Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac logo losing its wreath again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 03:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cadillac logo losing its wreath again?

Cadillac logo losing its wreath again?

The easily recognizable Cadillac logo dates back to the company's founding in the early 1900s, but over the last 110 years, there has been an on-again, off-again love affair with the wreath surrounding the crest. Cadillac's current badge design has used the wreath since the 1980s, but Automotive News is reporting that GM's luxury division is planning to ditch the laurel wreath for a cleaner-looking logo.

The new logo could make its debut as early as next month on a new concept car that will be revealed at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, although the report also says that it might be until 2015 before it makes its way to a production car. Even then, it doesn't like anything has been finalized yet, as the article also says that plans could still change.

As Cadillac looks to improve its global presence as a luxury automaker, the report says that a simpler logo could make it easier for designers to incorporate the badge onto the car – either in the grille or above the grille (possibly in a fashion similar to Mercedes-Benz).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/23/c...ng-its-wreath/
Old 07-23-13, 03:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still miss the ducks...

Old 07-24-13, 12:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It would be cool to see the crest with the V again. The V could really work with the sharply angled styling they've been doing for the past 10 years.

I'd also like to maybe see them do the pope hat crest like on the tail-lights of that 79 Deville pictured. Not in big gaudy chrome like those, but maybe etched somehow into the tailight plastic or design it might look cool.
Old 07-24-13, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It would be cool to see the crest with the V again. The V could really work with the sharply angled styling they've been doing for the past 10 years.
Yep, I agree. And, better yet, since a new GM RWD V8 platform is about to debut in a couple of months (Chevy SS, Buick GNX), how about a new RWD Cadillac Fleetwood to hang that V/crest on again?
Old 07-24-13, 11:06 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice read:

http://home.iag.net/~middlebr/crest.html

Sad to a brand with so much heritage fall so low.
Old 07-24-13, 11:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is a great idea! It's about time GM gets with modern times and join it's competitors in offering modern and organic shapes for emblems. Leaves and branches are tacky, jagged, harsh, unsophisticated, and totally dated compared to today's modern car symbols. The squarish Chevy bowtie is also a dated shape that no longer blends in with modern trends. Overhaul is long overdue.
Old 07-24-13, 12:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

this is why Ford and GM are failing, they think the problem is in their logo's, not cars.
Old 07-24-13, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't mind the wreath, but even just the shield would be clean
Old 07-24-13, 01:51 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is a great idea! It's about time GM gets with modern times and join it's competitors in offering modern and organic shapes for emblems. Leaves and branches are tacky, jagged, harsh, unsophisticated, and totally dated compared to today's modern car symbols. The squarish Chevy bowtie is also a dated shape that no longer blends in with modern trends. Overhaul is long overdue.
On the contrary. Most modern logos are sterile. I'd like to see Buick go back to the colored tri-shield.
Old 07-25-13, 12:49 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the ornateness of the Cadillac logo. Thanks for posting the history, mrraider! Good read.

The details with the symbols is pretty interesting. I love the Porsche emblem as well.

Will I miss the wreath? Nope. The ducks do need to come back.
Old 07-25-13, 07:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I like the current logo.
Old 07-25-13, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrraider
On the contrary. Most modern logos are sterile. I'd like to see Buick go back to the colored tri-shield.
Buick still uses the tri-color shield in China, arguably its largest market. I agree with you. I'd like to see it come back to the U.S. market....and also the Buick hood ornaments.
Old 07-25-13, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The squarish Chevy bowtie is also a dated shape that no longer blends in with modern trends. Overhaul is long overdue.
The Chevy bowtie emblem is a classic American icon..especially with its modern gold color. Our own flag will change before it does.
Old 07-29-13, 02:06 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Chevy bowtie emblem is a classic American icon..especially with its modern gold color. Our own flag will change before it does.
I hate the big "GOLD" bowtie Chevy has to stick on everything. It totally clashes with about half of the paint colors they offer. I really hate it on Chevy trucks, where they think they have to put the bowtie in size 72 font on the front grill and rear tailgate. Personally I liked the days when they spelled CHEVROLET on the full width of the tailgate.

Why not just go back to the more subtle chrome outline or red outline like they did in the 90's . . .

Old 05-12-14, 09:59 PM
HANS0L0
Driver School Candidate

Check out what I got off Ebay.

There's a thread curve ball for ya. Lol

Just debating whether I'm gonna use em on my GS300. Hmmmm.

Quick Reply: Cadillac logo losing its wreath again?