Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 07:53 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i love the ultimate version of Prado.. i think it is much better buy than LC/LX.
Agreed. While I have always loved the LC/LX and always will, the GX (Prado) is a much much better value. 90-95% of the capability and luxury of the "big brothers" but at 60-70% of the price. Again, this is why I think GX is Lexus most overlooked and under-rated vehicle. Very niche/cult status, but IMO one of the absolute best luxury/utility vehicles out there at any price!
Old 08-01-13, 08:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Revisiting the 2003 Lexus HPX Crossover Concept

With yesterday’s rumor of an upcoming Lexus seven-seat crossover, it’s a good time to take a look back at the HPX concept first shown at the 2003 New York Auto Show — first off, here’s the full photo gallery:

Click here to view full photo gallery

Built off the second-generation GS platform, the HPX, or High Performance Crossover, was designed by Calty Design Research to combine “the versatility of a luxury utility vehicle and the performance of a sports sedan in a sleek and stylish package”.

Here’s Calty vice-president Kevin Hunter and senior creative designer Bill Chergosky talking about their creation:

It’s always interesting to revisit old concepts — the HPX hints at a number of Lexus design cues, like the fifth-gen ES front end, LFA tachometer, and even the Remote Touch controller.

Even now, this concept looks like a home run for Lexus — I wonder if we’ll ever find out why it was never built.

As an aside, check out this super-dated video of the HPX concept from Motor Trend:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/07/3...sover-concept/
Old 08-01-13, 08:10 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^No. It looks like a first-gen Mazda6 station wagon. Its time has come and gone.
Old 08-01-13, 08:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus to Cancel the GX in 2016, Replace with Seven-Seat Crossover?

According to Mark Rechtin of Automotive News, Lexus will cancel the GX in 2016 and replace it with a seven-seat crossover called the TX:

GX: The 2014 midcycle freshening for the truck-based SUV includes a trapezoidal fascia and more telematics, although there will be such cost-cutting measures as manual third-row seats. The GX will be removed from the lineup in the fall of 2016 to make room for the car-based TX.

TX: Talk about missed opportunities. It has been 10 years since Lexus unveiled the HPX seven-seat car-based crossover concept at the New York auto show — and we’ll wait at least three more years to see a production version on public roads when it arrives in late 2016 or early 2017. Toyota has applied for a trademark for the TX nameplate. Toyota is secretive about whether the TX would use the RX-Avalon front-wheel-drive architecture for packaging benefits or use the IS/GS rear-wheel-drive architecture for a sportier feel.

This move was hinted at earlier this year in a Ward’s Auto interview with Lexus USA vice-president of marketing Brian Smith:

Smith says one of the brand’s two large body-on-frame SUVs, the GX and LX, could be converted to unibody platforms as the auto maker works to meet looming government-imposed fuel-economy regulations.

“In the future, if we could do a 3-row unibody (utility vehicle), I think that’s what consumers would want to see,” he says.

Swapping out the GX for a car-based crossover is a sensible move — a larger RX-style vehicle would have a larger potential market, and there’s no need for two body-on-frame SUVs in the Lexus lineup any more.

What do you think — should Lexus be canceling the GX and replacing it with a crossover?
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/07/3...eat-crossover/
Old 08-01-13, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
So do you own one??
Negatory, I work at a Lexus dealership and deal with all our models on the regular. Our mall also includes BMW, Mini, Acura and Infiniti

I'll admit the half glass works, but the barn door.. meh
Old 12-01-13, 04:56 PM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Lexus TX design = Mazda CX9. Lexus NX design = Mazda CX5

I notice some of Lexus car is identically as Mazda what is going on here ???? Does Toyota CEO notice this or they really sharing the design
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation-2015-lexus-nx-spy-photo-photo-523064-s-520x318.jpg   Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation-tx.jpg   Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation-cx9.jpg   Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation-cx5.2.jpeg  

Last edited by abudiman; 12-01-13 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by abudiman
I notice some of Lexus car is identically as Mazda what is going on here ???? Does Toyota CEO notice this or they really sharing the design

First picture is of a CT hatch mule, second is Lexus HPX Concept and third being the Mazda CX-9. All CUVs are going to be similar, there's only so many ways you can reinvent the wheel or CUV or Sedan whatever you're comparing. But identical? Please, other than blantent Chinese copies (see below), there are only recycled designs and similar styling cues. The shape of a CUV or any other class of vehicle is ubiquitous nowadays meaning they're all the same and equilibrium is setting in between vehicles to the point where feature content and pricing among classes will be the same if not marginally different. It'll come down to picking your favorite design and badge.

The shape of any class of mainstream vehicle is ubiquitous nowadays

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-01-13 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 08:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The HPX concept car was from 2003, well before either the Mazda CX-9 or the CX-5.

But there are some limits to how different a silhouette can be. And there are always trends that tend to be followed.
Old 12-02-13, 07:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The Lexus HPX Concept predates the Mazda
Old 12-02-13, 02:03 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this car came from my nightmares? Seriously, it's freaking me out . . . I'm glad it never came to fruition. The new GX now looks great!
Old 12-03-13, 11:20 AM
LexFather

We might be looking at SUVs again and the RX again is a near perfect choice but the 7 seat option would be nice. The GX doesn't really appeal to my wife but to me its great and something that could be used in the Caribbean.

With the Germans offering 4 SUVs now, why not Lexus? Add the TX and keep the GX.

I hope they keep the GX name and don't drop it for TX if they decide to change platforms. The Infiniti QX has actually been based on 3 different SUVs but kept the same name as an example.

Old 12-03-13, 05:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Infiniti QX has actually been based on 3 different SUVs but kept the same name as an example.
I don't think Infiniti, especially with their new naming strategy, all SUV's are QX__, should be used as a role model for naming conventions.
Old 12-04-13, 04:31 PM
GHC
Driver School Candidate

Personally the design looks a bit outdated, especially compared with the new stuff Lexus is releasing.
Old 12-04-13, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GHC
Personally the design looks a bit outdated, especially compared with the new stuff Lexus is releasing.
That's because it's circa 2003. It debuted a decade ago and was brought up only because it is a large capactiy Lexus CUV in relation to the GX/TX OP
Old 12-04-13, 04:56 PM
GHC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's because it's circa 2003. It debuted a decade ago and was brought up only because it is a large capactiy Lexus CUV in relation to the GX/TX OP
I'm dumb. I should try reading the entire thread next time.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation