Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 06:58 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the next gen RX is to offer 3rd row seating, it will need to grow quite a bit or else those are going to be some very uncomfortable seats.

Seeing the way all the German luxury automakers now have a soup of models that overlap quite a bit, I don't think Lexus should be too worried about doing the same between the NX and the RX. People like options even if their differences are subtle - makes the item feel more customized to their liking.

Should the next RX grow a bit, then the NX will be to the RX as the X3 is to the X5. Yet - BMW still finds a way to stuff an X4 and an X6 in there. Perhaps Lexus should drop the F-sport, make another sport SUV similar to the RX, but re-brand it and charge a little bit more.
Old 07-01-14, 07:10 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dwlink
If the next gen RX is to offer 3rd row seating, it will need to grow quite a bit or else those are going to be some very uncomfortable seats.

Seeing the way all the German luxury automakers now have a soup of models that overlap quite a bit, I don't think Lexus should be too worried about doing the same between the NX and the RX. People like options even if their differences are subtle - makes the item feel more customized to their liking.

Should the next RX grow a bit, then the NX will be to the RX as the X3 is to the X5. Yet - BMW still finds a way to stuff an X4 and an X6 in there. Perhaps Lexus should drop the F-sport, make another sport SUV similar to the RX, but re-brand it and charge a little bit more.
1RX 180in
NX 182in
2RX 186in
3RX 187in
Highlander 191in (current)

RX will likely grow 2-4in
Old 07-01-14, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have mixed feelings on the prospect of a 3 row RX.

But what I find is most intriguing is the schedule. Perhaps it's because I work on products that take about 8 years of engineering work to release, but I have a hard time understanding how they could still be in a phase where they are only "considering" the prospect of a third row on a vehicle they intend to unveil next year.
I doubt a 3 row RX is on the way.
Old 07-01-14, 07:54 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

gotta be honest...seems to me itd be one hell of a tight fit!
Old 07-01-14, 08:57 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A three row / seven seat vehicle is long overdue for Lexus

Personally I'm hoping it's much bigger than the RX. If it's not Q7 sized, then it's kinda useless.
Old 07-01-14, 10:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
A three row / seven seat vehicle is long overdue for Lexus

Personally I'm hoping it's much bigger than the RX. If it's not Q7 sized, then it's kinda useless.
The vehicle you are hoping for is the GX.

The RX should remain relatively the same size, give or take a few more inches.
Old 07-02-14, 06:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

A lot of good points regarding design and accommodating a third row, as Mike, Hoovey, and dwlink pointed out.

We must consider the strong possibility that Lexus will keep the sloping rear design and grow just 1 or two inches, and like with the X5, have the option of a 3rd row as a two-seater and be strategic in marketing this as a kid-friendly or "short-trip" seat. The marketing aspect being key here by setting the precedence with the automotive journalist community and of course the customer on this key point as this will fill a certain market that Lexus is lacking today. If a smaller Nissan Rogue for instance can have a 3rd row, I don't see why not with the 4RX. If the customer expectations are still not met when they see the 3rd row in the RX in the showroom, Lexus has them in there and can upsell them to a GX or LX. They don't lose the customer. Like a Rogue is to a Pathfinder... or a Q50/70 is to a Q60...

In short, it would be unwise for Lexus to not offer a 3rd row since they can even see an uptick in GX or LX sales.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-02-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 06:41 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus desperately needs a TX to be competitive. There are plenty of families like mine, with three kids and a dog that would gladly line up for such an offering. Let's set aside minivan option for now. We don't want a body on frame SUV: the GX and LX are very space-inefficient. The RX is too small. Lexus has a huge gap without a luxury sized crossover. We need a TX to compete with Audi Q7 or Infiniti QX60. Bring on the TX.
Old 07-02-14, 07:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Would Lexus go as far as trademarking 'TX' and not use it just to throw people off?
Lexus owned the "JX" trademark for years and then let it expire, and literally just a few weeks later Infiniti nabbed JX.........and then renamed everything to QX.
Old 07-02-14, 07:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aaahhh more weight to an already slow as crap vehicle. oh joy.
Old 07-02-14, 07:49 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yuck!

Puke!

Barf!

If true, our next RX will be a used one--2015 or older. We already have a 4Runner as a huge, hulking beast that gets crappy gas mileage. Don't need or want a second one, that's for sure.
Old 07-02-14, 07:50 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
gotta be honest...seems to me itd be one hell of a tight fit!
Not if it expands to minivan size. Hey, it could happen!
Old 07-02-14, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It may be beneficial as an option if Lexus kills off the GX or LX. Trim the fat off the line-up.

Maybe the RX can come in a regular and long version like the LS?
Old 07-02-14, 08:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

There are a lot of RX owners here in Miami that have wanted the 7 seat option. I am not the biggest fan of seeing my beloved RX became a bigger and bigger vehicle (a form of upselling), but if it sells SUVs for Lexus, then they have my blessings.
Old 07-02-14, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There are a lot of RX owners here in Miami that have wanted the 7 seat option. I am not the biggest fan of seeing my beloved RX became a bigger and bigger vehicle (a form of upselling), but if it sells SUVs for Lexus, then they have my blessings.
On the upside, if the RX does grow into something bigger than we want, we have a great alternative in the NX.

For me, I like the idea of a 3rd row, but I have one car seat, and soon a second. Access to the third row is very difficult when car seats prevent the second row from being properly folded out of the way.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation