Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this the GS F?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 09:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
This is the most despicable trend Germans are pushing. Basically they're saying our cars are not good enough so cash in another dozen grand to get something you should have gotten in the first place.

I sure do hope Lexus or Infiniti don't follow up on this crap cause its insulting. Much like shameful Porsche 911 add-ons.

Like I said I couldn't care less about GS-F or any performance branded midsize sedan cause they just don't make any sense except being the straight line rocket ships. Actually the only four door I would consider as a sports car is Evo X and quite possibly an STI.

What I am really looking forward here is the refreshed GS with 2.0t or 4 cylinder Hybrid setup.
Haha this is definitely not the thread for you then. I actually don't mind the 2-tiered set up. A lot of times the more aggressive setup makes for unpleasant daily driver.
Old 12-22-14, 11:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
It's overall package that matters. What Cadillac put on the table isn't just power figure. There are many good features and options on top of the insane specs.

No, a worse fanboi is someone who sticks to one brand and never look outside of the box to see what else is being offered. Switching brand will drive competition, thus good for end users. If I buy only Lexus because I always buy Lexus, I would be like one of many Apple users. I don't care what else is being offered because I only shop one brand. This shouldn't be how competitive market works.

Edit: I rather Lexus make GS-F and fail, then they can go back to the drawing board and make a more competitive GS-F. If all of us just accept a mediocre GS-F because we like Lexus, what do you think it makes us?
That's why I can't see why any real Lexus buyers would want to be unpaid cheerleaders for them, unless they offer something I can really cheer about, and by cheering, it means from real satisfaction, it's not like trying to prop them up by imagining all kinds of excuses and scenerios.

If I am happy with the product for my reasons, that's enough, I don't need any fellow Lexus forum members to support me so I feel justified with my purchase or that I can "talk comfortably" about the car , that makes no sense to me. You have to let them know what you expect and what you like, and what you don't.
Old 12-22-14, 12:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Originally Posted by peteharvey View Post
Traditionally, most of the compacts and midsize cars platform share.
The 2007-14 C Class shares platforms with the 2009-16 E Class.

...No it does not. The W212 E-class coupe/convertible are on the W204 C-class platform though...
Don't be fooled by the W codes.
They are "derivatives or evolutions" of the same platform.
Both W204 & W212 use cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension [like a Camry] combined with a multi-link rear suspension.
Only the S Class uses a truly separate platform with front double wishbone suspension.
The all new 2014-21 C Class W205 uses front double wishbones too.
I am sure the next generation 2016-2023 W213 E Class will finally get the same front double wishbones.

For example, the 2004-10 CLS' W219 platform is a "derivative" of the original 2002-09 E Class' W211 platform upon which it is based.
The 2010-17 F10 5 Series shares platform with the 2008-15 F01 7 Series, such that the 5 Series gets the 7 Series' front double wishbone suspension [to help keep the front wheels more perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip].
Meanwhile the 2012-19 3 Series only uses cheaper to produce single lower arm MacPherson strut front suspension.

Likewise, the VW Group's MQB transverse engine, and MLB longitudinal engine platforms are all related...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-22-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 12:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Don't be fooled by the W codes.
They are "derivatives or evolutions" of the same platform.
Both W204 & W212 use cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension [like a Camry] combined with a multi-link rear suspension.
Only the S Class uses a truly separate platform with front double wishbone suspension.
The all new 2014-21 C Class W205 uses front double wishbones too.
I am sure the next generation 2016-2023 W213 E Class will finally get the same front double wishbones.

For example, the 2004-10 CLS' W219 platform is a "derivative" of the original 2002-09 E Class' W211 platform upon which it is based.
Front suspension design doesn't mean they're the same platform (they don't even have the exact same geometry). As I'm sure you know, after a certain threshold an automaker considers the car a different platform. The W204 and W212 have enough differences between the two from a platform perspective to merit it being considered separate. Like I said, this is why there's the distinction of the E-class coupe/convertible being based off the C-class, while this isn't a factor with the sedan. The C-class platform is actually less expensive to produce.

Now, if they had the same hard points this would be a different discussion (like the W219 and W211). Many, many components between the two are interchangeable.
Old 12-22-14, 12:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Front suspension design doesn't mean they're the same platform (they don't even have the exact same geometry). As I'm sure you know, after a certain threshold an automaker considers the car a different platform. The W204 and W212 have enough differences between the two from a platform perspective to merit it being considered separate. Like I said, this is why there's the distinction of the E-class coupe/convertible being based off the C-class, while this isn't a factor with the sedan. The C-class platform is actually less expensive to produce.

Now, if they had the same hard points this would be a different discussion (like the W219 and W211). Many, many components between the two are interchangeable.
They are derivatives or evolutions of each other.
The S Class is truly different.

It's just like Lexus saying that the RC is based on the GS front platform, and the IS' rear platform etc; can't get too picky...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-22-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 01:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the most despicable trend Germans are pushing. Basically they're saying our cars are not good enough so cash in another dozen grand to get something you should have gotten in the first place.

I sure do hope Lexus or Infiniti don't follow up on this crap cause its insulting. Much like shameful Porsche 911 add-ons.

Like I said I couldn't care less about GS-F or any performance branded midsize sedan cause they just don't make any sense except being the straight line rocket ships. Actually the only four door I would consider as a sports car is Evo X and quite possibly an STI.

What I am really looking forward here is the refreshed GS with 2.0t or 4 cylinder Hybrid setup.
Owners that buy these cars new are not pinching pennies.
It is usually one of several cars in the household.
10k in options on 100k car is not a lot.
Its like 3k in options on a 30k car.

Btw Lexus is charging now for leather and certain exterior paint on the RCF.
Dont even bring up the Carbon Package....
Old 12-22-14, 01:26 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
It's overall package that matters. What Cadillac put on the table isn't just power figure. There are many good features and options on top of the insane specs.

No, a worse fanboi is someone who sticks to one brand and never look outside of the box to see what else is being offered. Switching brand will drive competition, thus good for end users. If I buy only Lexus because I always buy Lexus, I would be like one of many Apple users. I don't care what else is being offered because I only shop one brand. This shouldn't be how competitive market works.

Edit: I rather Lexus make GS-F and fail, then they can go back to the drawing board and make a more competitive GS-F. If all of us just accept a mediocre GS-F because we like Lexus, what do you think it makes us?
The problem is that some are already expecting failure based on speculation. Yes, there is a baseline that Lexus should meet to be competitive in the segment. What is that baseline? There is no definitive answer, which leads to much debate. For me, the GSF doesn't have to be 600+ hp like the cts-v... But it sure better be no less than 500hp.
Old 12-22-14, 01:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Actually having 500 hp or even a few above could be realistic , if what was reported that it will have more hp than the RC F is true.
It doesn't seem to make sense if they are going to make it close to 500 but not reach it, just to make it look better for marketing.
Of course, then we will still have to see what the weight is @ 500 hp.
The Caddy doesn't weigh significantly more than the RC F but has a huge advantage in hp ......
Old 12-22-14, 01:58 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
The problem is that some are already expecting failure based on speculation. Yes, there is a baseline that Lexus should meet to be competitive in the segment. What is that baseline? There is no definitive answer, which leads to much debate. For me, the GSF doesn't have to be 600+ hp like the cts-v... But it sure better be no less than 500hp.
Correct. Knowing Lexus is conservative, I don't expect an insane spec for GS-F. I'm going to throw in numbers and techs. Base line is 520hp, 450 lbft of tq, 4050lb. Damper modes, implementation of both TVD and rear wheel steer. LSD, Brembo. Atkinson cycle, carbon bits. Track Package option for those who are serious about taking it to the track.

I wouldn't consider GS-F because it isn't the car for me. I'm looking to purchase Miata ND as my 2nd car later next year.
Old 12-22-14, 03:34 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Owners that buy these cars new are not pinching pennies.
It is usually one of several cars in the household.
10k in options on 100k car is not a lot.
Its like 3k in options on a 30k car.

Btw Lexus is charging now for leather and certain exterior paint on the RCF.
Dont even bring up the Carbon Package....
In what world $10k is nothing? Its only nothing if it's your dad's money.

Lexus has been charging for metallic paint forever and everywhere except US.
Old 12-22-14, 04:09 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In what world $10k is nothing? Its only nothing if it's your dad's money. Lexus has been charging for metallic paint forever and everywhere except US.
I think he was trying to say that $10k in options on a $100k car isn't like all that incredibly terrible and going to kill some lawyers bank account. Not $10k in general.
Old 12-22-14, 05:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

10k in options for a 100k car is ok especially if the person is leasing, the difference is something you can look at and agree to without too much hesitation.
Old 12-22-14, 06:24 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone think the GS-F will be a V8 turbo? we never actually saw any spy videos with exhaust and engine sound.
Old 12-22-14, 06:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gymratter
does anyone think the GS-F will be a V8 turbo? we never actually saw any spy videos with exhaust and engine sound.
Theoretically possible, but probably unlikely, because Lexus are very thorough, so they spend a lot of time testing their products before mass production, eg Benz and Beamer have Lion for their hybrids, but Lexus very slow and thorough to get Lion gasoline-electric hybrids.

With the 5th gen LS due for 2017 release, Lexus could very well release a V8 twin turbo by then.
Old 12-22-14, 06:57 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
No...

10 char

Quick Reply: Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)