Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 12:55 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love the idea of the Hyundai Equus.

I think the car isn't the kind of car that I would want to own per se, but I still admire everything about it. I sat inside a 2013 model at the NAIAS earlier this year and if the timing worked out, I wouldn't mind at least test driving it to see how well the luxury blends with the performance.
Old 08-02-13, 12:56 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although Hyundai did pretty well with having the testicular fortitude to bring out the Equus, I still stand by my feelings that they should not continue the model after this generation in the US market.

The brand is a big factor, and I feel it is a doomed project. I may be wrong, but I'm just putting it out there.

Seems to me the better idea would be to put the money that was poured into the North American Equus project and direct it into the mainstream lineup. I think Hyundai stands a much better chance at gaining sales/profit by attacking the market where they have traditionally stood. Trying to infiltrate the luxury bracket seems a bit far out, especially if your products have the flying H logo.

And please stop copying other brand's design language. It's so cheap
Old 08-02-13, 01:26 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by trexlexus
And please stop copying other brand's design language. It's so cheap
This is a misnomer, IMO.

Maybe I've just gotten used to seeing the Equus ever since it debuted, but I've been able to see more specific Hyundai design language infused into the Equus than people are willing to admit, especially in the interior, which I think is unique.

If you look hard enough at any car, you're going to find similarities. It's as simple as that. The Equus is no different in this regard.

Last edited by SimTide985; 08-02-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-02-13, 03:40 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The DTS/Deville has been FWD since 1985. It should be considered impressive that such a lowly company was able to come out with a Fullsize RWD luxury sedan and will be in their second generation by the time Cadillac actually brings their own Fullsize RWD luxury car to the market.

To be fair this car wasn't designed for the American market. It was targeted at Korean businessmen and women to be chauffeured in. No real emphasis put on exterior design, front center console design and quality or a sporting chassis. But taking a look at Hyundai's lineup since the inception of their Fluidic Sculpture design language as well as spy photos and videos of the next gen Genesis sedan on the Nurburgring I believe the next Equus will receive a radical redesign.
Hyundai has been experimenting with luxury cars for a while now, this Equus is hardly their first effort. They've had time to build on previous and arguably poor efforts like the Amanti and XG350 not to mention a slew of others not offered in NA.

The Equus still has a lot more maturing to do, and will probably take 2 more generations. Same goes for Cadillac. The ATS is their Equus, though to a higher standard of execution. Still the ATS suffers from a few things that need to be refined in future generations before it can truly challenge the most mature in the segment. A Cadillac full size RWD sedan will suffer from the same thing. No way will they fully challenge the new S-class on all levels in just one generation.
Old 08-02-13, 04:27 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Hyundai has been experimenting with luxury cars for a while now, this Equus is hardly their first effort. They've had time to build on previous and arguably poor efforts like the Amanti and XG350 not to mention a slew of others not offered in NA.

The Equus still has a lot more maturing to do, and will probably take 2 more generations. Same goes for Cadillac. The ATS is their Equus, though to a higher standard of execution. Still the ATS suffers from a few things that need to be refined in future generations before it can truly challenge the most mature in the segment. A Cadillac full size RWD sedan will suffer from the same thing. No way will they fully challenge the new S-class on all levels in just one generation.
Umm...but like I said this is Hyundai's FIRST attempt at a Fullsize RWD luxury sedan.

Of course they have a lot of maturing to do. Who said they didn't? The ATS is NOT anything like the Equus. The ATS already beat the 3-series in one test the only thing that needs revising is the CUE system and Transmission. The chassis is highly superior to that of the 3-series.
Old 08-02-13, 08:18 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Umm...but like I said this is Hyundai's FIRST attempt at a Fullsize RWD luxury sedan.

Of course they have a lot of maturing to do. Who said they didn't? The ATS is NOT anything like the Equus. The ATS already beat the 3-series in one test the only thing that needs revising is the CUE system and Transmission. The chassis is highly superior to that of the 3-series.
The ATS lacks the polish that can only come from generations of refinement. General consensus is that it has a great chassis, lackluster everything else.
Old 08-03-13, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The ATS lacks the polish that can only come from generations of refinement. General consensus is that it has a great chassis, lackluster everything else.
I recently reviewed a V6 ATS. Its competency includes more than just a top-handling chassis. It also has an interior that is generally well-done and well-finished, and the overall assembly quality and fit/finish is top-notch, especially compared to older GM products. But the previous poster was right. It is not the same type of car as an Equus by any means....nor was it designed to be.

The ATS is their Equus
I think this is a typo....the poster probably meant the Cadillac XTS, which is a flagship like the Equus.
Old 08-03-13, 09:43 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I recently reviewed a V6 ATS. Its competency includes more than just a top-handling chassis. It also has an interior that is generally well-done and well-finished, and the overall assembly quality and fit/finish is top-notch, especially compared to older GM products. But the previous poster was right. It is not the same type of car as an Equus by any means....nor was it designed to be.

I think this is a typo....the poster probably meant the Cadillac XTS, which is a flagship like the Equus.
It's not a typo. I didn't say the ATS competed with the Equus. The ATS and Equus are two first generation products going after world class competition.
Old 08-03-13, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not a typo. I didn't say the ATS competed with the Equus. The ATS and Equus are two first generation products going after world class competition.
OK...I suspected that might be what you were saying, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-03-13, 09:59 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Well technically the Equus is in its second generation and the ATS marks Cadillac's 4th entry into the entry level RWD compact luxury sedan market with the first being the Catera then first and second gen CTS and now the ATS.
Old 08-03-13, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

maybe we can leave the ATS, CTS out of this thread (pretty irrelevant). thanks.
Old 08-03-13, 11:15 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Hmmm

I guess the resale/depreciation on the Equus isn't looking too good.

I mean, I checked cars.com and there are a ton of preowned 2011 and 2012 Equus well under $40k.
Old 08-03-13, 01:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LS400 was Toyotas first attempt too, and easily beat the competition. Equis is DOA.
Old 08-03-13, 02:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Well technically the Equus is in its second generation and the ATS marks Cadillac's 4th entry into the entry level RWD compact luxury sedan market with the first being the Catera then first and second gen CTS and now the ATS.
Both are from the ground up brand new platforms.
Old 08-03-13, 06:35 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Both are from the ground up brand new platforms.
So is the platform for the new 3-series.