Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 10:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

http://acurazine.com/forums/performa...v6-pcd-917797/

Dyno of fwd V6 TSX is pretty impressive. 265.89hp 251.23 torque with a flat power curve. That is less then 9% drivetrain loss if those rated hp figures are correct or the figure is underrated like the V6 Accord. It would like to see what the 4 cyl in dynoed at.
Old 09-19-14, 11:42 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
http://acurazine.com/forums/performa...v6-pcd-917797/

Dyno of fwd V6 TSX is pretty impressive. 265.89hp 251.23 torque with a flat power curve. That is less then 9% drivetrain loss if those rated hp figures are correct or the figure is underrated like the V6 Accord. It would like to see what the 4 cyl in dynoed at.
This probably has something to do with the new transmission.
Old 09-19-14, 12:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

That's STD correction. SAE correction will read a bit lower. Still pretty impressive. It makes more peak torque at the wheel than our Odyssey at the crank.
Old 09-19-14, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
This probably has something to do with the new transmission.
I've yet to sample the 9-Speed Auto, but the 8DCT is a thing of beauty. Curious to see the 4 bangers dyno numbers.
Old 09-25-14, 04:51 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

My 2003 TL-S was the last good Acura sporty sedan they made. There are still tons of them on the road. After you fix the tranny (!?) it's been purring the whole time. I drive other TL's when I take mine in for repairs and the TLs since 2004 just aren't the same. The TLX is all about the engine. We'll see if it drives well and fun and is a "sport sedan." Look at the TL sales figures at http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html -- they are dismal compared to other competitors. I just upgraded to a Lexus ES 350 (love it!) but my 2003 TL-S is still a fun car to drive, well controlled, IMHO.
Old 10-03-14, 10:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Acura hits the luxury sport sedan bull’s-eye with the all-new TLX.
Old 10-04-14, 08:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i absolutely love how this car looks. I think it looks really good in a lighter color, like white or silver
I saw one in white today on the highway. The front looked okay with the jeweled lenses. The rear looked different enough to make it interesting. Overall, it was innocuous but interesting enough to make it sell well. No risks taken. That's for sure.

Footnote: It looks more interesting and expensive than the RLX.
Old 10-09-14, 07:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

After reading lots of pretty positive reviews, Car and Driver seems to be rather unimpressed in their latest review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...4l-test-review

Combined with the schizophrenic dual-screen infotainment system and its anti-intuitive mix of hard and touch-screen controls, it adds up to a package that feels like it’s trying too hard to convince itself that it’s more than an Accord with a thicker, richer layer of frosting. Ultimately, Acura needs to step even further away from Honda by offering products that might compel buyers to shop Acura first and foremost, as it did in the brand’s heyday. If the TLX is the first step in that direction, it’s a baby step.
Old 10-09-14, 08:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Remove the Acura badge and some people might actually like the car (the Acura stigma is strong I tell ya). Sometimes they forget this car was not made to compete against the 3-series, C-class, and IS-series.

it adds up to a package that feels like it’s trying too hard to convince itself that it’s more than an Accord with a thicker, richer layer of frosting. Ultimately, Acura needs to step even further away from Honda by offering products that might compel buyers to shop Acura first and foremost, as it did in the brand’s heyday.
"Trying too hard" followed by "Needs to step even further away" is quite opposite in this case. No surprise when I read these kinds of reviews. What did they honestly expect out of the TLX? A 400hp sports sedan or LS460-type luxury car? Or maybe Prius-like MPG? The Accord 2.4L lacks 20hp behind the TLX. The Accord doesn't come with PAWS. You can't get the 8spd DCT or 9spd Auto either. The optional audio system is leaps and bounds better and so is noise isolation.

If the TLX is the result of Acura "trying too hard" then I say keep on going because it's one of the better cars Acura has put out in over a decade.
Old 10-09-14, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Remove the Acura badge and some people might actually like the car (the Acura stigma is strong I tell ya). Sometimes they forget this car was not made to compete against the 3-series, C-class, and IS-series.

"Trying too hard" followed by "Needs to step even further away" is quite opposite in this case. No surprise when I read these kinds of reviews. What did they honestly expect out of the TLX? A 400hp sports sedan or LS460-type luxury car? Or maybe Prius-like MPG? The Accord 2.4L lacks 20hp behind the TLX. The Accord doesn't come with PAWS. You can't get the 8spd DCT or 9spd Auto either. The optional audio system is leaps and bounds better and so is noise isolation.

If the TLX is the result of Acura "trying too hard" then I say keep on going because it's one of the better cars Acura has put out in over a decade.
Gotta agree with GSteg on this one. I usually think highly of Car & Driver as a magazine, but IMO they did make some inappropriate comments here. The TLX's snappy 8-speed DCT transmission, combined WITH a torque-converter for smoothness, is something not only quite unusual in the auto industry, but something that the Accord, with its admitted competence, can't even dream of getting. Ditto for the P-AWS.
Old 11-04-14, 12:05 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

From the seed of an idea to the floor of SEMA 2014: watch as the Acura TLX transforms into a one-of-a-kind show car and the creative force behind it explain how it all happened. #TLXreimagined
Old 11-04-14, 01:09 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave Merek is still around?
Old 11-05-14, 05:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
After reading lots of pretty positive reviews, Car and Driver seems to be rather unimpressed in their latest review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...4l-test-review
Huh? I haven't received the latest issue, but did get the issue with the first impressions:
In replacing the TSX and the TL, Acura has crafted a better car using the finest attributes of both. If you can live without rear-wheel drive, a manual transmission, or the fanciest badges, the TLX makes a very compelling case. Its case is made stronger yet when you consider its high level of sport and luxury features plus the fact that BMW will charge you $60K to get much of it in a 3-series.

Overall, the TLX is a satisfying and overdue return to the engineering and dynamic greatness long associated with Honda’s luxury brand. The three available configurations have their own distinct personalities and offer value at their respective price points, but if forced to choose, we’d hit the sheets with the V-6 SH-AWD model, wed the excellent 2.4L TLX, and (regrettably) kill the front-drive V-6 iteration. If Acura isn’t fully back, it’s damn close with this car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...t-drive-review
What happened in 2 months?
Old 11-05-14, 05:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Different reviewers, different opinion.
Old 11-05-14, 01:41 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kijug
My 2003 TL-S was the last good Acura sporty sedan they made. There are still tons of them on the road. After you fix the tranny (!?) it's been purring the whole time. I drive other TL's when I take mine in for repairs and the TLs since 2004 just aren't the same. The TLX is all about the engine. We'll see if it drives well and fun and is a "sport sedan." Look at the TL sales figures at http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html -- they are dismal compared to other competitors. I just upgraded to a Lexus ES 350 (love it!) but my 2003 TL-S is still a fun car to drive, well controlled, IMHO.
I'm going to politely disagree with you on that one. This, here, was the last great TL.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion