Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry America's top-selling car is in danger of losing its title

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 09:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I actually really like the new Camry's exterior. It looks pretty cool in black. I'd love to get a black SE and slam it on some nice 19"s.

Even a Pontiac Aztek looks cool in black. It's the nature of the color. It hides ugliness.

I would never buy a camry because here in LA, mostly asian moms drive it, and they are among the worst drivers here. You don't want people to automatically assume you are a bad driver.
Old 07-21-13, 10:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
[New Camry] looks nice yes, but the actual look and feel of the materials up close just doesn't convey through the photos.
agreed.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The Camry is a solid car but is just really bland in this segment where the best looking car is arguably a Kia of all things!
QFT nailed it oh and agree the fusion's a cool car too, and nice and quiet / and really tightly put together.

Originally Posted by pman6
I would never buy a camry because here in LA, mostly asian moms drive it, and they are among the worst drivers here. You don't want people to automatically assume you are a bad driver.
now that right there might be non-PC, but it's funny.
Old 07-21-13, 10:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Camry is a solid car but is just really bland in this segment where the best looking car is arguably a Kia of all things!
Call me the minority, but I don't find anything attractive about the Optima or any of it's stablemates. Great feature content, good numbers on paper, alluring price and warranty, but looks - no thanks no way. Mazda6 and Fusion get the nod far and ahead of anything else in its segment IMO.
Old 07-21-13, 10:44 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can thank whoever designed the 2IS for the Optima's looks, since it's a blantant rip-off of that car. And even then, it doesn't drive as the looks suggest. The Camry handles better and is a smoother car.
Old 07-22-13, 03:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Comparing a car's generations is certainly relative to the period so while the Camry was more ahead of the competition in 1992, I hope people wouldn't say that a 1992 Camry is a better car than a 2012/13 regardless of era.

A '92-'96 has a far cheaper interior with what is now considered crappy plastic. Really nice in 1992, really cheap looking now. And as for the rest of the car, there's always talk about the '92-'96 's legendary quality/reliability. The fact is, is that today's car will last longer and do it with less needed maintenance and repairs.

I don't understand how people could say that this ^ is a crappy interior. I think it's fantastic.
Comparing these two photos is nonsense. Your photos are comparing a used 1992-1996 Camry taken by an amateur with a
point and shoot camera, or possibly a cell phone camera, while the other is a brand new Camry in a studio taken by professional
photographers using tens of thousands of dollars in professional equipment.
I remember working for Toyota back then and those cars, especially the XLE V6, were very much Lexus-like. They reeked of quality.
Better than many Lexus's built today.

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-22-13 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

oh and agree the fusion's a cool car too, and nice and quiet / and really tightly put together.

No arguments there. The new Fusion, in some ways, beats even its Lincoln MKZ twin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 09:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Call me the minority, but I don't find anything attractive about the Optima or any of it's stablemates. Great feature content, good numbers on paper, alluring price and warranty, but looks - no thanks no way. Mazda6 and Fusion get the nod far and ahead of anything else in its segment IMO.
I dont know about Fusion, but Mazda does the cars very well on the paper... I was disappointed a bit in CX5 interior since some materials were way off normal quality, like arm-rests for instance, were really terrible "leather".

I guess in this midsize class, in reality you got to pretend a bit.
Old 07-22-13, 09:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Comparing these two photos is nonsense. Your photos are comparing a used 1992-1996 Camry taken by an amateur with a
point and shoot camera, or possibly a cell phone camera, while the other is a brand new Camry in a studio taken by professional
photographers using tens of thousands of dollars in professional equipment.
I remember working for Toyota back then and those cars, especially the XLE V6, were very much Lexus-like. They reeked of quality.
Better than many Lexus's built today.
That was the highest quality photo I could find believe it or not. I searched for studio shots of the '92 Camry without success. If you find one, please post it.

My opinion isn't based on the photos. Just look at all the materials, assembly, ect. Far superior in the current car with only a couple of exceptions (such as the carpet).

Look at all the cheap black plastic in the old car. All that soft touch tan material is just foam padded vinyl. Not saying it wasn't extremely well built but don't tell me the materials, fit and finish, ect. is better.

I used to think my '93 Lexus SC400 was the most reliable built like a tank car ever. Then I bought an '07 Yaris filled with cheap materials. Guess what, my Yaris is far more reliable than the '93 SC400.
A very different comparison of course but I figured I'd share that fact.
Old 07-22-13, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For me, this is strictly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't particularly care for the new Camry, but I'd take one in a heartbeat over a 92-96 for a WIDE variety of reasons.
Old 07-22-13, 10:05 AM
LexFather

I don't understand these time period arguments. The 92-96 Camry didn't have close to the competition it had today, the Taurus basically, the Accord didn't even have an V-6 and everything else probably doesn't run today .

Today, that segment is out of control hot. The Camry isn't getting pinched by just one or two cars, its the entire segment and also dealing with people moving to SUVs. Everyone pretty much has their **** together in this segment and Toyota being still rather conservative might keep loyal buyers but I think many like what they see from the other offerings.

One thing to remember about Accord sales, they include coupes.

One other thing. Let us not forget the 92-96 Camry shared with the ES for the first time with both in development (ES 250 was a rebadge) and Lexus clearly wanted to make a big bang/impression and the Camry benefitted huge during that generation.

Old 07-22-13, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I don't particularly care for the new Camry, but I'd take one in a heartbeat over a 92-96 for a WIDE variety of reasons.
If you like sharp handling, a stiffer ride, and more chrome/wood-tone in the interior, I'd agree with you. Otherwise, it's hard to beat that 3Gen Camry.
Old 07-22-13, 10:23 AM
05Mdriver
Driver School Candidate

I drove a camry from phila to pittsburg (5 hours or so) and it wasnt terrible.. excellent on gas and had room for 4 people.

It would use a little more of a sporty feel though..
Old 07-22-13, 11:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Today, that segment is out of control hot.

^^^ THIS!

Now, mind you, if the Camry loses it's spot, it only will make it better for the consumer. Maybe not for ToMoCo ( ), but surely better for the consumer.

The market dictates demand. If the Camry does not provide what the market wants, it will lose it's title as America's top selling car.

What does the market demand? For example, the CRV with it's 4-banger outsold the Rav4 (including it's defunct V6 variant) for the past several years; if fact, it's the best selling crossover/SUV on the market besting all other make and model in every drivetrain and powertrain variable. The CRV does so with better quality materials, precise engineering, fuel efficiency, cost effectiveness, space/cargo efficiency, balance, comfort, durability, and ease of maintenance; all the while negating sportiness and "excitement". The Camry needs to go back to such roots.
Old 07-22-13, 11:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you like sharp handling, a stiffer ride, and more chrome/wood-tone in the interior, I'd agree with you. Otherwise, it's hard to beat that 3Gen Camry.
I also like the fuel efficiency and performance of the 3.5 V6 (same with the 4 cyl), 6 speed transmission, modern electronics, connectivity, navigation, lighting. etc.

The third gen was great in it's day though.
Old 07-22-13, 01:27 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to remember about Accord sales, they include coupes.
That is a good point, Mike. However, there is another element involved here that most don't think about. Camy's fleet sales tower over the Accord. The Accord is virtually "fleet free", with very few sales in that segment. When fleet sales are removed from the equation and the end consume votes with their own personal dollar, the Accord comes out ahead in many of the last ten years. This is not putting down Camry in any way, they are both great cars.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry America's top-selling car is in danger of losing its title