Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Miss the Pontiac G8? The Chevy SS is coming.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Miss the Pontiac G8? The Chevy SS is coming.

Some of you here definitely liked the Pontiac G8 GT (Mike, I know you were a big fan of it). Except for the interior, I was pretty impressed with it when I reviewed it...especially the way it drove. But I found the interior to be way too much monotone coal-mine black and stuffed with some cheap flimsy parts.

The G8, of course, died with Pontiac itself, but, as was mentioned in some earlier threads, the same (updated) RWD Holden Commodore platform is being re-born as the Chevy SS. Chevy originally planned the Impala SS name for it, but dropped the Impala part, probably to avoid possible confusion with the FWD Impala family-sedan (a superbly-done vehicle in itself, I might add.....I was quite impressed with it when I reviewed it).

I've already seen a couple of police-spec versions in the D.C. area with the red/blue lights on them, but the civilian-spec version will not be available until late in the year. Nevertheless, Chevy seems committed to its production....those of you who miss the G8 and are pining for a replacewent (apparantly) will get your prayers.

This, of course, is not the first time that a future Holden-based SS has been mentioned in CAR CHAT, but some recent images are available as to what it will look like inside and out, so I'll post a few. I think that most of you will agree (as I do) that its trim-quality, interior looks, and fit/finish are head-over-heels above that of the old G8....though there is still a litle too much black inside for my tastes.

And the obvious question........yes, I'll do a review when they are available.

Old 07-23-13, 10:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good find. I like the looks of the SS. The styling, IMO, is understated and a bit aggressive at the same time.
Old 07-23-13, 10:44 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Between the new Impala and this SS, Chevy's designs seem to be getting better.
Old 07-23-13, 12:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do like the look of the new impala
this SS though, im not sure about the looks just yet
interior seems a bit infiniti ish too

whats under the bonnet there?
any specs?
Old 07-23-13, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not a fan of the styling, but at least GM has the sense to offer a RWD V8 on a large sedan here in the States alongside Chrysler and the 300. Shamefully as a Blue Oval fan, that may never happen again as even Australia is phasing out the Falcon
Old 07-23-13, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not a fan of the styling, but at least GM has the sense to offer a RWD V8 on a large sedan here in the States alongside Chrysler and the 300. Shamefully as a Blue Oval fan, that may never happen again as even Australia is phasing out the Falcon
Unless Lincoln offers an RWD luxury sedan sometime. Although it does seem doubtful right now.
Old 07-23-13, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Unless Lincoln offers an RWD luxury sedan sometime. Although it does seem doubtful right now.
As of a few months ago, the latest rumormill suggested a RWD coupe coming for Lincoln. Nothing has since followed
Old 07-24-13, 07:59 AM
LexFather

I think we had a thread on this, its old news. Its also 45k so it will be DOA sadly.

Old 07-24-13, 08:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the looks, but the chrome wheels are totally out of fashion now....silver/gun metal/black would work.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
45k so it will be DOA sadly.
LOL, quoted for truth.
Old 07-24-13, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think we had a thread on this, its old news.
Not sure about a thread, but, yes, there have been a number of earlier posts. You were one of the reasons I brought it up....I know you liked the G8.

Its also 45K so it will be DOA sadly.
Though it probably won't sell in Camry/Accord numbers, I don't quite see it as DOA....I think there's a potential market for a four-door Corvette. Adjusting for some 17 years of inflation since the last big RWD Impala SS was built in 1996, 45K today, though not chump-change, is probably not excessive. I wouldn't be surprised if the Buick GNX version (if it debuts) doesn't run even more. And that 45K, of course, would probably not be for base or lightly-equipped models. If nothing else, I think the police are going to like this car more than the Tauruses and Chargers they've been driving since their trusty Crown Vics were discontinued.

Of course, you do have at least one point on the 45K. The 1996 SS was a TRUE full-size car, with a ladder-frame. This version, though retaining the big V8 and RWD, is substantially smaller outside....so the 45K buys a smaller car. Personally, though, even without (yet) seeing it, I'd probably pick it in a heartbeat over the old one.......much better fit/finish, interior trim, and (based on the G8) overall build quality. The old 1996 model was full of cheap plastic and haphazardly built.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-13 at 09:58 AM.