Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 08:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It may be beneficial as an option if Lexus kills off the GX or LX. Trim the fat off the line-up.

Maybe the RX can come in a regular and long version like the LS?
I don't think that will ever happen because they're so profitable - badge engineered from the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado which are sold around the world, so the R&D cost for GX and LX are minimal. Even if they sell in low volumes, they're still ridiculously profitable.

As much as I would rather see something wicked and GS based - a Lexus "X5" - I think we'll see the RX stay 2 rows for now, and then see the "TX" pop up with the same mechanicals lengthened to accommodate a third row and slightly different sheet metal.
Old 07-02-14, 08:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Realistically, I can see the RX becoming a "niche" model in the next decade, based on NX and TX. It would be crazy to see, but going forward, NX and TX could pull RX fans in either direction.

NX - great for people who are new to the brand, also appeals to people who only want two rows, least expensive CUV
RX - a little bigger and more luxurious/comfortable than NX, better technology, more mature styling, more expensive than NX
TX - the perfect Lexus family hauler with three rows
GX - the gentleman's choice, or obvious option for someone who tows or occasionally goes off pavement
LX - top of the heap, the best of the best.
Old 07-02-14, 08:50 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Realistically, I can see the RX becoming a "niche" model in the next decade, based on NX and TX. It would be crazy to see, but going forward, NX and TX could pull RX fans in either direction.

NX - great for people who are new to the brand, also appeals to people who only want two rows, least expensive CUV
RX - a little bigger and more luxurious/comfortable than NX, better technology, more mature styling, more expensive than NX
GX - the gentleman's choice, or obvious option for someone who tows or occasionally goes off pavement
i like the way you think
Old 07-02-14, 09:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus RX could become a seven-seater

The Lexus RX may be offered with an extra row of seating in the future to help differentiate it from the company’s new NX SUV.

Toyota’s luxury arm staged the international launch of the new NX in Canada this week. Although the NX is smaller than the RX, it offers the same five-seat layout while there is also similar interior space and a bigger boot.

The fourth iteration of the Lexus RX that first launched in 1998 is expected to debut in late 2015, replacing the current model that has been around since 2008 (early 2009 Australia).

The next RX won’t be a seven-seater insiders have revealed to CarAdvice, though Lexus officially admits it is considering a third row for the model.

“Three rows is under study for RX,” Lexus’s assistant chief engineer on the NX, Kei-Ichi Nishiyama, told CarAdvice at the NX launch. “There is lots of demand [for seven seats] from the US market.”

Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley, who has high-level input as a member of the brand’s global executive council, says he is also pushing for a seven-seater RX.

“Timing for the next RX hasn’t been announced, but if the question is whether Lexus International [formed in 2012 to take responsibility for global markets] will influence design, specification, dynamics, performance and drivetrains of next RX, the answer is yes.

“[Seven seats] has been under study. It’s certainly something we would desire, and it’s something we will strongly lobby for in the product pipeline of the future. But there’s no confirmation on it yet.”

The 2016 Lexus RX will again be based on the Toyota Kluger (known as Highlander in the US), which continues to offer a third row and grew again for the latest generation.

Lexus has trademarked the TX nameplate, suggesting a new model entirely, though a source told CarAdvice that was unlikely to amount to anything.

Lexus has a seven-seater available currently in North America, though the GX is essentially a re-nosed version of the body-on-frame Prado and not renowned for its classy driving manners.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/293954/l...-seven-seater/
Old 07-02-14, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

The next RX won’t be a seven-seater insiders have revealed to CarAdvice, though Lexus officially admits it is considering a third row for the model.
idiocy of australian (and UK) rumor mill.
Old 07-02-14, 09:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

RX becoming a niche model? I don't think so. Lexus has an excellent history with the RX (the luxury crossover standard bearer as the first luxury crossover) and it would not be wise to give that up, IMO.

If the market truly is headed towards 3-row mid-size crossovers, could the TX not be the niche model and the RX stays the volume model?
Old 07-02-14, 09:48 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

I believe there are more RX owners, myself included, at least in my neighborhood that would consider the 3RX the end of the line if the 4RX were to have a third row. Though I may consider a future purchase of the NX it will never be a replacement for my RX.
Old 07-02-14, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'll place my bet now. No "TX" crossover...and the next RX will have three rows.
Old 07-02-14, 12:02 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I also like the way you think. The RX is the highest selling Lexus vehicle of all time and I think Lexus doesn't want to mess with that. Since inception the RX has sold 1.5 million RX's in the U.S. alone. I'm very curious how the NX will affect the RX sales.

We could look at the relationship of the ES and IS models. When Lexus introduced the IS line it didn't really affect ES sales at all. So with that in mind, with the introduction of the NX will RX sales remain the same or will it even increase?
Old 07-02-14, 12:18 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about just make it a pickup with a bed..move over ridgeline lol
Old 07-02-14, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The vehicle you are hoping for is the GX.
The GX is not a vehicle that would appeal to somebody looking for a 3 row crossover a'la the MDX, Explorer Limited, Infiniti QX60, etc. From a passenger comfort/people hauling perspective those vehicles blow the GX away.

Just because a vehicle has three rows doesn't mean its an efficient people hauler.
Old 07-02-14, 12:30 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
I believe there are more RX owners, myself included, at least in my neighborhood that would consider the 3RX the end of the line if the 4RX were to have a third row. Though I may consider a future purchase of the NX it will never be a replacement for my RX.
Yes, I agree
Old 07-02-14, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you guys are wrong. Look at the X5 for instance, or the RR Sport. Both have third row options and are sold all the time without those options. Adding a third row option won't take away from the RX.
Old 07-02-14, 12:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
RX becoming a niche model? I don't think so. Lexus has an excellent history with the RX (the luxury crossover standard bearer as the first luxury crossover) and it would not be wise to give that up, IMO.

If the market truly is headed towards 3-row mid-size crossovers, could the TX not be the niche model and the RX stays the volume model?
The market has evolved significantly since the RX debuted, with distinct classes above and below the RX in terms of size, price and features. Lexus has stuck with their strategy because it has always worked but we are coming to a time where consumer tastes and market forces may force Lexus to change (or supplement) their strategy. The RX has been successful as an in-betweener but I personally think that position in the market may shrink a bit with the NX and a conceptual "TX."

Dealers were begging for a sub-RX model because they were bleeding against Q5 and GLK. Lexus initially resisted because they were happy with RX sales, but eventually agreed as that segment grew and execs realized a sub-RX model is critical to growth here in other global markets. Now we have the NX, which is going to be a very big test for the RX.

On the other side of the RX, dealers recently said they didn't care if a three row CUV ate into RX sales - they want it regardless. Lexus is losing this part of the market to Acura, Buick, BMW and Infiniti and knows there is an opportunity here. GX is not the right product for these people with a higher price, low MPG and less family-friendly design due to BOF architecture.

The "RX" formula has appealed to people who might want something smaller, but can live with something larger, and also to people who might want something larger (3 rows) but can live with something smaller and more spacious (2 rows). Some may consider this a strength and some may consider it a weakness, but as the market has filled in around the RX, it has left Lexus original CUV in no-man's-land. That's always been fine because it occupies the space completely and successfully, but that may change.

There's a possibility that the NX can pull in the 40,000 yearly units that Lexus is projecting, the RX can keep selling at 110,000 units annually and a hypothetical TX could fill the gap for another 50,000 people, but... that's just a LOT of product - nearly 200,000 CUVs a year - that is going to be closely crammed in the market, not to mention under one roof.

Toyota does this and it works, but the Venza is a niche product between Rav4 and Highlander. Lexus also has to figure out how to create enough differentiation between "TX" and GX to make a value proposition for both. I see that relationship being similar to the 4Runner and Highlander, where one is more butch and purpose-driven and one is a practical family hauler.

The RX formula is good - actually, it's great - right size, right price, two comfy rows instead of cramming in a third. The idea of something a little larger, more comfortable and more premium than the X3/GLK/NX crowd is very appealing to a wide variety of people for different reasons - new families with one kid, empty nesters, single man or woman. The million dollar question will be whether or not the RX creates enough of a value proposition for people to leave the two, more clearly defined segments above and below the RX, and pay more $$ for more space and features (vs NX) or lose a third row (vs TX).

We'll see what Lexus has up their sleeve over the next 2-3 years...
Old 07-02-14, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus also has to figure out how to create enough differentiation between "TX" and GX to make a value proposition for both. I see that relationship being similar to the 4Runner and Highlander, where one is more butch and purpose-driven and one is a practical family hauler.
Assuming they keep the GX...

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation