Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 03:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^ the only other sedan that was be considered at the time I purchased my 350
Old 12-09-14, 09:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Acura halts sales of TLX sedans with V6 engine

Acura has issued a stop-sale order to its dealers and notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of a potential safety defect with new Acura TLX sedans equipped with a V6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission.

The problem is that transmission components in the TLX might have been damaged during manufacture, according to a technical service bulletin issued by Acura. As a result, the shift indicator could indicate that the transmission is in park when it is not, which could allow the vehicle to roll away. (Learn how a TSB can help you save money and might reveal safety issues with your car.)

An representative from the automaker confirmed the stop-sale order for the Acura TLX and stated that NHTSA has been informed of the problem. He had no further comment other than indicating that a more complete statement will be forthcoming pending NHTSA’s review of the situation. Issuing a stop-sale order and notifying NHTSA are typically the first steps an automaker takes in initiating a recall. (Learn what to do if your car gets recalled.)

The stop-sale order comes just months after Acura TLX models equipped with the new nine-speed transmission went on sale. Four-cylinder versions use a different transmission and are not included in the stop-sale order.

In our test of a TLX V6, we found the push-button shifter to be awkward to use, but we didn’t experience any other problems.
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/acura-h...160000943.html
Old 12-09-14, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I've yet to sample the V6/9AT but the I4/8DCT is sublime
Old 12-09-14, 11:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I imagine this doesn't affect sales too much since most TLX sold are I4s. I'd get the I4 also if I had to choose.
Old 12-16-14, 10:12 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Acura TLX is a pretty nice car but it falls short of true luxury car ride and handling. The conservative styling doesn't help it stand out in a competitive market either.

This Acura TLX video review includes information about its 2.4, 3.5, P-AWS and SH-AWD models, along with their performance, fuel economy, available features, trunk space, backseat room and their competitors.

It has a different name, but Acura’s new TLX looks to resurrect the company’s misfire with the last TL sedan. In this video, Cars.com reviewer Joe Bruzek says it mostly does the job with a variety of engines and powertrains.
Old 01-09-15, 01:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Review

More motor, more gears, more driven wheels

As a replacement for two discontinued models, the Acura TLX is poised to deliver a ton of value to premium sedan shoppers. How? By being versatile, affordable and feature filled. A week’s worth of time in a fully equipped V6 model with all-wheel drive proved as much, but there are a few things that rub me the wrong way.
Luxury Looks

What went wrong? It certainly wasn’t the design of the TLX. The car is stylish inside and out. It’s taken me some time to get used to the beak-like grille, but there’s no doubt that the TLX looks genuinely handsome, as a luxury car should. The fully equipped model I tested featured nice 18-inch wheels, which when combined with the standard LED headlights and taillights help complete the grown-up, premium look.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 3.5 L V6, 290 HP, 267 lb-ft.
  • Transmission: Nine-speed automatic
  • Fuel economy (US): 21 MPG city, 31 MPG highway, 24 MPG observed
  • Fuel economy (CDN): 11.2 L/100 kms city 7.5 L/100 km highway, 10.9 L/100 km observed
  • Price (US): TLX starts at $31,915 after destination charges, $45,620 as tested
  • Price (CDN): TLX starts at $37,164 after destination charges, $49,664 as tested

The interior is just as well designed with a large soft touch dash panel and wood grain accents. However, I feel that the push-button gear selector is a bit gimmicky. Other cars that have moved away from traditional gear levers have at least opened up the area between the passengers for more cargo space. This isn’t the case in the TLX.

Fortunately, there is quite a bit of passenger space in the car. Adults can sit comfortably in the rear seats and the 14.3 cubic feet of cargo room in the trunk is plenty for groceries or luggage.

It’s the small things that tarnish the atmosphere of the Acura’s interior. There are far too many buttons, which make the car a bit intimidating to first time users. That will likely fade with time and familiarity, but the touch-screen interface for the audio system is something that won’t improve. It’s frustrating and unintuitive to have a touchscreen interface with a limited display of audio information and another ****-based interface for the TLX’s navigation and infotainment system.

At least Acura’s ELS premium audio system – standard on V6 all-wheel drive models – sounds rich and premium. Additionally, when you’re not pumping music, the cabin is especially quiet.

Tech Filled

Another positive in the TLX is just how much technology it offers. All models come with some kind of handling enhancement as base models come with Acura’s precision all-wheel steering (P-AWS) system, while fully loaded V6 models can come with “super-handling all-wheel drive” (SH-AWD). As you might already know, Acura’s SH-AWD system uses torque vectoring to send power to wheels not only between the front and rear axles, but side-to-side as well. The new SH-AWD system is lighter and is more eager to send power to the rear wheels than the last generation system.

Beyond the handling technology, the TLX is available with a number of driver assists. As luxury car buyers may want their car to do the thinking for them, the TLX is extraordinarily well equipped in this area. There are the basics like rear-view cameras, parking sensors and blind-spot monitoring, but Acura offers much more than that. A front collision warning system helps you stay focused on the road, while an active lane keeping system keeps you from drifting into another lane on the highway. The lane keeping system is sensitive to the point of being annoying and I eventually disabled it to avoid setting off its alarm.

Adaptive cruise control is also available, and proved to be useful on long highway stints. Other cool features like a remote controlled starter, heated and ventilated seats and rain sensing windshield wipers are available.

Success on the Road

That feel is also accomplished on the road, as the suspension is compliant and soft. With its newly designed four-wheel independent suspension system, I barely noticed road bumps as I drove over them.

Handling is a mixed bag. The steering feel is a little on the vague side, but the all-wheel drive system makes highway on ramps a lot of fun to drive.

