Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this the GS F?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 05:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so whats the deal then? wait until you get that data.
It was you who said it will be 480 - 500 hp, I was just responding to your post

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-17-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It was you who said it will be 480 - 500 hp, I was just responding to your post
i cant see it much more than that... but you also said it is not just 0-60, so it is not just about hp :-)
Old 12-17-14, 05:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Right...why are we even arguing about this before we get the data?
Because we are on the internet.
Old 12-17-14, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Because we are on the internet.
True enough lol
Old 12-17-14, 06:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would anyone be thankful if Lexus is not offering what they want, unless you won't consider anything other than a Lexus, and even then, you should be disappointed that you have to compromise for a slower performance sedan just because you want to stick with Lexus for whatever reason.
I stick with Lexus for it's much longer longevity and much higher reliability, it is much cheaper to own overall and much less headaches to deal with.

With that being said, all we got so far is a 300hp V6 GS350 F-Sport, shouldn't we be thankful for a 500 hp V8 GS-F with all the go fast bits......brakes, suspension, wheels/tires..........etc?
Old 12-17-14, 06:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Right...why are we even arguing about this before we get the data?
Because we pretty much know the production spec of the car..........it is not rocket science.
Old 12-17-14, 06:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
With that being said, all we got so far is a 300hp V6 GS350 F-Sport, shouldn't we be thankful for a 500 hp V8 GS-F with all the go fast bits......brakes, suspension, wheels/tires..........etc?
I know I will when I seriously consider leasing one come summer
Old 12-17-14, 06:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I stick with Lexus for it's much longer longevity and much higher reliability, it is much cheaper to own overall and much less headaches to deal with.

You can be thankful, if that's how you feel, nothing wrong with that, won't tell you how you should feel, but others should not be told they should be thankful to anything that Lexus do either, different people have different criteria to judge things ......
Old 12-17-14, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because we pretty much know the production spec of the car..........it is not rocket science.
We actually don't know, and the production spec doesn't translate into the drivability and enjoyment factor of the car the way a lot of the posters here would like to believe it does.
Old 12-17-14, 06:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

We actually don't know, and the production spec doesn't translate into the drivability and enjoyment factor of the car the way a lot of the posters here would like to believe it does.
Of course drivability matters but the hp cannot be too far off either, and if it drives better than the M5, it's just because BMW dropped the ball on this generation based the 5 on the 7, and hp bragging rights DO MATTER if you want to build the F brand., and you won't build a performance loyalty base too successfully if your customers have to make too many excuses ... it's slower in most performance criteria but but but ......
Old 12-17-14, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course drivability matters but the hp cannot be too far off either, and if it drives better than the M5, it's just because BMW dropped the ball on this generation based the 5 on the 7, and hp bragging rights DO MATTER if you want to build the F brand., and you won't build a performance loyalty base too successfully if your customers have to make too many excuses ... it's slower in most performance criteria but but but ......
The argument that the GS has a better chassis than the 5 "Because BMW dropped the ball on this generation" is a ridiculous argument. The competitor built a car that has an inferior chassis, thats the bottom line. The GS is a better car all around, thats also the bottom line.

I think what you're seeing is that Lexus is coming to grips with the fact that they aren't going to take buyers from BMW and MB in this segment. These are halo cars, and people are buying that M5 they've always wanted or E63 they've always wanted. BUT...there are buyers out there who will buy a car that follows the feel of the brand they're accustomed to buying. Like the S6...and the GS-F.

For instance, I would not even consider an M4 over an RC-F. I honestly would not. Whether the M4 is "faster" or has "more horsepower" is meaningless to me, how does it look, how does it fit me, how does it drive and perform on the road. That car would be the RC-F if I were in that segment, and it would be the GS-F if I were looking for that sort of car.

Looking at your cars, why do you drive them? The SC is underpowered, dynamically its nothing at all approaching any sort of a performance or even a sporty car. The LS is underpowered, wallowy...you own them because they fit you and what you're looking for out of a car even though neither one of them is even remotely "the best" at anything on paper.
Old 12-17-14, 06:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The argument that the GS has a better chassis than the 5 "Because BMW dropped the ball on this generation" is a ridiculous argument. The competitor built a car that has an inferior chassis, thats the bottom line. The GS is a better car all around, thats also the bottom line.

I think what you're seeing is that Lexus is coming to grips with the fact that they aren't going to take buyers from BMW and MB in this segment. These are halo cars, and people are buying that M5 they've always wanted or E63 they've always wanted. BUT...there are buyers out there who will buy a car that follows the feel of the brand they're accustomed to buying. Like the S6...and the GS-F.

For instance, I would not even consider an M4 over an RC-F. I honestly would not. Whether the M4 is "faster" or has "more horsepower" is meaningless to me, how does it look, how does it fit me, how does it drive and perform on the road. That car would be the RC-F if I were in that segment, and it would be the GS-F if I were looking for that sort of car.

Looking at your cars, why do you drive them? The SC is underpowered, dynamically its nothing at all approaching any sort of a performance or even a sporty car. The LS is underpowered, wallowy...you own them because they fit you and what you're looking for out of a car even though neither one of them is even remotely "the best" at anything on paper.
It would be a pity if that superior chassis(at least for this current generation) does not have comparable hp as the competitors for it to really shine to show the world they can be unquestionably the very best I would think
I already think it's a pity that with the 4GS chassis, they didn't offer a "regular" ~400hp V8 .

Because in discussing about building a performance brand like the F, I don't just consider what I want or need or what fits me.
This discussion is not about me shopping for a particular car for myself at this particular time. It's about the market as a whole and how they can improve their status in the sports sedan/coupe category.
They start building F cars because they want them to be Halo cars for Lexus that people would "always wanted"right ? They don't have that image now in performance, and they should be shooting to achieve the status the M and AMG cars have achieved.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-17-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They start building F cars because they want them to be Halo cars for Lexus that people would "always wanted"right ?
The key term here is "Halo cars for Lexus". A Halo car for Lexus is different from a Halo car for BMW, MB, etc. Lexus has a requirement for levels of reliability, dependability, refinement that have been a big factor in them choosing to stay with NA V8s in the RC-F and presumably the GS-F IMHO. They can build turbocharged and supercharged V6s and V8s just like anybody else. Why haven't they? Because they don't think they can do that and offer the same level of quality in those departments that Lexus customers are used to.

They're not going to be successful trying to "one-up" BMW and MB on performance figures. What they are doing is defining what a halo performance LEXUS is. When they say "They didn't have a competitor directly in mind when they designed the RC-F" thats what they are trying to tell us.

This is a great time to be a Lexus enthusiast. They truly are building the cars that everybody here has always wanted, and writing all of that off because some horsepower number is not as high as that from a competitor is really silly. The way some of you go around refusing to acknowledge that mystifies me. The 4GS is a GREAT car, the 3IS is a GREAT car, the RC is a GREAT car. The future is very bright.

It would be a pity if that superior chassis(at least for this current generation)
LOL. Please don't take offense at this because its not meant to be offensive. Why are you a Lexus owner and a moderator on the largest Lexus forum if you think so little of the brand that you can't bring yourself to admit that the GS has a better chassis than the 5 or E without a qualifier like "at least for this generation"? I'm legitimately curious.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-17-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 07:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The key term here is "Halo cars for Lexus". A Halo car for Lexus is different from a Halo car for BMW, MB, etc. Lexus has a requirement for levels of reliability, dependability, refinement that have been a big factor in them choosing to stay with NA V8s in the RC-F and presumably the GS-F IMHO. They can build turbocharged and supercharged V6s and V8s just like anybody else. Why haven't they? Because they don't think they can do that and offer the same level of quality in those departments that Lexus customers are used to.

They're not going to be successful trying to "one-up" BMW and MB on performance figures. What they are doing is defining what a halo performance LEXUS is. When they say "They didn't have a competitor directly in mind when they designed the RC-F" thats what they are trying to tell us.

This is a great time to be a Lexus enthusiast. They truly are building the cars that everybody here has always wanted, and writing all of that off because some horsepower number is not as high as that from a competitor is really silly. The way some of you go around refusing to acknowledge that mystifies me. The 4GS is a GREAT car, the 3IS is a GREAT car, the RC is a GREAT car. The future is very bright.
Never said their future is not bright I thought just the opposite in fact. They still have models that satisfy their loyal customers for what they traditionally appreciate Lexus cars for, and now they are trying to offer some performance models as well, so I look forward for the new performance models to expand to new market/territories without presuming anything. If they don't try they won't succeed, and it may take them a few generations to gain traction.

We have CAR enthusiasts here, not just one brand enthusiasts, and people, many moderators included, have moved on to own other brands as well . Many members here and some moderators have own multiple brands all the time in fact. I have also owned other brands as well.

LOL. Please don't take offense at this because its not meant to be offensive. Why are you a Lexus owner and a moderator on the largest Lexus forum if you think so little of the brand that you can't bring yourself to admit that the GS has a better chassis than the 5 or E without a qualifier like "at least for this generation"? I'm legitimately curious.
Funny, where did I ever said 4GS chassis is not better than 5 and E ?? I actually said it would be a pity not to combine the superior chassis with superior power than they have now ,

Qualifier is necessary and not silly at all because competition never stands still, and the best thing real Lexus supporters can do is to keep Lexus on their toes, and not to praise or at least not question everything they do, and tow the company line like some fan boys(of all brands) like to do.

BMW decide to soften their cars for this generation, so they took a backward step in this regard, and got criticized by some of their fans. Sales don't seem to be affected, maybe even improved, but will they reverse that for next generation ? Nobody knows, it's up to them.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-17-14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 07:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great posts

Not to mention, there are a lot of other reasons that people buy cars than 0-60 or horsepower: reliability, price, design, service experience, tech features, how it feels behind the wheel, exclusivity, etc.

If you have been reading any of the RC F vs. M4 banter, quite a bit of it is people salivating over the V8 vs. FI I6. Not an apples to apples comparison because the M5 and E63 also have V8s, but they're also turbocharged and if I recall correctly, neither is particularly rev-happy considering the monstrous torque. This 5.0L V8 may very well be one of the last N/A V8 performance engines of our time, and there's something to be said for that. The driving experience in the GS F will be very different based on that fact alone.

I'm not making excuses for Lexus building a 500hp GS F. Quite frankly, I don't think it requires an excuse. If Lexus builds it, people buy it, and it adds another layer to the F brand, then mission accomplished.

I believe this is going to be a great car and am looking very forward to it

Quick Reply: Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)