Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 06:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the "TX" will just be a longbase RX?
Old 05-22-14, 01:21 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Lexus could increase the wheelbase of the RX similar to the LS.

RX 350
RX 350L
RX 450h
RX 450h L

LS 460
LS 460L
LS 600h L

Last edited by Trexus; 05-22-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 02:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The problem with the GX in the space department is the BOF construction. Unibody designs have more adaptable layouts and floorpan configurations...

My favorite unibody 7 seat SUV is the Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX60. It has the best interior layout, and at 6" tall I can sit comfortably in the third row, which is not the case in an MDX or really a Highlander...certainly a GX. The HUGE downside to the Pathfinder/QX60 IMHO is the CVT...I hate the way a CVT feels on the road. I'd own one if it had a normal gearbox.

If Lexus can make a vehicle with the adaptability and space of the QX60 with a good power train and deliver it well equipped for $50-60k...they would sell 3,500 of them a month I am absolutely sure of it.
I've had a loaded JX to use for a few days and I rented a pretty loaded one before as well. I agree that the space inside is very well done with maybe the best 3rd row or any SUV its size. It was downhill from there, there wasn't anything really luxurious about it at all, some wood and cheap leather does not make a luxury car. The engine sucks gas and isn't powerful. I actually don't mind the CVT.

Old 05-22-14, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I've had a loaded JX to use for a few days and I rented a pretty loaded one before as well. I agree that the space inside is very well done with maybe the best 3rd row or any SUV its size. It was downhill from there, there wasn't anything really luxurious about it at all, some wood and cheap leather does not make a luxury car. The engine sucks gas and isn't powerful. I actually don't mind the CVT.
The materials are decent enough, and interior is versatile. Not a fan of the CVT, they should have used the 7AT like all other Infiniti's, leave CVT for Nissan. Oh and the bunny ear 3rd row headrests are
Old 07-01-14, 01:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Lexus RX could become a seven-seater

http://www.caradvice.com.au/293954/l...-seven-seater/

The Lexus RX may be offered with an extra row of seating in the future to help differentiate it from the company’s new NX SUV.

Toyota’s luxury arm staged the international launch of the new NX in Canada this week. Although the NX is smaller than the RX, it offers the same five-seat layout while there is also similar interior space and a bigger boot.

The fourth iteration of the Lexus RX that first launched in 1998 is expected to debut in late 2015, replacing the current model that has been around since 2008 (early 2009 Australia).

The next RX won’t be a seven-seater insiders have revealed to CarAdvice, though Lexus officially admits it is considering a third row for the model.

“Three rows is under study for RX,” Lexus’s assistant chief engineer on the NX, Kei-Ichi Nishiyama, told CarAdvice at the NX launch. “There is lots of demand [for seven seats] from the US market.”

Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley, who has high-level input as a member of the brand’s global executive council, says he is also pushing for a seven-seater RX.

“Timing for the next RX hasn’t been announced, but if the question is whether Lexus International [formed in 2012 to take responsibility for global markets] will influence design, specification, dynamics, performance and drivetrains of next RX, the answer is yes.

“[Seven seats] has been under study. It’s certainly something we would desire, and it’s something we will strongly lobby for in the product pipeline of the future. But there’s no confirmation on it yet.”

The 2016 Lexus RX will again be based on the Toyota Kluger (known as Highlander in the US), which continues to offer a third row and grew again for the latest generation.

Lexus has trademarked the TX nameplate, suggesting a new model entirely, though a source told CarAdvice that was unlikely to amount to anything.

Lexus has a seven-seater available currently in North America, though the GX is essentially a re-nosed version of the body-on-frame Prado and not renowned for its classy driving manners.
Old 07-01-14, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have mixed feelings on the prospect of a 3 row RX.

But what I find is most intriguing is the schedule. Perhaps it's because I work on products that take about 8 years of engineering work to release, but I have a hard time understanding how they could still be in a phase where they are only "considering" the prospect of a third row on a vehicle they intend to unveil next year.
Old 07-01-14, 01:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Agree.

I remember about a year ago, a similar statement was being made from Lexus about them "seriously considering a compact SUV". Haha. Well, surely they were already at 85% complete with the NX at that time so it's just a question of them not wanting to reveal anything until the official unveil.

The interesting insider info is that the TX name will likely not be used, plus factor in the NX which is 90% the size of the current RX - combine the two and the prospect of a 3-row RX is highly probable, like they've done with the latest X5. 5-seater standard with optional 7-seat arrangement.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-01-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 02:26 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not interested in 3rd row seating and I wouldn't buy an RX with that option. A 3rd row seat would be a clear indication that it is time for me to move on to another vehicle because the RX was just not targeted and tuned for my requirements.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-01-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 05:00 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was afraid this might happen and that's why I traded my 10 in this year for the 15. I like the RX as it is now.
Old 07-01-14, 05:18 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Me Too...exactly why I bought when I did.
Old 07-01-14, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Optional 7 seats seems likely but RX will probably remain standard 5.

Would Lexus go as far as trademarking 'TX' and not use it just to throw people off?
Old 07-01-14, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The problem with the RX is that, even though it is done on the Highlander's Camry-based platform, the Highlander, which does have a 3rd-row seat, has significantly more usable room in back because of its higher, more squared-off rear roofline. The RX's styling is considered more classy and less-conservative than the Highlander's, but the penalty is less room in back. Sure, Lexus might be able to actually squeeze in a third-row seat, but would it be usable for anything except children? I wouldn't bet on it.....and the second-row seat may have to be placed slightly further forward, too, making for less room in that seat as well.

IMO, if the RX is going to get a reasonable third-row seat, it's going to have to start either with a new design or a stretched version of the present one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 05:43 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I said it before but it's worth repeating.
BMW X5, Land Rover Range Rover Sport and even Nissan Rogue? ( or is it the Pathfinder) have optional 3rd row seating WITHOUT any changes to the exterior.

If Lexus can do that to the RX, that will be ok for me.
Buyers need to realize, how uncomfortable the 3rd seats are for long trips and normal size adults.
And once they use that 3rd row, cargo capacity suffers.
If you NEED third row, nothing can beat a minivan.
Old 07-01-14, 05:50 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really hope they add the optional 3rd row seating.

Would make the RX loaners that much more appealing.
Old 07-01-14, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I really hope they add the optional 3rd row seating.

Would make the RX loaners that much more appealing.
I can see a correlation between the number of service appointments on Friday's growing vs number of Tahoe trips being booked

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation