Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT's "The big test" of IS350/335i/S4/S60/ATS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, the Q60, from what I can tell, is destined to be a G-sized coupe version of the Q50. Otherwise, I agree with you....I was partly wrong, and you were correct in pointing out that the Q50 will not be the large flagship Infiniti needs. But that seems to be because Infiniti might have changed their story. What they originally said (and I believed) about the new Q-series sedan was that it was supposed to be their new flagship (presumably above the M-series). That, as you point out, is not going to be the case. (and thanks for pointing that out).
well they plan to use Q and QX for everything now, so presumably a flagship will be a Q70 or something.
Old 07-17-13, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well they plan to use Q and QX for everything now, so presumably a flagship will be a Q70 or something.
Q70 is the M. So presumably Q80 for a flagship
Old 07-17-13, 10:25 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
That's right, insult my ability to drive.

At best, you're a joker. At worst, you're a troll. I'm putting you on permanent ignore list and would encourage everyone else here to do the same.
I'm sorry you are taking things personally. Your observations defied logic or common sense. I wasn't being sarchastic. I was being serious. You saying the 335i felt too heavy is the equivalent of someone saying the CTS-V just feels to sluggish for a sedan.
Old 07-17-13, 11:03 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

At the end of the day, you buy what you like more, regardless what the car magazines say, and you enjoy what you bought, regardless what your neighbors and your friends say. I personally love to drive my $25k GTI more than my $4?k IS350, but so what? My parents have the opposite feelings. I don't think any car can do the best in every category, each has their forte and their weaknesses. To me the current 3-series is a very very ugly car so no matter how well it drives, I wouldn't spend my own money on one, so who cares what their slalom or whatever manifest? Also, I don't think we could judge or predict how the 3rd generation IS performs based on our experience from the 2nd gen, since it has changed drastically, so I recommend those who criticize the 3rd gen to go to a Lexus dealer and have a test drive first. I probably would do the same.
Old 07-17-13, 01:07 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, the Q60, from what I can tell, is destined to be a G-sized coupe version of the Q50. Otherwise, I agree with you....I was partly wrong, and you were correct in pointing out that the Q50 will not be the large flagship Infiniti needs. But that seems to be because Infiniti might have changed their story. What they originally said (and I believed) about the new Q-series sedan was that it was supposed to be their new flagship (presumably above the M-series). That, as you point out, is not going to be the case. (and thanks for pointing that out).
If that's the cases can only assume Infiniti plans on changing the M to the Q70. Every Infiniti sedan will have the "Q" nomenclature and then a series of numbers and every Infiniti SUV will have the "QX" nomenclature followed by a series of numbers.
Old 07-17-13, 01:16 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

2014 Model Name Previous Model Name
Infiniti Q70 Infiniti M
Infiniti Q60 Coupe Infiniti G Coupe
Infiniti Q60 Convertible Infiniti G Convertible
Q60 IPL Coupe IPL G Coupe
Q60 IPL Convertible IPL G Convertible
Infiniti Q50 All-new vehicle
Infiniti QX80 Infiniti QX
Infiniti QX70 Infiniti FX
Infiniti QX60 Infiniti JX
Infiniti QX50 Infiniti EX

All 2014 Infiniti models are out this month except Q50 in August and Q70 (current M) in December.
Old 07-17-13, 01:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
If that's the cases can only assume Infiniti plans on changing the M to the Q70. Every Infiniti sedan will have the "Q" nomenclature and then a series of numbers and every Infiniti SUV will have the "QX" nomenclature followed by a series of numbers.
Well that is what we said in the above posts. But just for everyone's reminder

Old 07-17-13, 04:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
At the end of the day, you buy what you like more, regardless what the car magazines say, and you enjoy what you bought, regardless what your neighbors and your friends say. I personally love to drive my $25k GTI more than my $4?k IS350, but so what? My parents have the opposite feelings. I don't think any car can do the best in every category, each has their forte and their weaknesses. To me the current 3-series is a very very ugly car so no matter how well it drives, I wouldn't spend my own money on one, so who cares what their slalom or whatever manifest? Also, I don't think we could judge or predict how the 3rd generation IS performs based on our experience from the 2nd gen, since it has changed drastically, so I recommend those who criticize the 3rd gen to go to a Lexus dealer and have a test drive first. I probably would do the same.
I'm guessing you already had a G35 coupe. I can't get rid of mine...its too much fun to drive I've test driven quite a bit but nothing in the last couple years have been worth upgrading. I'm thinking the new IS350 may change my mind. What made you change to an IS350...just wondering. I test drove a couple but the steering wasn't quite to my liking. I liked the last gen 335 but i have two friends that have had it and BOTH got lemoned
Old 07-17-13, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
I'm sorry you are taking things personally. Your observations defied logic or common sense. I wasn't being sarchastic. I was being serious. You saying the 335i felt too heavy is the equivalent of someone saying the CTS-V just feels to sluggish for a sedan.
actually C&D in comparo mentions how 335i felt heavy on the road.
Old 07-17-13, 05:06 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
You are incorrect. In the C&D compare article, it was referred to as "too light."
Old 07-18-13, 04:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Originally Posted by jbayse99
You are incorrect. In the C&D compare article, it was referred to as "too light."
Are you sure you guys aren't talking about two different things? Heavy/light steering weight and heavy/light road feel are two, very different things.
Old 07-18-13, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK...that explains some things. I wasn't aware (until you guys brought it up) that Infiniti was going to slap the Q label on all of their sedans. That, granted, will simplify some things, but maybe cause confusion in others.