. After some haggling and incentives, that's a heck of a deal for a sexy car.
Those sound better than the boring LT1, LT2 etc.. trim names from Chevy

Not all are cookie cutter though, Jeep's Grand Cherokee and Ford's F-150 have a vast array of trims

JGC:
Laredo
Laredo E
Limited
Overland
Summit
SRT8

F-150:
XL
STX
XLT
FX2
Lariat
FX4
King Ranch
SVT Raptor
Platinum
Limited
Old 08-11-13, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by golfpunks
How reliable do you guys think these 2.0 turbo motors are
the VAG 2.0 seems to be a proven powertrain especially when mated to a DSG. It's always on Ward's Best Engine list
Old 08-11-13, 08:43 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
the VAG 2.0 seems to be a proven powertrain especially when mated to a DSG. It's always on Ward's Best Engine list
Thanks for the info...glad to hear the engine is rated so well.
Old 08-11-13, 08:58 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
Here's a few more pics. I agree about some of the black pieces. I'm going to paint the blade/stone guard and mirror caps red soon after. The nice thing about this 4300 dollar package is that it is available on the premium plus, so you don't have to get the 9200 Prestige package to get this package.

this also include the 19 inch wheels with summer tires ($1300.00) and sport package ($1,000.00) so in reality, its more like 2000.00 extra which is a great deal for getting a flat bottom steering wheel, alcantara seats, piano black trim, sport pedals, ***** and s line exterior.

God damn that looks beautiful.

Will this same color/package be available for the A4?

Last edited by SimTide985; 08-12-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 09:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like this model but the Audi lines are little too simple for me in many cases. I like a little flare and design style in my cars
Meh, after the spindle grill I yearn a bit for the simplicity of older days. I think Audi does a good job of mixing some edge with this (of course excepting the R8), and the A5 isn't an exception.

I agree, names like "premium, premium plus, and prestige" are elementary and corny titles.
Yeah. Especially when they even put them on something like the R8.

Quick Reply: My Test Drive Review: 2013 Audi A5 Premium Plus