Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin signs Letter of Intent for technical partnership with AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 03:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Aston Martin signs Letter of Intent for technical partnership with AMG

I've searched high and low and I can't find a post regarding the possible partnership between Aston and AMG so I'm starting a new thread.

Aston Martin signs Letter of Intent for technical partnership with AMG

A little over two months ago came reports that Daimler and Aston Martin were in talks, again, about "supply and technical-cooperation agreements." The next step has been taken with Aston Martin announcing that it has signed a Letter of Intent that looks "towards a technical partnership" with Mercedes-AMG GmbH, and the two companies aiming to have definitive agreements done by year's end.

While it will get to use certain electric and electronic components from AMG, the true golden egg for the maker of the Vanquish will be the ability to develop a new line of "bespoke V8 powertrains" that will be fitted to "a new generation of models." In return for opening up the larder, Daimler will get a non-voting stake of up to five percent of Aston Martin.

Aston Martin in technical partnership with Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Thursday 25 July, 2013, Gaydon: Aston Martin is today announcing moves towards a technical partnership with Mercedes-AMG GmbH, a 100% subsidiary and high performance brand of German multinational automotive corporation Daimler AG. A Letter of Intent to this end has been signed today and both parties are working towards signing definitive agreements before the end of the year. Such agreements are subject to applicable regulatory approvals.

The proposed deal will see Aston Martin access significant Mercedes-AMG GmbH and Mercedes-Benz Cars' resources, allowing the development of bespoke V8 powertrains and the use of certain components of electric/electronic (e/e) architecture.

Daimler AG will own a stake of up to five per cent non-voting shares in Aston Martin depending on the progress of the agreement. The company will join the existing shareholders that include Investment DAR, Adeem Investment and Investindustrial.

The technical partnership will support Aston Martin's launch of a new generation of models that will incorporate cutting edge technology and newly-developed bespoke V8 powertrains. An essential element of the planned partnership is a supply agreement between Mercedes-AMG, Daimler AG and Aston Martin.

Aston Martin, which is Britain's most exclusive sports car company, is celebrating its centenary this year. The company will continue to manufacture all of its sports cars at its Gaydon headquarters in Warwickshire, England.

Aston Martin Product Development Director Ian Minards said: "We have selected AMG specifically as the basis for this powertrain development process.

"Aston Martin sources cutting edge technology from key suppliers around the globe and the opportunity to include content from Mercedes-AMG GmbH in our next generation sports cars is, clearly, good news."

He added: "Working with Mercedes-AMG in this way while, of course, remaining independent and preserving the unique character and style of Aston Martin that has been the mainstay of the company throughout its 100-year history, points to a very bright future for the company as it starts its second century in business."

Ola Källenius, Head of Mercedes-AMG GmbH said: "We are proud to work with Aston Martin and provide them with powertrain and e/e components for their forthcoming sports cars. This is proof of AMG's technological and performance expertise and a real win-win situation for both sides."

The companies confirm that their respective engineering teams will work together to optimise the implementation of this technical partnership.

Both parties have agreed that no further details of the planned technical partnership will be revealed for the time being.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/25/a...artnership-wi/
Old 07-25-13, 09:24 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aww i was hoping to see an aston martin and Lexus partnership because the two do have an existing relationships; aston martin sells a modified version of toyota IQ.

Aston martin with lexus engine, most perfect car ever made
Old 07-25-13, 09:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Aww i was hoping to see an aston martin and Lexus partnership because the two do have an existing relationships; aston martin sells a modified version of toyota IQ.

Aston martin with lexus engine, most perfect car ever made
Aston Martin with a LFA V10 or IS-F V8 sure, but that's about it.

Still Aston Martin with AMG V8 or V12 = Bonkers
Old 07-26-13, 03:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The big question is whether Aston martin will use the exact same engines that go into AMGs, or will have AMG build to spec. The former implies that Aston could go forced induction as well. The latter could be awesome (think Pagani).

Overall, I have mixed feelings on this move. I guess whether it's good or bad depends on whether someone's a fan of Aston's V12 cars or V8 cars. For the V12s, this could be a great thing especially considering that the existing Aston Martin 6L V12 design is based on pairing two Ford Duratec 3L V6s together, and shares much of the same parts and technology. I always thought that was pretty embarrassing for AM, regardless of Cosworth's involvement.

On the other hand, Aston's custom built 4.7L V8 in the Vantage is one of my favorite engines on the market. While it's also based on a Ford/Jaguar engine, it's been heavily modified, and I think Aston has done a great job with it. I think it would be a shame if that engine were replaced with one of AMG's typical biturbo offerings.
Old 07-26-13, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
The big question is whether Aston martin will use the exact same engines that go into AMGs, or will have AMG build to spec. The former implies that Aston could go forced induction as well. The latter could be awesome (think Pagani).

Overall, I have mixed feelings on this move. I guess whether it's good or bad depends on whether someone's a fan of Aston's V12 cars or V8 cars. For the V12s, this could be a great thing especially considering that the existing Aston Martin 6L V12 design is based on pairing two Ford Duratec 3L V6s together, and shares much of the same parts and technology. I always thought that was pretty embarrassing for AM, regardless of Cosworth's involvement.

On the other hand, Aston's custom built 4.7L V8 in the Vantage is one of my favorite engines on the market. While it's also based on a Ford/Jaguar engine, it's been heavily modified, and I think Aston has done a great job with it. I think it would be a shame if that engine were replaced with one of AMG's typical biturbo offerings.
I too like the AM 4.7L V8. Was happy they bumped it up from the 4.3L V8.

A new 4.0L TT V8 would be a nice little engine in the Vantage (my wishlist lol)
Old 09-16-13, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

Default AMG-powered Aston Martins still years away

AMG-powered Aston Martins still years away

After flirting for several years, Mercedes-Benz and Aston Martin have finally tied the knot. Just don't expect to see any offspring to result from the union for at least three or four years.

This according to Auto Express, which spoke with Daimler chief Dr. Dieter Zetsche at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week. AE reports that a new range of AMG-developed turbocharged V8s, transmissions and electrical components will make their way into the successors to the current V8 Vantage and DB9, but that these models are still a few years off.

Purists might balk at the thought of a Mercedes-powered Aston holding true to the brand's heritage. But while David Brown (for whom the DB range is named) may have steered clear of shoehorning in Detroit muscle into his cars, the entirety of the company's current range is powered by engines borrowing technology from Ford, and that arrangement seems to have worked well for Aston until now. And if you're still skeptical, look no further than Pagani and its AMG-sourced engines and you should have all the proof you need that the new relationship between Daimler and Aston could be a success.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/16/a...in-years-away/
Old 12-19-13, 04:47 PM
Hoovey689

Default Aston Martin and Mercedes-AMG formalize technical partnership

Aston Martin and Mercedes-AMG formalize technical partnership

The development of a partnership between Mercedes-Benz and Aston Martin has been a long time coming. The news dates back to 2008, and over the five years since was supposed to lead to a rejuvenation of both the Maybach and Lagonda brands. That program ultimately fell apart, but the tie-in was forged afresh in July when the two automakers signed a letter of intent over a renewed partnership. And now that partnership has been formalized.

In a deal just announced, Mercedes-AMG will build a new V8 engine for Aston Martin that will power a new generation of luxury GTs for the British marque, presumably to replace the 4.7-liter V8 in the Vantage. The relationship appears to be similar to the one already in place between AMG and Pagani, only in this case, will involve Daimler taking as much as a five-percent stake in Aston Martin and an observer seat on Aston's board.

The technical partnership is also set to lead to the supply of electric and electronic systems, and could incorporate "additional areas of cooperation in the future." Whether that will include a fresh attempt at reviving Lagonda remains to be seen, as does the future of Aston's long-serving, Ford-based 6.0-liter V12 engine.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/19/a...ship-official/
Old 12-19-13, 05:22 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff. Only if I could afford an Aston.
Old 12-19-13, 05:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by iRock
Good stuff. Only if I could afford an Aston.
You and me both brother
Old 12-20-13, 10:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This sounds like a union made in heaven
Old 12-20-13, 11:15 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a union made in heaven!
Old 12-20-13, 11:18 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To begin with, why do people say that Aston Martin V12 cars are under-powered?

The AM310 Vanquish wants to have a word with those critics/skeptics
Old 12-20-13, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

I think they've pushed the V12 to it's brink with near 560bhp. It is remember two 3.0L Ford Duratec V6's, Odds are they will downsize and go FI with this AMG partnership.

Very curious to see what they do with my favortite Aston the Vantage. A bi-turbo 4.0L V8 would be ok with me
Old 08-06-14, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Default Mercedes increases stake in Aston Martin

As part of an increasingly close partnership, Mercedes-Benz parent company Daimler is reportedly preparing to increase its stake in Aston Martin by another one percent, bringing the German automaker's shares in the British company up to five percent.

The rapprochement between the two has been in the works for years now, and is finally beginning to take form. Mercedes-AMG is in the midst of developing a new engine with and for Aston Martin in an apparently similar arrangement to that which it has with Pagani. But that's not the extent of it.

Daimler will also furnish Aston Martin with electrical systems and other components, said to lead up to the eventual sharing of platforms: one to underpin future GTs and another to serve as the basis for a long-mooted Aston Martin crossover, now said to be back on the table and slated to launch in 2017. The prospect of using the partnership to reinvigorate both the Lagonda and Maybach luxury brands, however, has since been taken off the table, with both parties continuing those projects independently.

The deal is said to have been brokered by Investindustrial. The Italian concern bought 37.5 percent of Aston Martin over a year and a half ago. Prior to selling Ducati to the Volkswagen Group, Investindustrial had brokered a partnership between AMG and the motorcycle manufacturer.

Mercedes, for its part, had a similar relationship with another British sports car manufacturer before it and McLaren parted their separate ways, while Aston Martin aborted its partnership with Toyota.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/06/m...martin-report/
Old 08-06-14, 05:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wonder if Aston Martin will just take off the shelf AMG engines or have them built to spec like Pagani does in the Zonda and Huyeracia(sp?). I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the big displacement naturally aspirated V8 under the hood of an Aston, ie 600+hp, with a hellacious soundtrack to match.