Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this the GS F?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 08:00 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Lexus is relatively new player, especially when compared to the 3 German heavy weights. I think that Lexus has accomplished a lot in its short existance. However, the biggest problem that Lexus has is the lack of engines. I don't think they were investing enough into R&D. My guess is for years the brand's main goal was to build great luxury cars, green cars and not performance oriented cars. Well, things have changed. We all know what the new GS is capable of, too bad it does not have the muscles. But changes are coming, and new engines are coming. If not this, then I'm sure the next generation of F cars would finally take the crown away from BMW.
Old 12-19-14, 08:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

^
Its not just Performance models, Lexus has a lack of engines across their whole model range.
LS is a flagship that has a V8 equal to the HP output of competitor FI 6s.
I think the AWD makes 360hp? In 2015???

3.5 v6 in the IS/GS is 10 yrs old.
BMW has changed their turbo 6 three times in that span.
N54 to N55 to B58 next year.
Same with their V8s.
Turbo 4 is getting updated already in the 328i over next 1-2 yrs, and it just came out when the F30 3series came out.

MB Audi Porsche BMW has really stepped their powertrains to a complete new level.

Even Cadillac has some really crazy stuff.
New CTS-V rumored to have 620-640hp. Crazy......
Old 12-19-14, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Because it is the same Powertrain in two different class of performance vehicles. Imagine the upcoming CTS-V with the same 450 hp 3.6 TT V6 as the upcoming smaller ATS-V albeit with 20-30 more hp. Cadillac would have to dig their own grave if they did such a thing. Instead they are about to debut a CTS-V with a Corvette Z06 sharing 640 hp S/C V8. We can talk and guess about the weight of the GS-F all we want but everyone knows the CTS is one of if not the lightest car in the class with one of the most dynamic platforms (I rank the GS and CTS as the best platforms in the class) of any car in class. The GS-F won't exactly be able to pull the weight card. Again where will that leave the GS-F?
I think you have to realize something of the reality here. If Lexus sells 100 GS-Fs a month it'll' be huge. You can't really expect them to develpp an entirely new engine JUST for the GS-F. It only makes sense to use the basic engine from the RC-F with more power. Just because its the same basio engine doesn't mean the output will be the same, that is a great engine and it has a lot of potential.

Cadillac has engines from Corvettes, Camaros, etc they can use for the CTS-V, and in fact the engine in the CTS-V is from the Corvette Z06. Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a 600+HP engine just sitting there to adapt and use.
Old 12-19-14, 11:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think you have to realize something of the reality here. If Lexus sells 100 GS-Fs a month it'll' be huge. You can't really expect them to develpp an entirely new engine JUST for the GS-F. It only makes sense to use the basic engine from the RC-F with more power. Just because its the same basio engine doesn't mean the output will be the same, that is a great engine and it has a lot of potential.

Cadillac has engines from Corvettes, Camaros, etc they can use for the CTS-V, and in fact the engine in the CTS-V is from the Corvette Z06. Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a 600+HP engine just sitting there to adapt and use.
This is the most amusing statement I've ever heard. Why don't they have any 600hp car? Toyota has all the resources to make 5 of them in their lineup and still make money from other models. The problem is, they can't justify making one while other smaller manufactures are making them.
Old 12-20-14, 12:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
3.5 v6 in the IS/GS is 10 yrs old.
BMW has changed their turbo 6 three times in that span.
N54 to N55 to B58 next year.
Same with their V8s.
Turbo 4 is getting updated already in the 328i over next 1-2 yrs, and it just came out when the F30 3series came out.
BMW and Lexus have very different goals and strategies. A lot of BMW updates came due to catastrophical failures they have quite often with their engines :-).

New Lexus V8 is amazing engine. New V6 coming this year will likely be as well, but we cant be sure of that.

With turbo engines, you can tweak and release updates every 2 years, it is very different from NA. For instance Toyota's turbo diesels get updates all the time.

And RC comment is pretty silly - car just came out and it is selling out. Apparently thats not good enough, forums should be overloaded with enthusiasts? Does that mean that CT200h is enthusiast vehicle since their forums are full? I would guess that people who got one are busy enjoying themselves.
Old 12-20-14, 01:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If not this, then I'm sure the next generation of F cars would finally take the crown away from BMW.
is it that simple? I doubt it... even here, people are willing to defend M5 which is called a lousy attempt by most credible magazines, and be hard on yet unreleased GS-F, just because.

I am sure same people would found some other problem... before when GR was fresh and superior engine, then it was "feel" that was all important.. now apparently handling does not matter anymore, it is just power output.

Fact is that most 5 series get sold with 4cly engine... GS350 is much superior combo to that. But thats all ok, since few hundred people buy M5, and thats where the street cred comes from, not the actual cars that they sell.
Old 12-20-14, 03:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TFB109B
517 HP
I'm happy with 517 HP.
Heck, I'm happy with 500 HP MINIMUM. Lexus isn't required to do more than that BUT THEY SHOULD NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN THAT.

As such:
Originally Posted by TF109B
maybe it's 20hp up from the RC F at 487hp,
487 HP IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT.

The point is, a measly 10 HP upgrade (from the RC-F) just won't do.

Why not upgrade it by 30 HP:
487 HP (from the RC-F) + 30 HP = 507 HP

or fine at very least
487 HP + 23 HP = 500 HP

I say that because imho there's no way for you to outgun a Jaguar XF-R if you only have <500 HP
Old 12-20-14, 04:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
This is the most amusing statement I've ever heard. Why don't they have any 600hp car? Toyota has all the resources to make 5 of them in their lineup and still make money from other models. The problem is, they can't justify making one while other smaller manufactures are making them.
Plus, they can share new engine with future new LS and LC top of the line versions. LS600hL had an engine that no other models share yet they can justify that ......

The IS F would use that 5.0 later without the electric motor, but you can see, the same idea .....

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-20-14 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:26 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
is it that simple? I doubt it... even here, people are willing to defend M5 which is called a lousy attempt by most credible magazines, and be hard on yet unreleased GS-F, just because.

I am sure same people would found some other problem... before when GR was fresh and superior engine, then it was "feel" that was all important.. now apparently handling does not matter anymore, it is just power output.

Fact is that most 5 series get sold with 4cly engine... GS350 is much superior combo to that. But thats all ok, since few hundred people buy M5, and thats where the street cred comes from, not the actual cars that they sell.

Those people just can't get over the fact that it took Lexus 25 years to do what it took others nearly 70 years. Haters going to hate.
Old 12-20-14, 04:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Some here speculated that the GS F would be lighter than the RC F which will make it OK to have only 500 hp or less.
But that would mean they are making their own RC F look bad since the GS F will then have more power and lighter and faster than the supposedly smaller class RC F coupe, which is odd , would Lexus even allow that to happen ? And should they ? Just a thought ... unless of course they upgrade the RC F hp also by the time the GS F comes out ....
Old 12-20-14, 05:01 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Some here speculated that the GS F would be lighter than the RC F which will make it OK to have only 500 hp or less.
But that would mean they are making their own RC F look bad since the GS F will then have more power and lighter and faster than the supposedly smaller class RC F coupe, which is odd , would Lexus even allow that to happen ? And should they ? Just a thought ... unless of course they upgrade the RC F hp also by the time the GS F comes out ....
But don't forget that RC-F will also be cheaper, by at least $10K - $20K. So, its like with anything else, if you want something better, you pay more. Makes total sense.
Old 12-20-14, 05:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
But don't forget that RC-F will also be cheaper, by at least $10K - $20K. So, its like with anything else, if you want something better, you pay more. Makes total sense.
But M3 /M4 also cheaper and faster than M5 , that was true even 2 generations back when M5 with its unique V10 ALWAYS win any comparison and at its peak with reputation , but M3 still the faster and more agile track car than M5 , you sacrifice size/ practicality for more speed / agility, and you pay less ...
Old 12-20-14, 05:48 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
+1

Wasn't Lexus testing a highly modified LS with over 600 hp on a track a while back?

It's hard to do a bespoke engine for 1 or 2 cars. Take Audi/VW 4.0 TT V8. Not only is it found in the RS6 but the RS7, S8, S7, S6, A8 and even Bentley Continental. BMWs 4.4 TT V8 is in the 550i, 650i, 750i, X5, X6, M5, M6, X5 M, and X6 M.
Old 12-20-14, 05:58 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Default V8 + super capacitors

Any chance Lexus will adapt the TS40's technologies into its F cars?
Old 12-20-14, 06:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
BMW and Lexus have very different goals and strategies. A lot of BMW updates came due to catastrophical failures they have quite often with their engines :-).

New Lexus V8 is amazing engine. New V6 coming this year will likely be as well, but we cant be sure of that.

With turbo engines, you can tweak and release updates every 2 years, it is very different from NA. For instance Toyota's turbo diesels get updates all the time.
None of what you said makes sense.
I know you love Toyota/Lexus but we also got to call them out for really dropping the ball when it comes to competitive engines across their lineup.
Just like u call out BMW for reliability,,,,

Lexus will be 100% turbo in next 5 years.
BMW started this trend and Lexus is following, so hows it they have different goals they are competing in same segments for the most part.

Also the BMW engine changes are SIGNIFICANT, this is not a tweak as u say to just increase boost for more power.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)