Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this the GS F?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)

Old 12-18-14, 07:00 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey the shorter are the drls, the less is the price. Cost cutting 101
Old 12-18-14, 07:07 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Much agreed. Looks way more integrated
I would say it looks predictable. Lexus is definitely evolving its design with every single iteration either as new model or a facelift, finally. Thats why I like their take on short swoosh DRLs. They are not recycling the design elements thats for sure.

Just look at the poor Jaguar, they are still beating on 2007 sedan design language without any intention to push it forward, new XF included.
Old 12-18-14, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

I highly doubt its an example of cost cutting. Why wouldn't you have shorter DRLs on the NX? or the IS? This is a deliberate expression of style. We'll just have to see how it looks in person.
Old 12-18-14, 10:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

This is something I think the people who do not understand the direction Lexus is going, and why there are some differences in their approach vs BMW with M and MB with AMG need to watch.

This is an RC-F Review, but whats of value is the interview with Yukihiko Yaguchi about the direction of the F Brand and what it means to Lexus, and what M means to BMW and AMG means to MB. He says specifically than an M epitomizes the objectives of BMW, and an AMG does the same for Mercedes....an F epitomizes the objectives of Lexus...and those objectives are unique to the brand and they may not line up with the objectives of the other brands.

Starting at 0:40

To me this is a key component of what Lexus needs to do in order to truly make themselves a stand alone brand that people buy because "its a Lexus" and not because "its cheaper and more reliable than a BMW or Mercedes". They need to develop a core set of objectives and criteria that defines what a "Lexus" is...and build to that instead of just always trying to create a better BMW model or a more economical Mercedes model.

Audi has done this. Audis have a feel and a goal all their own. People don't deride Audis for being basically FWD drivetrains, or the S6 for not being to the level of an M5. The S6 is its own thing...and people respect that. An Audi either appeals to you, or it doesn't. I have no problem with Lexus taking the same approach, they're doing that with their styling, and their direction with their F Line. NA V8s, handling and tuning that rewards on the track and street at all ability levels.
Old 12-18-14, 10:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is something I think the people who do not understand the direction Lexus is going, and why there are some differences in their approach vs BMW with M and MB with AMG need to watch.

This is an RC-F Review, but whats of value is the interview with Yukihiko Yaguchi about the direction of the F Brand and what it means to Lexus, and what M means to BMW and AMG means to MB. He says specifically than an M epitomizes the objectives of BMW, and an AMG does the same for Mercedes....an F epitomizes the objectives of Lexus...and those objectives are unique to the brand and they may not line up with the objectives of the other brands.

To me this is a key component of what Lexus needs to do in order to truly make themselves a stand alone brand that people buy because "its a Lexus" and not because "its cheaper and more reliable than a BMW or Mercedes". They need to develop a core set of objectives and criteria that defines what a "Lexus" is...and build to that instead of just always trying to create a better BMW model or a more economical Mercedes model.

Audi has done this. Audis have a feel and a goal all their own. People don't deride Audis for being basically FWD drivetrains, or the S6 for not being to the level of an M5. The S6 is its own thing...and people respect that. An Audi either appeals to you, or it doesn't. I have no problem with Lexus taking the same approach, they're doing that with their styling, and their direction with their F Line. NA V8s, handling and tuning that rewards on the track and street at all ability levels.
Excellent post
Old 12-18-14, 11:44 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
a lot of posts in this thread are laughable. to say that the F is not against amg and m is just a pure joke, that's nothing but sandbagging. the s6 is a damn good car though, no doubt, but so that becomes the excuse for gsf?

i have no problem for a v8 gs, i am happy for it. but if 480hp with a gsf name to it? doesn't make sense. but others can think otherwise.
480 - 500 hp GS would be great as a GS500 F-Sport to compete with the Audi S6, but when Lexus comes out and states that F cars are going to be Flagship cars, I expected the GS-F to be competing with the competition such as the competitions flagships such as M5, RS6 and E-AMG cars.
Old 12-19-14, 01:21 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Sure we would want more power, but that is not possible. Lexus(Toyota) doesn't just add turbo to an engine like TRD, Modellista or Gazoo would do for one-off vehicles. If the Lexus comes-up with a GS F that is different the main rivals, people will look at other comparables other than performance numbers, and if a Lexus is selected with a low weighting in performance number, then Lexus has achieved something great. You get a German only based on numbers (subconsciously even) and which among those Germans is based on emotion and affinity or identification. Now if the Lexus GS F competing is less powerful than its rivals, Lexus does not depend on what they do and can have more freedom, meaning a potential LS F could have 650 PS without saying "I have more power than S 65 AMG", because it will be clear Lexus does not compete on sole performance figures, as every other single brand does.
Old 12-19-14, 01:29 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
this car wont be an M5 fighter, M5 V8TT will dust it. But the GSF will be signficantly cheaper than an M5 so its kind of an in between the M3/4 and 5. M5 starts at high 90s? I bet the GSF will be 85k loaded, as a GS is $8k more than an RC. M5 I wanted to make was $115k
Can't just use pure $ difference to come up with an estimate of how much a GS-F would be. Take % difference from similar models in the Lexus lineup and see if we can see how Lexus does things.

