Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Old 11-11-14, 11:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zema
Nothing on the LC/SC?
Nope nothing on the LC or SC yet. Maybe he just didnt tell me.

It looks like the 3.5l V6 is going to be dumped mainly because of the fuel economy meaning that they cant sell it in other markets, particularly Europe. Obviously we dont get the RX350 here anyway so they may just keep it in the US as they have currently.

When I meant a lot bigger, I meant in every direction. Basically RR Sport size but its strictly 5 seater. No idea on if 2 extra kiddy seats will be offered however.

G Star - Here in the UK the ML only comes with diesel rattle bangers and costs ££6-7k if specified to the same level. Its more of a competitor for the RR Sport which wins on all accounts. The ML utilises a 2.1l four cylinder diesel as the ML250 CDI which is just tragic. The ML350 CDI is better but by no means is it refined, its still a clattery diesel at the end of the day and there are certain bits which I dislike, including the hard leather which feels more like vinyl in my book and the box-like design of the 1990's.

If there is an RX200t, expect 0-60s in about 7.5 - 8s if its 245hp. My source said its highly likely itll be tuned to push out a very similiar output to the current RX350 which would make the 350 obsolete.

The RX450h could be anywhere between 315-340hp depending on whether they put power or economy as a priority.
Old 11-11-14, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

sounds to me like the next rx will be based off the highlander platform to get the extra size, and just give it cavernous 5 seat setup and luxury. sounds great to me!
Old 11-11-14, 11:12 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, sounds good to me too. I'd rather have a large rear than a near unusable 3rs row.
Old 11-11-14, 11:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If they keep increasing size generations after generations, it'll eventually be as big as a Suburban!
Old 11-11-14, 11:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans

It looks like the 3.5l V6 is going to be dumped mainly because of the fuel economy meaning that they cant sell it in other markets, particularly Europe. Obviously we dont get the RX350 here anyway so they may just keep it in the US as they have currently.

When I meant a lot bigger, I meant in every direction. Basically RR Sport size but its strictly 5 seater. No idea on if 2 extra kiddy seats will be offered however.

G Star - Here in the UK the ML only comes with diesel rattle bangers and costs ££6-7k if specified to the same level. Its more of a competitor for the RR Sport which wins on all accounts. The ML utilises a 2.1l four cylinder diesel as the ML250 CDI which is just tragic. The ML350 CDI is better but by no means is it refined, its still a clattery diesel at the end of the day and there are certain bits which I dislike, including the hard leather which feels more like vinyl in my book and the box-like design of the 1990's.

If there is an RX200t, expect 0-60s in about 7.5 - 8s if its 245hp. My source said its highly likely itll be tuned to push out a very similiar output to the current RX350 which would make the 350 obsolete.

The RX450h could be anywhere between 315-340hp depending on whether they put power or economy as a priority.
We already know the size of new RX... I dont think growing 10cm is a large change.

RX350 is also not going anywhere, it will not be sold in Europe, as usual these days anyway... except in Russia and Ukraine.
I doubt 200t will be much different than in NX. It is basically a low cost option for those countries that dont have CO2 taxes.
Old 11-11-14, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If they keep increasing size generations after generations, it'll eventually be as big as a Suburban!
While it's true vehicles typically evolve into something bigger, there are the times when the 'reset' button is pressed. Current Cadillac SRX is evident of that but the upcoming XT6 should continue the 'larger than outgoing' trend too. And sometimes when a model is discontinued but a name reappears this can also 'reset' the size hah
Old 11-11-14, 05:04 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm so excited for Lexus' future, they always had the comfort and plush quality interiors down, now that they're coming out with more sporty and aggressive trend setting designs, they have the full package to compete at tomorrow's level.
Old 11-12-14, 07:32 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please ask him about the next Land Cruiser/LX570 when you talk to him next. I would appreciate!!!!

Last edited by flyfishman; 11-17-14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-12-14, 03:59 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
We already know the size of new RX... I dont think growing 10cm is a large change.

RX350 is also not going anywhere, it will not be sold in Europe, as usual these days anyway... except in Russia and Ukraine.
I doubt 200t will be much different than in NX. It is basically a low cost option for those countries that dont have CO2 taxes.
Like I said, growing in all directions including height. Makes it seem much bigger when its extended each way.

If 200t power output is increased, there would be no point in having the 350 though. If its pushing out 270hp, RX350 is dead as there would be no decent reason to choose it.

Its very possible that the first year will come with the 3.5l V6 but then it may get discontinued the next model year like in the IS
Old 11-12-14, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Like I said, growing in all directions including height. Makes it seem much bigger when its extended each way.

If 200t power output is increased, there would be no point in having the 350 though. If its pushing out 270hp, RX350 is dead as there would be no decent reason to choose it.

Its very possible that the first year will come with the 3.5l V6 but then it may get discontinued the next model year like in the IS
Raayans - we already knew some info about RX, because it was leaked in Taiwanese mags as well as Japanese... then there was a Lexus dealer meeting that confirmed that info. So size and engine types were known, but not much "subjective" info was leaked - such as design and interior.

Basically, engine will be new 2GR-FSE, with D4S (this is similar to GS, unlike current RX) likely with new enhancements such as what V8 in RC-F got (atkinson cycle at cruise and others).

I have no idea why would you think that 350 would be dead, probably because you are in Europe (like me). In USA, people prefer V6 to 4cly turbo, especially if it gets great mpg like what new one should. Proper advanced GR engine is going be a lot better for this car than small turbo.

Turbo engine will be for rest of the Europe (Russia), Aussie, China and Japan likely.

So it is slightly enlarged, with 2.0l, 3.5l V6 and 450h. I hope they will also add low end hybrid as well.

As to the rest of the info, maybe LS will also get lower end engine? Right now it only has 600h version in most European countries, which is making it crazy expensive.
Old 11-12-14, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Not in the US...the 3.5L will always have a place here, even if power output from the 4 was made to match the 6. They'd come out with a more powerful 6.

Personally, I just don't want a 4 in a luxury car.
Old 11-13-14, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

Personally, I just don't want a 4 in a luxury car.
Neither do a lot of other people (including me), but the Government CAFE and emissions rules are forcing smaller engines into a lot of vehicles that once came with sixes and eights.
Old 11-13-14, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Neither do a lot of other people (including me), but the Government CAFE and emissions rules are forcing smaller engines into a lot of vehicles that once came with sixes and eights.
Which is fine, but we need options other than a 4. I dont have an issue with the 200t being the standard engine in the RX, as long as I can upgrade to a 6.
Old 11-13-14, 06:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Which is fine, but we need options other than a 4. I dont have an issue with the 200t being the standard engine in the RX, as long as I can upgrade to a 6.
i am fairly certain that RX200t wont be coming to USA anytime soon. New 2GR-FSE will have much improved fuel economy and with D4S, it should also have over 300hp in RX.
Old 11-14-14, 10:20 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as it doesn't retain the current 3.5 and 6 speed, then I'll be happy. It needs at the very least, the direct/port of the GS with an 8 speed. However, I think they can detune it from the current 306hp to about 290 to get higher mpg numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation