Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota building a diesel truck????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 09:32 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Toyota building a diesel truck????

We just received another new GSA vehicle for our Fire Department last week. Its a new 2013 Dodge Ram 5500 heavy duty. This truck is mainly used for heavy rescue, off road when needed for wildland capability, 300 gallon water tank, and a 100 gallon foam tank. After having hands on and driving this new piece, it got me to believe why doesn't Toyota build or have in the USA a diesel high output truck to compete with other major manufactures like Chevy, Ford and Dodge. It leads me to believe that they can't prove to themselves they could do it. Other side of the story, they have the intent to do this in the near future, or thirdly, they haven't and I haven't found any specs or produced ones online.

Has anyone else thought of this? Am I overlooking something here?
Old 07-29-13, 09:56 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.hino.com/

Hino represents the Toyota Group in the global market for medium-duty trucks, heavy-duty trucks, and buses. Hino uses the Toyota Production System to achieve continuing gains in productivity and in quality throughout our operations. We have adapted that system to our model line to offer customers the best-possible products at competitive prices.
Some cool trucks. When we used to live in Africa, my dad had a fleet of Hino's and Mercedes trucks. Guess which ones always made it through the jungle roads?
Old 07-29-13, 11:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The truck market is just something Toyota and the other Asian makes can't crack (unless it's medium light duty ie Tacoma). Domestics dominate the market and continually build amazing half tons and up. The new 2014 Ram offers plenty of feature content, diesel option now, 8-Speed auto, and the new F-150 is coming very soon. Going to continue to dominate.
Old 07-29-13, 11:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The truck market is just something Toyota and the other Asian makes can't crack (unless it's medium light duty ie Tacoma). Domestics dominate the market and continually build amazing half tons and up. The new 2014 Ram offers plenty of feature content, diesel option now, 8-Speed auto, and the new F-150 is coming very soon. Going to continue to dominate.
What you are refering to here are Pick Up trucks, which is quite different than the classes of trucks ( 3+ tonne axle capacity - 15+ tonnes tow capacity) the OP is refering to.

Toyota is not trying to crack the heavy duty truck market using the Toyota brand, they use the Hino brand. Based on the financial information available, they seem to be doing quite well.

Ford did the same when they bought Volvo, they merged their medium and heavy duty truck divisions with Volvo's as a separate entity. When they divested of Volvo, they kept the heavy duty truck division. They still have their Pick Up trucks under the Ford banner.

Last edited by My0gr81; 07-29-13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
What you are refering to here are Pick Up trucks, which is quite different than the classes of trucks ( 3+ tonne axle capacity - 15+ tonnes tow capacity) the OP is refering to. Toyota is not trying to crack the heavy duty truck market using the Toyota brand, they use the Hino brand. Based on the financial information available, they seem to be doing quite well.

Ford did the same when they bought Volvo, they merged their medium and heavy duty truck divisions with Volvo's as a separate entity. When they divested of Volvo, they kept the heavy duty truck division. They still have their Pick Up trucks under the Ford banner.
My mistake I read wrong

Well no one wants a Volvo F-150 or is that Volvo V-150
Old 07-29-13, 01:19 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well shot fire, save the matches. I have not ever heard of that company. I might have been living under the SC too long or stayed on CL too much. That is good news that they do indeed have and manufacture these vehicles. I wonder why they haven't done what the other lead manufactures have done with their diesels. Thats my original question. After seeing this link, thank you for sharing, I now know they can do it. Toyota needs to step up and get into this type of production, or is the Tundra and Tundra doing that well?
Old 07-29-13, 06:35 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
www.hino.com/

Some cool trucks. When we used to live in Africa, my dad had a fleet of Hino's and Mercedes trucks. Guess which ones always made it through the jungle roads?
I double checked with my brother, we bad Hino and Isuzu mostly with some Mercedes trucks. The Hino and the Isuzu always did well in jungle road runs and Mercedes did well in cross city deliveries.