Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your list: The 5 BEST and 5 WORST Toyota products in history

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 07:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

5 Best

1) Toyota Supra Turbo last gen by far, love everything about that car, still plan on getting one, I get goosebumps every time I see one on the road. Legendary car.

2)1st Gen Lexus SC400, great design inside and out, much better then the second gen convertible

3)Toyota 2000GT, it was in a Bond movie, enough said.

4)Lexus GS400/430 second gen.

5)Second Gen IS350 but the rear seat/leg room is inexcusable in size, maybe the newer IS, have not got a good look at it in person but I think I am going to like it inside and out.

Celica All Trac a close runner up.

5 Worst

1) Toyota Echo by far, what a horrible car, I had to rent one and there was not a single thing I liked, felt really cheaply built and it was just depressing driving it. I could not wait to get back to my trouble prone Mitsu Eclipse after driving the Echo for a few days.

2)Toyota Corolla, all models, just a really boring car and lackluster design but it sells like hotcakes

3)Have not liked most generations of Camry's, boring cars but they sell and are what many buyers want.

4)Did not really care for the first gen Lexus GS inside or out but liked it more then ES's, did not like the first gen ES at all.

5)RAV4 or first gen Toyota Sequoia do nothing for me but the RAV4 has been a great seller.
Old 11-04-14, 09:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, these were pretty damn ugly and rusted like crazy. Forgot exactly what they were called/marketed as, the Tercel All-trac? Corolla Tercel wagon???

Old 11-04-14, 09:27 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USDM

Best:
Lexus LS400
Toyota 2000GT
Toyota Celica All-Trac
2nd Lexus GS400
All Gen Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX

Worst:
Toyota Echo
Scion tC 2nd Gen
Scion xD
2nd Lexus IS250
Toyota Tercel
Old 11-05-14, 07:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
BEST
1. Prius
2. Supra, 4th gen
3. 2000GT
4. AE86
5. 86/FR-S... Only because they did it when no other auto makers did.

WORST
1. HS250
2. Echo
3. Solara
4. Last gen xB/xD.
5. (Can't think of any...)
You can plug the Previa in slot #5.
Old 11-05-14, 07:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
5 Best

1) Toyota Supra Turbo last gen by far, love everything about that car, still plan on getting one, I get goosebumps every time I see one on the road. Legendary car.

2)1st Gen Lexus SC400, great design inside and out, much better then the second gen convertible

3)Toyota 2000GT, it was in a Bond movie, enough said.

4)Lexus GS400/430 second gen.

5)Second Gen IS350 but the rear seat/leg room is inexcusable in size, maybe the newer IS, have not got a good look at it in person but I think I am going to like it inside and out.

Celica All Trac a close runner up.

5 Worst

1) Toyota Echo by far, what a horrible car, I had to rent one and there was not a single thing I liked, felt really cheaply built and it was just depressing driving it. I could not wait to get back to my trouble prone Mitsu Eclipse after driving the Echo for a few days.

2)Toyota Corolla, all models, just a really boring car and lackluster design but it sells like hotcakes

3)Have not liked most generations of Camry's, boring cars but they sell and are what many buyers want.

4)Did not really care for the first gen Lexus GS inside or out but liked it more then ES's, did not like the first gen ES at all.

5)RAV4 or first gen Toyota Sequoia do nothing for me but the RAV4 has been a great seller.
All Corollas and all Camrys on the 5 worst list?

Last edited by tex2670; 11-05-14 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 08:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
All Corollas and all Camrys on the 5 worst list?

Remember, this thread is about your best and worst product. While the Corolla is a reliable transportation, the drive bores the heck out of me so I would place it in my worst category. I like my cars to be more than just bare minimums, so you won't see the Corolla on my list of favorite Toyotas.
Old 11-05-14, 10:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Remember, this thread is about your best and worst product. While the Corolla is a reliable transportation, the drive bores the heck out of me so I would place it in my worst category. I like my cars to be more than just bare minimums, so you won't see the Corolla on my list of favorite Toyotas.
Ok--well maybe I took the title of the thread too literally. 5 Best/Worst is way different than 5 Favorite / Least Favorite.
Old 11-05-14, 11:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't blame you. The post itself says: "Which ones are your favorites, and favorite to hate?" It's subjective anyways.

Anyways, my top 5 in no particular order:

1. Lexus GS (2nd gen)
2. Lexus LS430
3. Toyota Supra
4. Lexus IS-F
5. Toyota MR-2 (2nd Gen)

Least Favorite:

1. Toyota Corolla (any of them)
2. Toyota Echo
3. Toyota Tercel
4. Toyota Paseo
5. Toyota Yaris

As you can tell, I'm not fond of Toyota's small cars
Old 11-05-14, 05:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow I'm amazed at how many people have owned 10 or more different Toyota products.

I've only owned two and my wife one. I would put all three in the "Best" category -

Corolla
Celica
LS 460
Old 11-06-14, 09:48 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My favourite Toyotas:
1. 1987 (Gen5) Corolla - They say you remember fondly your first car and your first girlfriend... This was my first car.

Other favourites, in no particular order:

1984 (Gen1) Camry - Our first Camry and the first Toyota in the family. Wow! What luxury and refinement compared to the VW Squareback, Plymouth Volare and Honda Civic Wagon we had up to that point. But that power steering was over-boosted so it tended to wander a bit on the highway.

1995 (Gen3) Camry - My second car and my first Camry.

1998 (Gen4) Camry - My second Camry.

2002 (Gen5) Camry - My third Camry. I did not treat this car with the utmost respect as I went through a rough patch but it never failed me, much like the loyal dog or cat that is always by your side. It was also our bridal car.

2007 (Gen6) Camry - My fourth Camry. We brought our son home in this car. The interior did not bother me (unlike many critics here) but it did drive big and heavy.

2010 (Gen10) Corolla - It was such a good car (despite...) that I bought it at lease-end while waiting for the new 2015 Camry.

2015 (Gen6) ES 300h - My first hybrid and my first Lexus. I could not wait for the 2015 Camry Hybrid. Brand new still...

My least favourite, in no particular order:

2012 to 2014 (Gen7) Camry - I have only test-driven it but am not particularly fond of it because of the low-rent interior, particularly the dashboard, the seat fabric (say what you will about the mouse-fur/velour seat coverings of previous-gen Camrys and Corollas, but it looked better than this) and the non-adjustable rear headrests (ever try to install a child seat with top tether in a seat with non-adjustable headrests?).

2014 to present (Gen11) Corolla - I have not driven it but... Sure, it looks good and comes with flashy features but cost-cutting is obvious not far beneath the surface. The centre console box material feels cheap and even cheaper than my Gen10 Corolla, and the rear seat headrests are not adjustable/removable. There is also no underhood engine insulation pad so is it noisier than the Gen10 Corolla (which was quite refined and quiet for a compact economy car)?

2009 to 2013 (Gen10) Corolla - Despite my likes (the engine and drivetrain, despite the 4-speed automatic transmission), the cost-cutting became obvious. I did not mind that much the hard plastic interior, but the torsion-beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes scream cost-cutting when competitors can offer better.

Toyotas in North America are starting to hide their cost-cutting better with the introduction of better dashboards and flashy features but still obvious not far under the surface. The engines, though, are top-notch in my book, offering a very good balance of refinement, power and economy.
Old 11-06-14, 12:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
MOST IMPORTANT LEXUS OR TOYOTA EVER MADE:

Any generation of the Toyota Prius.
agreed, groundbreaking....and STILL a class leader 14+ years later.
Old 11-06-14, 03:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
agreed, groundbreaking....and STILL a class leader 14+ years later.
And I'd never be caught dead behind the wheel of one.

The powertrain and packaging of the prius is pretty innovative. The rest of the car is a noisy, cheaply built piece of ugly dog doo.