Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 08:44 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
They positioned it below the Q50, so yea, I guess you can say that.

I agree with that. There was some talk awhile back they were thinking about putting out an entry level FWD sedan (ala the discontinued I35). I think there's a good chance the Q40 will morph into that model. Especially with the success of the A3, CLA, and the continued success of the ES, and all of Acura's sedans, it just makes sense for Infiniti to do the same.
ah, how could i forget I35. i really think infiniti needs one again for sure. just do what lexus is doing - go after moms and older folks who wants comfy cruiser. elegant, maybe even feminine. infiniti doesn't always have to be all muscle looking. need a softer one for a differerent crowd.
my mother in law loves her ES300h. we bought her one in korea. it's popular there.
Old 07-10-14, 09:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Oh, just a re-naming of an 8 year old design in a highly competitive class. Good strategy.
hummm I hope BMW never gets rid of the M3 coupe
Old 07-10-14, 10:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

from the Acura website...
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Acura TLX Discussion-capture.jpg   2015 Acura TLX Discussion-capture2.jpg  
Old 07-10-14, 10:43 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
hummm I hope BMW never gets rid of the M3 coupe
Agree. Best thing BMW has ever done, a V8 coupe.
Old 07-10-14, 11:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino
Agree. Best thing BMW has ever done, a V8 coupe.
agreed, but I only posted because the M3 coupe is history.....renamed M4 minus the V8
Old 07-10-14, 12:07 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell

agreed, but I only posted because the M3 coupe is history.....renamed M4 minus the V8
Decades later, people will refer back to E92 as one of the most iconic M cars.
Old 07-10-14, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

about earlier posts... enough with the infiniti back and forth... this thread is about acura's tlx.
Old 07-10-14, 02:18 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Decades later, people will refer back to E92 as one of the most iconic M cars.
Haha, I noticed this, people's favorite 3 Series is always the one that was just replaced
Old 07-10-14, 02:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Beyond the base model and intro lease, this car isn't all that cheap. The next level up cost $4000 more, just for the nav. That again puts it square with other cars that seem a bit more substantial.
Also just noticed, there is a very short rear overhang. Kind of makes the back end look like it's from a compact car.
Old 07-10-14, 03:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Beyond the base model and intro lease, this car isn't all that cheap. The next level up cost $4000 more, just for the nav. That again puts it square with other cars that seem a bit more substantial.
Also just noticed, there is a very short rear overhang. Kind of makes the back end look like it's from a compact car.
Well let's not act like $4k just gets you nav. That gets you nav, all the collision prevention assist features, upgraded stereo, upgraded leather, and telematics features. By the time you add that to the competition they're still typically more expensive. Your similarly equipped CLA250 or Audi A3 will be within $1k, but are smaller.
Old 07-10-14, 03:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well let's not act like $4k just gets you nav. That gets you nav, all the collision prevention assist features, upgraded stereo, upgraded leather, and telematics features. By the time you add that to the competition they're still typically more expensive. Your similarly equipped CLA250 or Audi A3 will be within $1k, but are smaller.
That of course is true. Then the pricing problem lies with too many options bundled with the nav. The car goes from affordable to another class. Poor marketing in my opinion. I see this as a trend with other manufacturers too. Nav should be, and once was a $1000-1500 option. All the other goodies should be offered separately and be left to the discretion of the buyer.
Old 07-10-14, 06:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That just means that Acura is coming in line with other cars in the class. Cadillac, BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi, offer trim levels and/or engine options that create massive jumps in the base prices.
Old 07-10-14, 06:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
That just means that Acura is coming in line with other cars in the class. Cadillac, BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi, offer trim levels and/or engine options that create massive jumps in the base prices.
yep back in the good ole days - the only option on acuras was nav or no nav.

oh lord, are you actually complaining about short overhangs
Old 07-10-14, 06:44 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm surprised by how aggressively priced the base TLX is considering the ILX is starting just a few grand below it. At a $30k base the TLX is a lot more car for just a little more money. Acura is going to move a ton of these at the expense of the ILX for sure.

Honda knows how to tune a chassis so I'm sure its handling will be solid. We'll have to wait and see how their new 8 & 9 speed transmissions stack up and I'm still not convinced they can build an interior on par w/ competitors.

I can't wait to read the comparison test results.
Old 07-10-14, 07:51 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with Mike on this one. The ILX clearly turned out to be a mistake.
MM, we didn't need this TLX to arrive to know that the ILX was a mistake. That was Acura rushing a silly "luxurious" economy car out for no reason. Dead on arrival. The ILX is simply a waste, those things were never going to sell. Whoever OK'd bringing it to market should be fired.

They should consider dropping it, and simply concentrating on the TSX. They could start, for example, by taking the money that the ILX is costing them and use it to add a V6 and AWD option to the TSX Sportwagon.
Yep, they should just put the ILX out of its misery now.

The TLX is way better, and not that much more money.

The TLX is going to outsell the IS by a wide margin once it hits the market.

Last edited by KevinGS; 07-11-14 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion