Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Old 09-14-14, 11:07 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I dont know about the NX hybrid. But certainly the 200T will not have a candle against the RX creamy V6. Beside, the RX350 has more space. Why not ?

The exact reason why I didn't buy Audi Q5 vs the RX350 for my wife. V6 powered and spacious interior.
Old 09-14-14, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Well, I dont know about the NX hybrid. But certainly the 200T will not have a candle against the RX creamy V6. Beside, the RX350 has more space. Why not ?

The exact reason why I didn't buy Audi Q5 vs the RX350 for my wife. V6 powered and spacious interior.
While I do agree that the 3.5 is creamy smooth, I think I would rather have a turbo 4 in a NX. The 3.5 really makes no sense for a smaller SUV.

I also want new engines from Lexus, the current 3.5 has been on the market unchanged since 2005. I want something new, the 3.5 has been in service for 11 model years, so it is time for something new

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 01:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus and Toyota are not stupid. Whatever they bring to the table will have to be their go to engine, that goes into almost every mainstream lexus and toyota model, from the Camry, avalon, highlander, sienna, all the way to the Lexus IS, ES, RX, and their hybrid models.

That new engine will be used for the next 10 years. Im sure they are investing heavily on something that won't be obsolete so soon
Old 10-01-14, 07:45 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
An update to my sales projections for the RX in 2014. Lexus should sell well over 103,000 RX's in the U.S. alone...even with the NX coming out very soon, the RX will hold it's ground.
An update to my sales projections for the RX in 2014. Lexus should sell well over 101,000 RX's in the U.S. alone...the NX should start selling at the end of this month or the beginning of November...very curious to see how the RX will be affected...
Old 10-01-14, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

yup, the rx sells 7-9k a month so ~100k is obviously about right. i don't expect the nx to impact rx sales a whole lot as it's quite a bit smaller (i think).
Old 10-01-14, 11:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, the rx sells 7-9k a month so ~100k is obviously about right. i don't expect the nx to impact rx sales a whole lot as it's quite a bit smaller (i think).
Lexus expects 5%-10% impact... but obviously sales of the both will be 30-40% bigger than RX alone.

RX will certainly stay more comfortable, luxurious and bigger, when it gets released... plus it will also certainly not have such polarizing styling (while still being more adventurous than current RX).
Old 10-06-14, 10:03 PM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New RX spy pics, can't really make out much but pics none the less.

http://www.mag-x.com/shop/products/d...?product_id=62
Old 10-07-14, 05:51 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup
New RX spy pics, can't really make out much but pics none the less.

http://www.mag-x.com/shop/products/d...?product_id=62
Thanks for the heads up! It's now been a year since the first AL10-based RX200t mules were caught in September 2013, so it's expected now. Will show these my sister, as proof that it's finally coming. Wondering if is designated AL20?

Old 11-10-14, 03:38 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK so Ive been told by a source here in the UK that he has sat in the 2016 RX and seen the 2017 LS and the GS-F. He works for Lexus and seen the prototypes, sat in them etc.

Here's what I managed to squeeze out of him:

1 - Very large spindle grill on the front (typical Lexus then lol)
2 - LED headlights similiar to the RC-F and NX
3 - Standard 20" alloys ( these will be on F Sport models and higher spec versions)
4 - A lot bigger than the current RX but still ONLY a 5 seater
5 - Interior has been vastly improved, its an uber luxurious place to be!
6 - It does NOT blend into the background, very distinctive. Apparently the C pillar is the most distinctive element and he hasnt seen anything like it before
7 - Standard 12.3" widescreen across the range
8 - Not as edgy overall as the NX but it makes an X5 look pedestrian (his words not mine)
9 - Engines are the current 3.5l V6 hybrid with a few tweaks (not sure what though but expect greater economy and about 315hp) and 2.0 turbo four cylinder (he thinks its going to push out 245hp approx)
10 - Car is bigger but the use of aluminium in the body means it wont weigh much more than the current RX

OH and he mentioned that the 2017 LS is insane and its been designed to go head to head with the S Class. Its coming with a twin turbo V6 and the best bit? Price reduction by 30% or so in the UK for the base model.

First customer deliveries are coming in 2016 so expect to start seeing pictures, specs etc on the web in winter 2015
Old 11-10-14, 02:15 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^^^Thanks for the update...I look forward to the next generation 4RX and LS...exciting times...
Old 11-10-14, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I hope they don't ditch the 3.5 V6 in the next RX. Additional weight of a larger vehicle and the loss of 25 hp with a turbo 4 does not appeal to me. I assume they'll keep a version of the 3.5 for the US.

Last edited by JDR76; 11-10-14 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 03:04 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
OK so Ive been told by a source here in the UK that he has sat in the 2016 RX and seen the 2017 LS and the GS-F. He works for Lexus and seen the prototypes, sat in them etc.

3 - Standard 20" alloys ( these will be on F Sport models and higher spec versions)
6 - It does NOT blend into the background, very distinctive. Apparently the C pillar is the most distinctive element and he hasnt seen anything like it before
8 - Not as edgy overall as the NX but it makes an X5 look pedestrian (his words not mine)
9 - Engines are the current 3.5l V6 hybrid with a few tweaks (not sure what though but expect greater economy and about 315hp) and 2.0 turbo four cylinder (he thinks its going to push out 245hp approx)
10 - Car is bigger but the use of aluminium in the body means it wont weigh much more than the current RX

OH and he mentioned that the 2017 LS is insane and its been designed to go head to head with the S Class. Its coming with a twin turbo V6 and the best bit? Price reduction by 30% or so in the UK for the base model.

First customer deliveries are coming in 2016 so expect to start seeing pictures, specs etc on the web in winter 2015
Well if your source is a good one, then I'm definitely hoping for the RX to be bumped up in luxury. I know the RX is a strong sales product but comparing the ML and RX is no competition to me, I would chose ML anyday...even as a Lexus fanboy.

Also...I never had one doubt that Lexus wouldn't go head to head against the S Class. Lexus knows how to play this game, unfortunately their refresh game isn't on par with the aggressiveness of MB.
Old 11-10-14, 04:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know about your definition, or rather your source's definition of "a lot" but it'll be about 105 mm longer overall (~4 inches) with 50 mm (~2 inches) of wheelbase stretch relative to today's model. But yes, remains a 2 row vehicle.
Old 11-10-14, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know about your definition, or rather your source's definition of "a lot" but it'll be about 105 mm longer overall (~4 inches) with 50 mm (~2 inches) of wheelbase stretch relative to today's model. But yes, remains a 2 row vehicle.
yep... bigger for sure but also not huge... design might make it appear larger or something
Old 11-10-14, 05:45 PM
zema
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing on the LC/SC?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation