Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 05:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sometimes when your Lexus, BMW, or MB breaks down - you can replace the broken part with an aftermarket one, that is significantly cheaper than original. Usually these parts do the job, but don't work as well, and don't last as long. This Haiyondie is like a giant aftermarket part.
Yes, very good analogy. Also in extreme or demanding situations, an aftermarket part can fail, and put you in dangerous situations.

A long time ago, I had an aftermarket part fail on an old car under heavy breaking. I was lucky I was not seriously injured. Since then I only go with quality, and get OEM whenever possible.
Old 08-01-13, 06:16 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone in this thread who says that the Hyundai cannot be compared to the LS. Not even close. That interior is terrible.

Out Lexus the LS? Idiots. No respect. Hyundai and KIA are literally the last brands I would shop in any category, period. Their products are obviously fine and sell well, but not for me.

If anything, the Equus is like the Dollar Store generic knockoff version of the LS.....like those weird off brand Cheeze Its..............

And I'm not exactly a badge snob. It's widely known around these parts that I dislike BMW, but I would have no problem paying $60k for something like a VW Phaeton because that is a truly awesome luxury car (still sad they killed it in the US now that I'm getting to a point where I could afford one). But this Hyundai abortion? No way, no how.

To put it another way, buying an Equus over an LS would be like paying $20 for a Big Mac Value Meal instead of paying $28 for a real dinner at a decent local restaurant.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-01-13 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 09:08 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't agree
Line them up side by side and you certainly will. Starting from the outside look at the bodywork on the two cars, the LS is more sophisticated. Look at the paint work, the LS will be higher quality. Get inside and feel the materials, the LS will feel better. Take it for a drive and compare the refinement, the LS will be superior.

I'd easily buy a used 2007-2012 LS before I'd buy a new Equus. I don't find the Equus appealing on any level.
Old 08-01-13, 09:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Line them up side by side and you certainly will. Starting from the outside look at the bodywork on the two cars, the LS is more sophisticated. Look at the paint work, the LS will be higher quality. Get inside and feel the materials, the LS will feel better. Take it for a drive and compare the refinement, the LS will be superior.

I'd easily buy a used 2007-2012 LS before I'd buy a new Equus. I don't find the Equus appealing on any level.
I still vividly remember the very first time I sat in the current gen LS and got to examine it and test it. It was a 2007 loaded dealer model when the current gen had just came out and was brand new. I still remember how supple the seats were, how soft the leather was, how perfectly damped and balanced all the switches and buttons were, how brilliant the 19 speaker ML audio system was, and how amazingly refined the 4.6L V8 was.
Old 08-01-13, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
[B][

[CENTER]"A Lesson In How To Out-Lexus The LS"

rl]

Old 08-01-13, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

car will continue to appeal to (a few) well off but cheap retirees. they'll tell all their friends over a round of golf how it's just as good or better than other luxury brands, blah, blah.

it's a nice car. it just has few customers who will find it appealing.
Old 08-01-13, 03:43 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this car seems so bland and boring. Absolutely no excitement. u can get more kicks on something half the cost.
Old 08-01-13, 07:53 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Applause for having a top-to-bottom lineup that has been slavishly and arrogantly copied from the competition, with zero honor and no respect?

No, they deserve two big fat thumbs down from me, and that's all they get. Just because Hyundai is SO desperate (like so many South Korean companies) to be compared with and talked in the same breath as established, more prestigious companies, doesn't mean Hyundai automatically achieves that status. Trying hard and being desperate with no other considerations is not enough, and does not grant Hyundai anything. Hyundai has to earn its reputation, status, and respect and they've done nothing of the sort to earn it.
Of course. I agree with you in the fact that Hyundai has a FILTHY habit of copying. I think that is a terrible thing to do. In fact, that is the main reason why I don't really look up to this company. I', willing to bet you feel the same way. Yes, Lexus has done that as well, but they have stopped.

I was just saying that the fact that a brand that produces a cheap Accent that has the ability to produce a car of the Equus magnitude deserves at least some recognition. Even if i do not like the company, I'm not going to withold, what I feel, is a deserved applause. Established luxuries like Cadillac hasn't offered what the Equus is offering. Is the Equus a shameless copy? Pretty much. But the interior and amenities offered for the price is a really good deal.

Is the Equus comparable to the established luxury flagships? Maybe not. Was it a good attempt from an economy car producer? I think so.
Old 08-02-13, 05:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Of course. I agree with you in the fact that Hyundai has a FILTHY habit of copying. I think that is a terrible thing to do. In fact, that is the main reason why I don't really look up to this company. I', willing to bet you feel the same way. Yes, Lexus has done that as well, but they have stopped.

I was just saying that the fact that a brand that produces a cheap Accent that has the ability to produce a car of the Equus magnitude deserves at least some recognition. Even if i do not like the company, I'm not going to withold, what I feel, is a deserved applause. Established luxuries like Cadillac hasn't offered what the Equus is offering. Is the Equus a shameless copy? Pretty much. But the interior and amenities offered for the price is a really good deal.

Is the Equus comparable to the established luxury flagships? Maybe not. Was it a good attempt from an economy car producer? I think so.
Fair enough but I still disagree that they should be given such credit.

Really? Technically Cadillac offered something similar many years ago, with the Cadillac DTS. It was a RWD, full-size V8 luxury sedan. Plus Cadillac has had (and still has) some models which Hyundai could only dream of, like the XLR, and the Cadillac V models with their incredible performance. I'm not even a Cadillac fan, but I'll easily give credit to Cadillac before I give any to Hyundai.
Old 08-02-13, 07:51 AM
LexFather

Well lets be honest they have succeeded where some luxury brands have failed. I mean for 60k do u take this or a rlx or xts as the article states?

Ill take this.

It's really not bad, it might be a clear LS copy but its not a terrible or bad car by any means and surely has helped raise hyundai's image.

The next generation could be something...

Old 08-02-13, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
car will continue to appeal to (a few) well off but cheap retirees. .
There's sometimes a difference between being "cheap" and spending one's money wisely, especially when it comes to car-buying.
Old 08-02-13, 08:39 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Well lets be honest they have succeeded where some luxury brands have failed. I mean for 60k do u take this or a rlx or xts as the article states?

Ill take this.

It's really not bad, it might be a clear LS copy but its not a terrible or bad car by any means and surely has helped raise hyundai's image.

exactly...it's a REALLY good first attempt by Hyundai and it'll only get better. you seriously can't go wrong with this at 60k brand new...10yr warranty, no trip needed to a dealer, plus a loaner delivered, and free iPad it does have its perks that appeals to the elder folks, no refuting that
Old 08-02-13, 10:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Ill take this..
Actually, on exterior styling alone, I'd rather take a used DTS, and save some money . I can't stand the Equus exterior personally, and the interior is forgettable. Yes the DTS interior is also forgettable, but the DTS exterior at least is *unique* and iconically Cadillac. You won't mistake it for anything other than a Cadillac.

You mean a better copy?

Sorry, but whatever the next-gen is, the next-gen LS will blow it away. I expect the next-gen LS to be a huge leap.

Heck why even talk about the LS? The 2013 GS interior easily beats the Equus interior. The next-gen Equus will first have to worry about even matching and beating the GS interior, not even getting into what the next-gen LS will be.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-02-13 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-02-13, 11:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
exactly...it's a REALLY good first attempt by Hyundai and it'll only get better. you seriously can't go wrong with this at 60k brand new...10yr warranty, no trip needed to a dealer, plus a loaner delivered, and free iPad it does have its perks that appeals to the elder folks, no refuting that
I agree. it's not really that big of a deal. Just a car company putting out a model they think/hope will find a market. Different companies have different approaches.
Old 08-02-13, 12:42 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Fair enough but I still disagree that they should be given such credit.

Really? Technically Cadillac offered something similar many years ago, with the Cadillac DTS. It was a RWD, full-size V8 luxury sedan. Plus Cadillac has had (and still has) some models which Hyundai could only dream of, like the XLR, and the Cadillac V models with their incredible performance. I'm not even a Cadillac fan, but I'll easily give credit to Cadillac before I give any to Hyundai.
The DTS/Deville has been FWD since 1985. It should be considered impressive that such a lowly company was able to come out with a Fullsize RWD luxury sedan and will be in their second generation by the time Cadillac actually brings their own Fullsize RWD luxury car to the market.

To be fair this car wasn't designed for the American market. It was targeted at Korean businessmen and women to be chauffeured in. No real emphasis put on exterior design, front center console design and quality or a sporting chassis. But taking a look at Hyundai's lineup since the inception of their Fluidic Sculpture design language as well as spy photos and videos of the next gen Genesis sedan on the Nurburgring I believe the next Equus will receive a radical redesign.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Hyundai Equus