The RC350 F-sport to RC-F is a 33% price increase (base price). If we use that same percentage from a GS450h F-sport (current highest model in the range) to GS-F it would start around $90k

Last edited by xioix; 12-19-14 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 02:04 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I highly doubt its an example of cost cutting. Why wouldn't you have shorter DRLs on the NX? or the IS? This is a deliberate expression of style. We'll just have to see how it looks in person.
I was being sarcastic. Of course this is part of the design. And I like the fact that the drls look different on the new GS.
Old 12-19-14, 02:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Can't just use pure $ difference to come up with an estimate of how much a GS-F would be. Take % difference from similar models in the Lexus lineup and see if we can see how Lexus does things.

The RC350 F-sport to RC-F is a 33% price increase (base price). If we use that same percentage from a GS450h F-sport (current highest model in the range) to GS-F it would start around $90k
Why would you use GS450h though? GS350 vs GS-F is same as RC-350 vs RC-F. So it should not be more than $10k difference. I would say $80k start max.

But also, without knowing what is inside exactly, we wont know the price either.

Of course, not to forget that Lexus sets price based on their sales goals and competition - "market conditions" - and not actual production price.
Old 12-19-14, 02:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Lexus RC-F is no IS-F - CCSR Version also in the works - YouTube

well said...
Old 12-19-14, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RC starts 42k, RCF starts 62k, so a simple forecast is GSF would start 20k over base GS (50k) making a GSF start at 70k, then make it 85k loaded
Old 12-19-14, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RC starts 42k, RCF starts 62k, so a simple forecast is GSF would start 20k over base GS (50k) making a GSF start at 70k, then make it 85k loaded
loaded could be easily over $90k... it is going to have more options than RC-F and RC-F carbon with TVD is pretty expensive too, over 80k, right?

But I also think that it will start in 70's....
Old 12-19-14, 06:11 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Lexus RC-F is no IS-F - CCSR Version also in the works - YouTube

I certainly agree with the core set of objectives but regarding the Audi first off the S6 competes with the BMW 550i, CTS V-Sport, and Jaguar XF Supercharged. It has now been known for years that Audis RS products compete with AMG and M with Audi S products actually going head to head with AMG Sport, M-Sport, V-Sport, you see where I'm going with this?

The S6 is an underrated performance sedan with a RWD based AWD system. The FWD argument doesn't really hold any value. Faster than the competition? Check. Posts higher grip? Check. Audi has made up from their "Short comings" and has been beating out lots of the RWD competition as many comparison tests conclude. It becomes a numbers war this high in the vehicle spectrum.

Knowing the GS-F will be naturally aspirated is one thing but the GS-F can't be like the RC-F which competes in a lower class of performance vehicles. It's smaller than the GS but weighs 4000 lbs with 467 hp. The N/A GS-F will have to reverse those numbers. Less weight, more horse power. I'm hoping the GS-F comes in under 4000 lbs with around 500 hp. I know it will be lighter than the competition and not have as much hp but if they can match the power to weight ratio of cars like the E63 and M5 then acceleration will be similar. Since this will be lighter than the competition I am expecting it to blow past the competition handling wise.
Old 12-19-14, 07:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Now we have the GS F and some are crying fowl because it does not perfectly fit against the M5, E63, CTS-V.
It just needs 500 HP Minimum.

The Jag setup for their 5.0 Supercharged engine ranges from 510-550 HP.

We are not asking for 510-550-600+. All we're asking for is 500 HP minimum.

Even with an NA setup, it should still be possible. If not, they can make a new engine with a revised bore and stroke........like the 3UR engine with 5.7 liters. Just make a performance version of it then call it:
3UR-GSE (5,700cc)

If not, then use a supercharger (like the one they used in that Middle East-spec LX 570)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)