Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 07:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Car looks hideous - way too many options in the marketplace to be stuck with this.....The new C-Class will be hard to beat for entry level non-enthusiast buyers.
Interesting reaction. Most people just think its bland. And I think you're not paying attention to the price...this thing is priced very aggressively. Far under the C-class for the well-equipped I4 model, which will without a doubt be the volume model.
Old 08-04-14, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Zzzzzzzzz

It's like acura meant to debut this in 2009 instead of the 4th gen, but they forgot it's actually about to be 2015. Clearly a car for loyal honda fans. Sad the manual is gone as exhaust tips. Clearly aimed at the ES and Q50 than IS and 3 series. And it's a joke compared to the c-class. Hopefully it's more reliable than all the other new acuras.

Old 08-04-14, 07:58 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That interior does not belong in a luxury car.
Old 08-04-14, 07:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Styling, in and out.
Price though is very good at 32K starting to 45K loaded (and this time with real tech).

Step in the right direction, but it's a baby step.
Old 08-04-14, 08:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Author is either a fan boy, paid off, or simply doesn't know the 3IS F-Sport and ATS exist
Was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-04-14, 08:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Zzzzzzzzz

It's like acura meant to debut this in 2009 instead of the 4th gen, but they forgot it's actually about to be 2015. Clearly a car for loyal honda fans. Sad the manual is gone as exhaust tips. Clearly aimed at the ES and Q50 than IS and 3 series. And it's a joke compared to the c-class. Hopefully it's more reliable than all the other new acuras.
It could be a hit in 2009. But this one already looks old. :P
Old 08-04-14, 08:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zzzz? People said the same about the RLX, but seeing it on the road it has presence. It has a nice stance and look to it as well. Not everyone needs or wants a risky design. At least it drives well.
Old 08-04-14, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TF109B
Zzzz? People said the same about the RLX, but seeing it on the road it has presence. It has a nice stance and look to it as well. Not everyone needs or wants a risky design. At least it drives well.
Are you sure you saw a RLX or an accord? The accord is much better designed and proportioned and very handsome and does without a beak and 800 headlights. And the accord has exhausts the RLX doesnt.

Vanilla is supposed to sell. Vanilla not selling is a serious case of doing it wrong..

Old 08-04-14, 09:10 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
It could be a hit in 2009. But this one already looks old. :P
Gotta agree with this and all other comments about the looks of this car inside and out. It just doesn't stand out when the competition exists. Will it still sell well? probably. But they really tamed the design of this car from the concept too much that it just looks extremely bland. But then again, the ES looks extremely bland as well and it sells great, so who knows
Old 08-04-14, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Will they ever learn with those parrot-beak grilles?

Well, I guess, given what we are also seeing from some other automakers.......huge rectangles, trapezoids, chrome-waterfalls, spindles, buck-teeth, etc.........that is just Acura's contribution to the world of automotive garish.
Old 08-05-14, 05:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Author is either a fan boy, paid off, or simply doesn't know the 3IS F-Sport and ATS exist
haters gonna hate.....here's his info...looks like he knows his shti to me...

Michael Harley
West Coast Editor mharley@schnellauto.com https://plus.google.com/+MichaelHarley/posts

Michael Harley — a bona fide automotive enthusiast right down to the core — has been driving, studying, reviewing, and photographing cars since he was legally licensed. He fuels his automotive passion by racing a Porsche Boxster with the Porsche Owners Club and embraces any opportunity to get behind the wheel of a high-power motorized vehicle. Michael is a professional automotive journalist, an experienced photographer, and part owner of GSR Autosport — a multi-facetted award-winning automotive racing business campaigning a BMW in the popular Formula Drift series. In addition to Autoblog, Michael is a contributing writer for numerous automotive club publications and the global marketing firm of J.D. Power and Associates.

...and he's not is love with BMW either.... http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/24/2...urismo-review/

Last edited by bagwell; 08-05-14 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 06:13 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the car looks bland. I had 2012 TL and it doesnt look all that different from it. In fact I think TL looks better!
Old 08-05-14, 06:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Bland from Acura is a positive thing. Sure beats the monstrosity that came before it (TL). It's a healing process shall I say. Glad to hear they've finally done something about noise level.
Old 08-05-14, 06:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

From the initial handful of early reviews the TLX has been pretty well received.

It's no secret that Acura needs to start selling some sedans and this is a good start. I don't think it will be a blockbuster, but with the engine, transmission and drivetrain choices it should do well for them and bring some car buyers into their showrooms.

I'm not a fan of the no exhaust tips look. I don't care for it on the RX, RDX and MDX either, but obviously it hasn't hurt their sales so maybe it's not a deal breaker for most.
Old 08-05-14, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Bland from Acura is a positive thing. Sure beats the monstrosity that came before it (TL). It's a healing process shall I say. Glad to hear they've finally done something about noise level.
Agreed that the previous TL was awful. But bland is not that big an issue with most sedan-buyers in this class...they are usually not looking for sports-car styling. And the parrot-beak grille is not what I would call bland....just awkward-poking.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion