Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 10:45 AM
LexFather

With Toyota moving to Texas, Lexus TX makes sense now

Old 04-28-14, 12:46 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Bigger is always better in Texas...TX 460 or TX 600h anyone???
Old 04-29-14, 07:13 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome news. Posted on the blog too here.
Old 04-29-14, 08:23 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just stretch the RXxxxL already….smdh @ Toyota
Old 04-29-14, 09:56 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Why not just make the RX bigger (7 seats)?
And, the new TX coming from IS/GS with 5 seats please!
Old 04-29-14, 10:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
With Toyota moving to Texas, Lexus TX makes sense now
lol wow
Old 04-30-14, 05:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Lexus does come out with the TX (larger CUV) does that mean Toyota could receive their own version as well? I guess like a CX-9 competitor.
Old 04-30-14, 06:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
If Lexus does come out with the TX (larger CUV) does that mean Toyota could receive their own version as well? I guess like a CX-9 competitor.
The Highlander competes with the CX-9, and I believe, is a tad larger than the Mazda.
Old 04-30-14, 07:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It will be interesting to see exactly what Lexus ends up doing here, because there are two very distinctly different possibilities:
1) FWD platform with AWD - something like a lengthened RX, or Q7, MDX, QX60

2) RWD platform with AWD - more of an X5 or Mercedes GL competitor
I'd really like to see them do the latter because I want so desperately for Lexus to do some type of performance CUV and think they have a huge hole in the lineup without one. Creating something more performance-oriented would be a good way to differentiate from the GX if Lexus does indeed plan to keep both. They don’t need two 3-row, sleepy, floaty SUVs/CUVs.

Another thing I wonder about is with new FI powerplants on the horizon, how much power can Lexus put into an FWD platform? It's looking like the next generation V6 from Lexus, be it FI or NA, will be probably 320+ hp. That’s a lot of power to send to the front wheels. RX, QX60 and MDX seem to stick around 265-290hp to avoid the problem of torque steer, but competitors are rapidly advancing over the 300hp mark.

I've driven many current-gen RXs and feel that it desperately needs another 30+hp. At the same time, when you hop on the gas in FWD models, the front end gets twitchy with a bit of torque steer. Hard to overcome this issue without accepting torque steer, drastically reducing weight, using AWD or switching to RWD.

Using the Highlander’s chassis or lengthening the RX seems to make economic sense, but in terms of creating a truly differentiated CUV in the lineup, I think something with a RWD-biased platform, two or three engine options (Base V6, hybrid, and larger V6 or V8 – maybe even F) and more sporting intentions actually makes the most sense. This could leave the RX as a smaller luxury cruiser and GX as a niche luxury BOF SUV. What I’d like to see is this:
- NX: Sporty entry level CUV
- RX: Midsize-ish luxury CUV – i.e. “ES” of the S/CUV line
- TX: Three-row midsize CUV and “performance on-roader” – theoretically the “GS” of the S/CUV line
- GX: Three-row midsize SUV with towing and off road performance. GX would become more “niche” than it is now, probably.
- LX: Three-row full size SUV – “LS” of the S/CUV line, as it stands now
I guess a lot of this is just me thinking out loud, but before we had the NX, everyone was worried that it would eat into RX sales. We started to hear that NX was going to be sportier and sharper, with more dramatic styling and that’s exactly what we got. As we’ve seen, it was a great way to differentiate the NX from the softer, floatier, more luxurious RX. I’d like to see Lexus duplicate that formula again, with a new crossover that’s more performance-oriented, sharper and more dramatic than the GX, and I see the best way to do that as using something like the GS chassis instead of the Camry. The engines, transmissions, hybrid tech and proven platform are all there for the taking.

Again, I realize a lot of this is wishful thinking, but I’m remaining optimistically hopeful
Old 04-30-14, 08:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

it will certainly be FWD based... they are looking for space that RWD cant provide.
Old 04-30-14, 09:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The Highlander competes with the CX-9, and I believe, is a tad larger than the Mazda.
Are you sure about that. The new Highlander did grow in size but it is still listed as a midszie. This while the CX-9 (not CX-7) is listed as a full size.

Third Gen Highlander
Length: 191.1 in
Width: 75.8 in
Height: 68.1 in

Mazda CX-9
Lenght: 199.8 in
Wight: 76.2 in
Height: 68.3 in
Old 04-30-14, 09:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it will certainly be FWD based... they are looking for space that RWD cant provide.
If that ends up being true, I think it is pretty sad. X5 is about the only option for someone wanting something that's remotely fun to drive and has 3 rows.

I guess we can hope for some top end "TX" with AWD and maybe a turbo V6.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 04-30-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 04:11 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus Wants To Build 7-Seat Crossover Called The Texas

As Lexus enters the small crossover market with the pointy Lexus NX, its bosses are looking at the opposite end of the spectrum with a 7-seat crossover called the Texas, I mean, the TX. Which is also totally not very similar to a **** star's name at all.

Well, it might not end up being called the TX when it eventually goes into production (we'll probably keep calling it that), but Toyota has applied for a trademark for the name as Automotive News reports. There is still some debate within the company as to what platform the Texas will ride on–either the Toyota Highlander's FWD platform that the current RX350 shares or, the Lexus IS/GS RWD platform.

What isn't under debate, however, is that Lexus dealers desperately want a three row crossover, even if it impedes on sales of the popular RX, which moved 103,920 units last year – more than any other Lexus model. Quoted in Automotive News Lexus Division cheif Jeff Bracken says that "Third-row seating is the No. 1 issue we hear from dealers," and that the Texas is a "35,000-units-a-year opportunity."

You might be thinking at this point "doesn't Lexus already offer a 7-seater though?" Yes, two in fact: the angry lookin' GX 460 and the LX 570, but both of those are more truck-like body-on-frame SUVs. The Texas wouldn't replace the GX 460, though, because despite its comparatively lower sales it's still highly profitable.

Regardless if the Texas ends up being an embiggened RX 350 or an entirely new model, it should be quite a hit for Lexus.
http://jalopnik.com/lexus-wants-to-b...xas-1568752888
Old 05-21-14, 05:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I welcome any 3 row suv/cuv..............................as long as it has adequate trunk space, unlike the
GX460.

As a former GX470 owner, I was not thrilled at all to what they did to the GX460, one less seat and storage area

I'd say keep the GX, and make the TX as a cuv, would be great for someone who definitely won't be using it for offroad
Old 05-21-14, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The problem with the GX in the space department is the BOF construction. Unibody designs have more adaptable layouts and floorpan configurations...

My favorite unibody 7 seat SUV is the Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX60. It has the best interior layout, and at 6" tall I can sit comfortably in the third row, which is not the case in an MDX or really a Highlander...certainly a GX. The HUGE downside to the Pathfinder/QX60 IMHO is the CVT...I hate the way a CVT feels on the road. I'd own one if it had a normal gearbox.

If Lexus can make a vehicle with the adaptability and space of the QX60 with a good power train and deliver it well equipped for $50-60k...they would sell 3,500 of them a month I am absolutely sure of it.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation