Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series

Old 09-08-16, 09:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh the steering feel, when I drove my 328is and 540i, and even the 2003 530i, can not be expressed in words.

but those cars let me keep driving and driving, and having more confidence that the later BMWs.
Old 09-08-16, 11:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Avid BMW guy here. Personally, I think BMW is playing it too safe as a brand lately. The current 5 is a handsome car and this new one will be too, but it will be very evolutionary inside and out. That can all be tolerated if it were head's and shoulders above the competition in the driving experience. Yet, since the days of the E60, E90, E70, etc. BMWs have become softer and more numb. Their powertrains are still the best in the business, but that connection with the road isn't even near what it used to be. Only some of the ///M cars are still good. Your average 320 BMW drives like a Toyota.

BMW is designing cars to be #1 in sales instead of being true to their heritage. I hope this approach bites them in the a$$ one day.
I really don't think their powertrains are best in the business at all. I'd say Audi and Mercedes have BMW covered or are at par, depending on which type of powerplant we're discussing. The N63 V8 was a failure and even the N63tu model has plenty of turbo lag that's quite annoying. One of the big reasons I'm not an X5 50i owner.

In my opinion the post-facelift E65 is one of the most handsome sedans ever. It had a real presence and charisma that was missing in the F01 and is missing in the newest 7-series as well. Instead of looking like a distinct 7-series, the F01 and G11 just look like "big BMWs." Sales of the newest 7er have been slow and reports are saying that internal sources are pitting the blame on conservative styling inside and out. It's a nice car just like the A8, and with the right options catches the eye. But the Audi and Bimmer are missing that "it" factor that the latest S-class has.

BMW management has really gone to h3ll since the E89 Z4 was released. Every subsequent new model has been a "better" car overall with more technology and luxury features, but are they better BMWs? Not in a million years!
I agree the post-facelift E65 was really pretty. It had the gravitas and presence becoming of a car that class.
Old 10-03-16, 07:01 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New BMW M5 Arriving In Late 2017 With Over 600HP And All-Wheel Drive

The next iteration of BMW’s super saloon will represent a major turning point, as the new M5 is reportedly going to power all of its wheels instead just the rear axle, though it's believed that a RWD version will still be on offer.

Rumors of BMW M’s decision to give the next M5 an all-wheel drive system have been around for quite some time, but now it’s the first time we get to hear it from a BMW official.

BMW M boss Frank van Meel, who previously worked at Audi, told Auto Express that “the M5 has to drive like an M5 does today, but with better traction as well.” Blame the never-ending power war within the segment but in order for the new M5 to get more than 600hp safely on the road, an all-wheel drive system was deemed necessary.

But this doesn’t mean that the all-wheel drive BMW M5 will be less of an exciting car. “We don’t want to ruin the balance. An M car must have agility, precision, and dynamics”, said van Meel. “These are cars designed for the track.”

The BMW M boss has said in the past that despite opting for an all-wheel drive system, the new M5 will always behave like a rear-wheel drive car. That means that they will probably go for a trick rear-biased system that can shift torque to the front when necessary.

Van Meel has previously spoken about the new M5's all-wheel drive system, saying “It wouldn’t be branded as xDrive. We have to be sensitive about equity built up with rear-wheel drive.”

Let’s not forget that one of its biggest rivals, the new Mercedes-AMG E63 is also getting an AWD system and according to the latest reports, it will have a dedicated drift mode, during which the car will send all of its power to the rear axle alone.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/new...2017-with.html

Old 10-03-16, 07:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Kill it with fire. Anything AWD from BMW is too pedestrian and not fun to drive.
Old 10-04-16, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

awd for the win! only way to get decent traction with gobs of power. otherwise it ends up driving like a stupid and dangerous dodge viper.
Old 10-04-16, 07:11 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Kill it with fire. Anything AWD from BMW is too pedestrian and not fun to drive.
An AWD M5 isn't a bad idea as long as the RWD is still available. The practicality offsets the drawbacks.

Also, have you ever driven an AWD BMW? That's quite the blanket statement to make, and is 100% inaccurate.
Old 10-04-16, 07:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awd for the win! only way to get decent traction with gobs of power. otherwise it ends up driving like a stupid and dangerous dodge viper.
Tell that to the LFA engineers.
Old 10-04-16, 07:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

An AWD M5 isn't a bad idea as long as the RWD is still available. The practicality offsets the drawbacks.

Also, have you ever driven an AWD BMW? That's quite the blanket statement to make, and is 100% inaccurate.
Yes, I have two AWD BMWs and one RWD. Guess which one is my favorite?
Old 10-04-16, 07:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Viper actually became a lot more docile and accessible (outside of ACR form) as time went on and it got more powerful. In any event sports cars handle RWD + lots of power better than a hopped up sedan, so I'm OK with the AWD addition.

Originally Posted by Och
Tell that to the LFA engineers.
The LFA had a measly 354 lb ft of torque. Totally different story.
Old 10-04-16, 08:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Unfortunately this segment now requires AWD to get the crazy spec #s of a low to mid 3sec 0-60mph time.

My M3 with Michelin Pilot SuperSports can spin for days if you bash the throttle - the M5 with loads more power has even greater traction issues.
Old 10-04-16, 08:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The Viper actually became a lot more docile and accessible (outside of ACR form) as time went on and it got more powerful. In any event sports cars handle RWD + lots of power better than a hopped up sedan, so I'm OK with the AWD addition.

The LFA had a measly 354 lb ft of torque. Totally different story.
Whats the point of all that power and torque if the car can't even wiggle its ***. Those who want a straight line torque beast can just opt for an AMG Mercedes. BMW's M cars were always about balance and dynamics, but now they don't even feel special.
Old 10-04-16, 08:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Whats the point of all that power and torque if the car can't even wiggle its ***. Those who want a straight line torque beast can just opt for an AMG Mercedes. BMW's M cars were always about balance and dynamics, but now they don't even feel special.
AMG's sports cars and smaller sedans especially actually corner quite well, so that's a little outdated. In any event consumers are asking for ever-lower specs and the security of AWD, so manufacturers are delivering. The market has changed in mid-size and larger segments.

The real question is whether the next M3 will be AWD. Audi will obviously field a AWD variant but Benz stayed with RWD.
Old 10-04-16, 08:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
AMG's sports cars and smaller sedans especially actually corner quite well, so that's a little outdated. In any event consumers are asking for ever-lower specs and the security of AWD, so manufacturers are delivering. The market has changed in mid-size and larger segments.

The real question is whether the next M3 will be AWD. Audi will obviously field a AWD variant but Benz stayed with RWD.
Oh I have no doubt that they corner well, and they will only get better and better as intelligent torque vectoring AWD systems become more sophisticated. Nissan has started this trend with the GTR which handles incredibly but frowned upon by enthusiasts for not having involving driving dynamics.
Old 10-10-16, 05:21 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Previews 5-Series Remote 3D View Before October 13 Reveal

The latest in a long line of BMW 5-Seriesteasers has been released with this one confirming an October 13 reveal date for the new luxury sedan.

This particular teaser video provides a glimpse at the model's advanced Remote 3D View feature. The system will allow the owner of the vehicle to view a virtual depiction of their car and its surroundings from the BMW Connected App, helping to give weary owners peace of mind that their car is safe (or isn't) at all times.

Although we don't get a proper look at the new 5-Series in the teaser video, big changes are expected from both a styling and technology perspective.

In terms of its exterior design, the G30 5-Series will take some inspiration from the larger 7-Series, particularly through its all-new headlights and LED taillights. In the cabin, the model will come with a partially digital instrument cluster as well as a large standalone infotainment screen above the center console.

Beneath the skin, the underpinnings for the 2017 5-Series will also be new and be shared with the 7-Series, meaning a mix of aluminum, carbon fiber, magnesium and high-strength steel will be used in the car's construction. Consequently, it should drop around 100 kg (220 lbs) over the outgoing model.

Power will be provided by a series of engines that include a 2.0-liter turbo'd four-cylinder, 3.0-liter straight-six diesel and petrol units, a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 and a 2.0-liter turbo four joined by an electric motor for a plug-in hybrid variation.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/bmw...e-3d-view.html
Old 10-10-16, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^ so you'll be able to remotely watch that door ding happen in the mall parking lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series