Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When can we say goodbye to Skip Shift? (one of the worst automobile features ever!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 02:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
When running EPA tests you have to drive the car in its default mode. That's why skip shift is always on. It's the same reason cars with "Eco mode" have to have that setting on as a default if its to be used during the EPA test.
but Eco mode is not used in EPA, and again, why would you have to drive 1-2-3-4-5-6 gears in EPA testing? Only requirement is some minimal acceleration speed you have to respect, which is very slow anyway.
Old 07-10-13, 04:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I've never even heard of this feature. Nothing like an automatic manual transmission.
Old 07-10-13, 04:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
but Eco mode is not used in EPA, and again, why would you have to drive 1-2-3-4-5-6 gears in EPA testing? Only requirement is some minimal acceleration speed you have to respect, which is very slow anyway.
It is if it's the default mode the car boots up in. That's why some automakers get to take advantage of their stop/start systems that automatically turn on when the car does. And actually, there are mandated shift points for manual transmission cars, indicated that you do, in fact, have to upshift gears sequentially.
Old 07-10-13, 05:24 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is if it's the default mode the car boots up in. That's why some automakers get to take advantage of their stop/start systems that automatically turn on when the car does. And actually, there are mandated shift points for manual transmission cars, indicated that you do, in fact, have to upshift gears sequentially.
The testing is based on reaching a certain speed at a certain time. The level of acceleration is absurdly slow.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
Old 07-10-13, 05:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Outrage
The testing is based on reaching a certain speed at a certain time. The level of acceleration is absurdly slow.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
That doesn't take away from the fact that manual transmission cars have designated shift points. Here's a more in depth explanation:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-mpg-estimates
Old 07-10-13, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Toyota has stated multiple times that their cars are tested in Normal mode, not eco mode... thats different than start/stop - which wont save MPG in US due to different tests (A/C is on so it wont turn off, plus a lot less stops than Euro cycle).

Also, manual cars have "shift recommendations", so I dont think these skip shifts influence anything.
Old 07-10-13, 06:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LMAO, first mod to my C5 and C6 --- its super easy to defeat, its called CAGS btw (computer aided gear selection)

about $17.95 to permanently defeat... https://corvetteworldparts.com/corve...ft-bypass.html
Old 07-10-13, 06:05 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't take away from the fact that manual transmission cars have designated shift points. Here's a more in depth explanation:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-mpg-estimates
However, GM’s skip-shift device, found in the Corvette among others, irritates by forcing the driver to shift the manual transmission from first gear to fourth at low speeds and was developed precisely to improve fuel economy on the test cycles. It was approved by the EPA, i.e., not considered cheating.
Oh, hey, look, from the exact article you linked. Did you even read it before telling others they were wrong?
Old 07-10-13, 06:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota has stated multiple times that their cars are tested in Normal mode, not eco mode... thats different than start/stop - which wont save MPG in US due to different tests (A/C is on so it wont turn off, plus a lot less stops than Euro cycle).

Also, manual cars have "shift recommendations", so I dont think these skip shifts influence anything.
Sigh. You're not getting what I'm saying. Some cars automatically boot up in their eco mode. Most don't. If they automatically boot up in that mode, then then it's tested in that mode. That's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Infra
Oh, hey, look, from the exact article you linked. Did you even read it before telling others they were wrong?
Did you even read my posts? I never disagreed and said it wasn't for EPA testing. What I was saying is that Chevrolet (or whomever) can't just tell EPA "shift into 4th from 1st" so they can get better fuel economy results. They can however, force them to do so by having the skip shift feature.

For example, if skip shift were an optional mode, it wouldn't be used during EPA testing. Just like the Eco mode for cars that aren't automatically booted up in that mode, a la Toyota.
Old 07-10-13, 09:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the new SRT Viper has this skip shifting crap****

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...iper-april2013

and obviously this thing pays full amount of US Gas Guzzler Tax.............and yet even with that, it still has that god awful feature

Unbelievable.

Whoever invented this 1-to-4 skip shifting bull**** NEEDS TO DIE!!!

I do have a question though:
Tax or No Tax. A lot of American sports car manufacturers resort to this 'half-assed' technique.........and they say that it helps with reducing emissions and helping fuel economy.

Uh..........excuse me, you buy American sports cars with eight cylinders or more BECAUSE YOU WANT ENJOYMENT.

If you want fuel economy and low emissions, you either get a subcompact or a Prius

Or just take public transportation..........or walk (period).

Here's what dumbfounds me though. How come sports car from say Europe or Asia......do not need to resort to this idiotic shift blocking???

What's difference then? More competent engineers and scientists of these European and Asian car companies? I don't think that could be the reason..........because I believe that American scientists and engineers also are competent and knowledgeable as well.

I mean really. Let's ask ourselves this:

Do Aston Martins have shift blocking? Does a Nissan 370Z have shift blocking? Does the BMW M5 with manual (exclusive to USA market) have shift blocking? Does an Audi TT-RS have shift blocking? Does any Porsche with a manual gearbox have this skip shifting BS?

If the answer to all is none, then why is the reason why only American sports car manufacturers resort to this sort of stupidity............while the Europeans and Asians don't have to.

Another question as well:
Can cars such as the SRT Viper and 7th Gen Corvette continue to be sold in America if there is no skip-shift feature present?

If the answer is yes, then there is NO NEED for Skip Shifting in the first place.

In fact, I'd rather take the hit of lower fuel economy and higher emissions..........as long as I get to pick a manual stick shift sports car that allows to shift in whatever gear I want (without some computer crap to tell me that I can't do so)

That's why it's called a "MANUAL"

And besides, the vehicle would still be legal to own, drive and operate.

But wouldn't that decrease fuel economy and worse the vehicle emissions? Err, hello. You're driving a sports car and yet you talk about fuel economy and vehicle emissions as if it were important to begin with.

Originally Posted by Road and Track
This is a Viper, not a Prius!!!
Old 07-10-13, 10:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

The Viper always had it and it was pretty easy to drive around the skip shift (and they have kits to eliminate it altogether as well). However, when it I first got mine and I shifted from 1st to 4th, with the Viper's gearing, it was terrible and barely moved.
Old 07-10-13, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
The Viper always had it and it was pretty easy to drive around the skip shift (and they have kits to eliminate it altogether as well). However, when it I first got mine and I shifted from 1st to 4th, with the Viper's gearing, it was terrible and barely moved.
I agree the skip-shift can be a PITA, but the Viper has so much torque at low RPMs that it can probably start from rest or accelerate at low speeds, without lugging too much, no matter what gear you are in.
Old 07-10-13, 10:13 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If its not defeatable with a switch there is no way I would buy the car. Im not buying a car that I know from the get go that I will need to modify just to get it to work appropriately
Old 07-10-13, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If its not defeatable with a switch there is no way I would buy the car. Im not buying a car that I know from the get go that I will need to modify just to get it to work appropriately
Just one more reason, IMO, to go with a DSG dual-clutch sport-shift automanual if one is offered on the car you want. You get the acceleration/ gas mileage of a stick (sometimes even better) without the B.S. restrictions like the skip-shift or wearing out your left knee in heavy traffic.
Old 07-10-13, 10:29 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the skip-shift can be a PITA, but the Viper has so much torque at low RPMs that it can probably start from rest or accelerate at low speeds, without lugging too much, no matter what gear you are in.
It was horrible even with the low end torque because it only kicked in when you were going slow in 1st and then when it would go into 4th it felt like it would fall flat on its face. The work around was to either go faster in 1st gear or you could ease it into 2nd gear when it is trying to make you put it in 4th as the rpms drop. Sometimes it would go into 4th and I would immediately take it out of 4th and put it into 2nd.

Quick Reply: When can we say goodbye to Skip Shift? (one of the worst automobile features ever!!!)