The 3.5-liter V6 engine may sound familiar to the Honda faithful, but Acura says it’s unique to the brand. It puts out 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque while feeling lively and rev-happy. It’s a shame then that the nine-speed automatic is less refined than the engine and all-wheel drive setup it’s mated to. There are hitches and pauses between gears, it allows the car to roll while switching from drive to reverse and that ends up making it feel underdeveloped.

There are a few different drive modes that can help make the car feel a bit more engaging. The sport and sport plus mode seemed to lock out higher gears, in order to give a better sense of responsiveness. I found myself reaching for the Eco mode, which settled the transmission into the highest gear possible and resulted in fewer gear changes, making the car feel far more comfortable to drive. Paddle shifters are found behind the steering wheel, but there’s a pretty big disconnect between pulling the paddles and the transmission responding.

In our first test drive of the TLX, we found that the eight-speed dual-clutch unit in the four-cylinder model was superior. But if you want all-wheel drive, you need to get the nine-speed and V6. Hopefully Acura offers the four-cylinder model with all-wheel drive in the future.

Is the value there?

Starting at $31,915 for a base four-cylinder model, the Acura TLX seems like better value than the entry-level Mercedes CLA and Audi A3. It’s bigger than both of those cars and comes better equipped, too. The V6, all-wheel-drive model with the Advance Package rang in at a whopping $45,620. That’s a huge gap between the high and low end of the range, but remember, Acura is replacing two of its old models (the TSX and the TL) with the TLX.

Fuel economy for the V6 all-wheel drive model is rated at 21 MPG city and 31 MPG combined. I managed to nail those numbers consistently, averaging 24 MPG.

The Verdict

The TLX is versatile, well equipped and full of value, but this V6 model just didn’t do it for me. It’s a little on the pricey side and the transmission needs some extra work. For now only consider this model if you need to have an AWD version of it. Otherwise the low cost and superior transmission in the four-cylinder model will prove to be a better purchase.

LOVE IT
Great AWD system
Fuel efficient
Nice styling

LEAVE IT
Unrefined transmission
Unintuitive audio interface
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...-sh-awd-review
Old 01-09-15, 04:45 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw one on the road today finally in white.

Good looking car!
Old 01-10-15, 08:51 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a sliver one last week. Not too bad.
Old 02-19-15, 08:58 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

TLX wins.
Old 02-19-15, 04:14 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i test drive the TLX about 3 weeks ago. i really liked the car. in fact i liked it better then my IS 350 RWD F-sport mainly for the features and the audio system. i didn't spend a lot of time in it but enough to know that if i was looking to a luxury sedan this would be on the top of my list.
i wanted something more sport oriented than both cars so 2 weeks ago i bought a 2014 Cadillac CTS V sport twin turbo. the sticker was 70k but i got it for 18,000 off that price brand new!
at 52,000 it was a real bargain!
the caddy absolutely hauls butt! the torque is amazing from a V6 and unlike the lexus i don't have to full throttle it all the time to get performance out of it.
also i don't have to change modes to get performance. it also stays in 8th gear in the lowest setting tour mode as well as sport and track modes.
as far as features the cadillac is way more equipped and more refined than the IS in every way.
very happy with my decision. my only regret is not driving the IS before i bought it. had i done that i would have picked something with forced induction.
Old 09-07-16, 08:35 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Acura TLX Moves Into 2017 MY With New Colors And A Starting Price Of $31,900 [40 Imag

Click here to view more photos

The 2017 Acura TLX is now on sale at dealerships nationwide in the same configuration as before, but with a slightly increased starting price across the range.

Carrying an MSRP of $31,900, the TLX 2.4L is the most affordable version, followed by the TLX 2.4L equipped with the Technology Package, which will set its future buyers back for $35,950, while the TLX 3.5L, in its five different configurations, ranges between $35,350 and $44,800.

New for the 2017 MY are three shades, dubbed San Marino Red, Lunar Silver Metallic and Modern Steel Metallic, which have been added to the previous color palette. In addition to these, Acura states that the San Marino Red and Fathom Blue Pearl can be combined with an ebony black interior.

Depending on the selected version, a wide array of standard and optional features become available, such as the electrically adjustable, heated and ventilated front seats, keyless entry and go, 7-inch touchscreen display, GPS-linked automatic climate control, premium sound system, navigation system, HD Radio, Pandora and Aha integration, Siri Eyes and USB and HDMI connectivity, among others.

These are joined by the safety and driver assistive technology that includes the AcuraWatch suite, Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation, Blind Spot Information, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Monitor, Forward Collision Warning, Expanded View Driver's Side Mirror and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The engine lineup has remained untouched, with the 2.4-liter still producing 206 horsepower (209 PS) and 182 pound-feet (247 Nm) of torque, mated to an 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox, and the 3.5-liter V6 rated at 290 HP (294 PS) and 267 lb-ft (362 Nm) of torque, connected to a 9-speed transmission.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/07/acu...-with-new.html
Old 09-07-16, 11:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Restyled rims would do this car wonders. The current ones are not luxurious nor sporty.
Old 09-08-16, 07:28 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

I'm surprised they didn't give it the new front end treatment the MDX got. Maybe saving that for a full face lift in 2018.
Old 09-08-16, 01:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
I'm surprised they didn't give it the new front end treatment the MDX got. Maybe saving that for a full face lift in 2018.
Sure to come next year like you mentioned. WIthout the choked-off grille, this car will look really good up front. The featureless rear needs chrome exhaust tips. Also likely to come with the facelift.
Old 10-25-16, 06:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Still no exhaust finishers.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion