Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 12:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They either need to do one of two things:

1) Scrap "TX" and reposition the GX to be the unibody people-pleaser, and leave it at that
2) Bring the TX as a MDX/X5/QX60 competitor and differentiate the GX by butching it up (better styling, bigger engines, more attitude)

Lexus recently stated that the GX is extremely profitable, even in lower volumes, so I am inclined to think we will get both TX and GX, but with a significant effort to differentiate them.
Old 07-02-14, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'll place my bet now. No "TX" crossover...and the next RX will have three rows.
TX has been all but confirmed... question is if RX will have optional +2 seats like Highlander...
Old 07-04-14, 04:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

those who don't want the rx to have a third row may not have looked at the new highlander. first off, the 3rd row is tiny, but in a pinch it's handy to have. but folded down, it hardly makes the highlander 'worse' than the rx and only slightly bigger.

people do realize the third row doesn't need to be up, right? it does eat a bit of vertical cargo space when folded down, but it's not that bad.

on the other hand, vehicles like the jeep grand cherokee have stayed away from 3 rows, letting the bigger durango (which is otherwise mechanically very similar) provide that option.

perhaps lexus will do the rx as 2 row, and tx as 3 row. either way, a 3 row is likely coming.

as for the nx, distinguishing the new rx from it will be pretty easy (bigger, more luxurious).
Old 07-04-14, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Dealers were begging for a sub-RX model because they were bleeding against Q5 and GLK. Lexus initially resisted because they were happy with RX sales, but eventually agreed as that segment grew and execs realized a sub-RX model is critical to growth here in other global markets. Now we have the NX, which is going to be a very big test for the RX.
Lexus, IMO, has little choice but to bring out the NX, especially when the Lincoln MKC debuts shortly. Though it's still too early to make too much of a speculation, the MKC does seem to have the potential to succeed where other Lincoln products have failed.
Old 07-04-14, 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those who don't want the rx to have a third row may not have looked at the new highlander. first off, the 3rd row is tiny, but in a pinch it's handy to have. but folded down, it hardly makes the highlander 'worse' than the rx and only slightly bigger.

people do realize the third row doesn't need to be up, right? it does eat a bit of vertical cargo space when folded down, but it's not that bad.

on the other hand, vehicles like the jeep grand cherokee have stayed away from 3 rows, letting the bigger durango (which is otherwise mechanically very similar) provide that option..
Absolutely! Options are better than none IMHO.

As for the Jeep, Jeep is coming out with a 3 row vehicle, the Grand Wagoneer. Should be out in 2016. Rumor has it the Durango is not long for this world.
Old 07-05-14, 10:28 PM
LexFather

Great post MP!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus, IMO, has little choice but to bring out the NX, especially when the Lincoln MKC debuts shortly. Though it's still too early to make too much of a speculation, the MKC does seem to have the potential to succeed where other Lincoln products have failed.
I assure you Lexus decisions are not based on what Lincoln is doing.

Old 07-06-14, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i dont get it either, it is not as if we load our vehicles to the roof so that few inches of vertical cargo matters.
Old 07-06-14, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I load my vehicle to the roof for trips sometimes. BUT...it's not like the RX has an especially low floor...it doesn't.
Old 07-06-14, 10:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I load my vehicle to the roof for trips sometimes. BUT...it's not like the RX has an especially low floor...it doesn't.
now you got me thinking, if they implement all new platform for RX where they can position batteries under the seats, then we could see 5+2 seats as an option... if not, we will likely not see it due to the batteries being at back.

I also expect RX to get lots of engine options - like 2.0t, 300h, 450h as well as 350...
Old 07-06-14, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

a new rx can't come soon enough. just drove a brand new one.
Old 07-06-14, 08:45 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

a new rx can't come soon enough. just drove a brand new one.
The RX sold very well last year (2013) at 103,920 units and for 2014 Lexus should sell about 95,000 RX's in the U.S.
Old 07-23-14, 05:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Lexus still planning seven-seat crossover – Report

http://blog.performancelexus.ca/lexu...ssover-report/

Performance Lexus (Canada) – In case you’re thinking, “But Lexus already has a seven-seat crossover in the GX 460,” that’s actually a proper SUV – the body-on-frame kind with the massive footprint and floaty handling. A report in Automotive News says that Lexus is trying to figure out how to produce a true crossover with space for seven humans, with the options narrowed down to growing the RX (pictured) or sorting out a brand new model.

Toyota applied to trademark the name TX and that’s already been mooted in reports as a replacement for the GX, said to end its life in 2016. The latest report, however, suggests that the GX might not go away since it’s “highly profitable for the automaker, even at low volumes,” and that “TX coding could merely be for a seven-seat variant of the RX 350.” AN also wonders if this larger hauler would stay on the recently lengthened Toyota Highlander platform, which offers meager third-row seating, or switch to the rear-wheel-drive platform used by the IS and GS for tauter responsiveness. With Lexus saying it will be at least two years before it could be brought to Canadian market, we have a while to wait yet to find out.
Old 07-23-14, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

“TX coding could merely be for a seven-seat variant of the RX 350.”
ala Santa Fe and Veracruz lol
Old 07-23-14, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
The RX sold very well last year (2013) at 103,920 units and for 2014 Lexus should sell about 95,000 RX's in the U.S.
It is the creator of the segment, still the best seller in the segment and arguably still the best in the segment. Of course some people won't like it that don't like Lexus vehicles.

Old 09-12-14, 08:22 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Originally Posted by LexFather
It is the creator of the segment, still the best seller in the segment and arguably still the best in the segment. Of course some people won't like it that don't like Lexus vehicles.
An update to my sales projections for the RX in 2014. Lexus should sell well over 103,000 RX's in the U.S. alone...even with the NX coming out very soon, the RX will hold it's ground.

Last edited by Trexus; 09-12-14 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation