Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like the 5-Series is getting more extreme on both ends
Old 01-20-15, 01:27 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next-Gen BMW 5-Series Gets In Shape, Loses 100kg or 220lbs

Thanks to a new lightweight platform made from a combination of high-strength-steel, carbonfiber, aluminum and magnesium, the new BMW 5 Series is expected to shed around 100kg or 220lbs.

The reduced mass will not only help improve the executive saloon's fuel-economy numbers and green credentials, but also handling and performance, which is a much welcome development after the current F10.

While heavily camouflaged, the prototype subtly hints at an evolutionary design approach with styling cues to be taken from the bigger 7-Series that will be revealed first, and which we've already had the opportunity to see undisguised. Overall, the new 5er looks like it will have a sleeker appearance with a flatter rear window and a sexier rear end than today's model.

It will be packed with high-tech features and gadgets, highlighted by the latest connectivity systems that will allow the driver, among other things, to control various functions via apps on the go, and a radar-based semi-autonomous intelligent driving system dubbed ConnectedDrive Connect (CDC).

BMW's newest turbocharged, inline four- and six-cylinder diesel and petrol engines, together with a new V8 twin-turbo petrol for the 550i, will beat under the hood of the regular 5-Series models, with the Bavarians to offer a 6sp manual gearbox on certain powertrains, and an automatic, possibly a newer version with 9-speeds on the rest. All-wheel drive will be available once again.

For the eco-minded, there will be a frugal plug-in hybrid model that is believed to utilize the same 241hp (245PS) 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline-four paired to a 94hp (95PS) electric motor and a lithium-ion battery featured in the production-intent X5 eDrive study.

On the other side of the spectrum, the successor to the M5 will get an uprated version of the current 4.4-liter V8 turbo edging closer to the 600-horsepower mark. BMW officials have hinted at the possibility of offering a rear-biased all-wheel drive version along with the traditional rear-wheel drive model.

Known under the internal codename G30, the sixth generation of BMW’s luxury mid-size sedan is now expected to arrive in late summer 2016, possibly enjoying its world premiere at the following Paris Motor Show. North America may have to wait until 2017 to get the next 5.

The saloon will be joined by the Touring (estate) and a long-wheelbase version for the Chinese market, which will likely form the base for the next GT body style.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/nex...-in-shape.html
Old 01-20-15, 02:18 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Reportedly the interior is going to be even more tame than the G11 7-series. Which means it will likely be a very, very sedate interior.
Old 01-20-15, 02:24 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i stopped liking the 5 series after the E60. the current F10 IMO looks really bland and boring.
Old 03-10-15, 07:18 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 BMW 5-Series prototypes spied hiding production body [video]

7-Series also spotted

Our spies have sent us a video with a fleet of 2017 BMW 5-Series prototypes conducting winter testing.

The cars were wearing a production body judging by the new door handles, front air vents and most importantly by the new layout of the A pillar. Also noticeable is a horizontal character line running over the doors while the rear window appears to be flatter. Infiltrated among the 5-Series prototypes is a camouflaged next-gen 7-Series recognizable not only by its larger proportions but also by the bigger exhaust tips and the more exposed production-ready taillights.

Both cars are bound to ride on the new 35up platform and in the case of the 5-Series this should enable a massive 100 kg (220 lbs) weight loss as a result of making extensive use of lightweight materials including aluminum and carbon fiber. Reports say the significant weight loss could allow BMW's engineers to install a three-cylinder engine sourced from the 2-Series Active Tourer and Gran Tourer brothers although it's hard to believe there's going to be a three-cylinder "5" acting as the entry-level model.

A plug-in hybrid version has already been spied while a quad turbo M550xd is apparently in the pipeline. The range will once again be topped by the M5 which will allegedly offer around 626 HP (460 kW) and will likely be sold with an optional all-wheel drive layout.

The BMW 5-Series Sedan will reportedly go on sale in June 2016 and will be followed by the 5-Series Touring in November of the same year. The much criticized 5-Series Gran Turismo will be back because Chinese love it.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503109...ing-production
Old 03-11-15, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

zzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-11-15, 12:04 PM
Hoovey689

The range will once again be topped by the M5 which will allegedly offer around 626 HP
A pleasant and refined vehicle I'm sure, but seems somewhat tame to the 640hp CTS-V and 707hp Charger Hellcat now. Of course if 626 is base, then there could be a competition package with a few more ponies
Old 03-12-15, 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A pleasant and refined vehicle I'm sure, but seems somewhat tame to the 640hp CTS-V and 707hp Charger Hellcat now. Of course if 626 is base, then there could be a competition package with a few more ponies
no one could reasonably describe 626HP as 'tame'. and while the cts-v may be theoretically a competitor, i doubt it steals many m5 sales, and i'm sure the hellcat doesn't even if it had 1000hp. it's more of a dukes of hazard thing.
Old 03-12-15, 08:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Plus BMW always publishes underrated HP figures. I'd imagine this thing will make around 650 HP, which puts it right over the CTS-V, you know, for bragging rights lol.
Old 03-12-15, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no one could reasonably describe 626HP as 'tame'. and while the cts-v may be theoretically a competitor, i doubt it steals many m5 sales, and i'm sure the hellcat doesn't even if it had 1000hp. it's more of a dukes of hazard thing.
It's not going to feel like that. I mean from a marketing stand point. The Germans letting American makes having more hp? Das ist verrückt!

Old 03-12-15, 05:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's not going to feel like that. I mean from a marketing stand point. The Germans letting American makes having more hp? Das ist verrückt!

fixed that for you....
Old 03-13-15, 03:50 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

I love BMW, but good Lord that is a huge car.

Bigger than the e39.

Too bad BMW has no interest building a small 4 door sedan thats RWD. I mean, its not like thats what gave them their market niche and what they specialized in since the 60s.
Old 03-13-15, 06:18 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Gatriel
I love BMW, but good Lord that is a huge car.

Bigger than the e39.

Too bad BMW has no interest building a small 4 door sedan thats RWD. I mean, its not like thats what gave them their market niche and what they specialized in since the 60s.
They do It's called the 3' series. The F30 is the size of the E39 and the F10 is the size of the E38.

The 5 series is no longer a midsize car, its an executive sedan. BMW has no plans on changing what their doing satisfy a few guys on the internet, their job is to sell cars and they have been doing a great job.
Old 03-13-15, 06:33 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by doge
They do It's called the 3' series. The F30 is the size of the E39 and the F10 is the size of the E38.

The 5 series is no longer a midsize car, its an executive sedan. BMW has no plans on changing what their doing satisfy a few guys on the internet, their job is to sell cars and they have been doing a great job.
The 3 series is the same size as the 5 series from a decade ago.

Wanting a smaller 4 door RWD sedan from BMW shouldn't be too much to ask. I mean, look at the new 2er -- it can be bought as a coupe or a convertible.

You can get the 4er as a Gran Coupe, as well as the 6er, but not the 2er.

I get they are scared to death of cannibalizing the 3er with a 2erGC -- but make it the same price and give us "few guys on the internet" the option of buying the car we want. Seems like they are just giving sales away to Mercedes and Lexus right now -- for no other reason than fear of product cannibalization.
Old 03-13-15, 07:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The 3 series is the same size as the 5 series from a decade ago.
You just said the same doge did..he just used chassis codes.

Wanting a smaller 4 door RWD sedan from BMW shouldn't be too much to ask. I mean, look at the new 2er -- it can be bought as a coupe or a convertible.

You can get the 4er as a Gran Coupe, as well as the 6er, but not the 2er.

I get they are scared to death of cannibalizing the 3er with a 2erGC -- but make it the same price and give us "few guys on the internet" the option of buying the car we want. Seems like they are just giving sales away to Mercedes and Lexus right now -- for no other reason than fear of product cannibalization.
They're not scared of anything. The 1-series sedan is on its way, but it'll be FWD just like the Audi and Mercedes competitors. Gotta keep the profit margin/efficiency standards up. BMW is in the business to make money and its clear they know what product mix will maximize their potential.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series