Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Time will tell, but it very well could. The TLX won't have the in house competition like the IS does with ES and GS.
The TLX is SUPPOSED to outsell the IS, it is Acura's volume sedan. The ES is Lexus volume sedan. The IS is not a TLX competitor head on and the IS is a more niche car. Though this generation is selling so well it might just outsell the TLX which was unheard of before. Similar to how the Q50 is the volume sedan for Infiniti and it just isn't selling that well, the IS is crushing it in sales. That was unheard of with the last gen G37.

Again most of you are missing the math. The TL was Acura's volume car, selling 50-70k its best years. The TSX added another 35-40k. Those two cars provided around 90-100k volume their best years. The last gen TSX and TL were not as well received and their genius idea is to merge both into one and then shoot for a 44k sales goal. That is still a huge sales loss compared to the best years. So anyone cheering for a rise in sales doesn't see the entire picture and how it is still bleak.

Add a poor selling ILX and RLX and this will continue to be mostly a SUV company. Mind you the RDX sales are going to start dropping fast due to the NX and the new Lincoln.

I don't know any car company that sells 100k then sells 50k and can call that a successful business move.

Old 07-08-14, 12:45 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The TLX is SUPPOSED to outsell the IS, it is Acura's volume sedan. The ES is Lexus volume sedan. The IS is not a TLX competitor head on and the IS is a more niche car. Though this generation is selling so well it might just outsell the TLX which was unheard of before. Similar to how the Q50 is the volume sedan for Infiniti and it just isn't selling that well, the IS is crushing it in sales. That was unheard of with the last gen G37.

Again most of you are missing the math. The TL was Acura's volume car, selling 50-70k its best years. The TSX added another 35-40k. Those two cars provided around 90-100k volume their best years. The last gen TSX and TL were not as well received and their genius idea is to merge both into one and then shoot for a 44k sales goal. That is still a huge sales loss compared to the best years. So anyone cheering for a rise in sales doesn't see the entire picture and how it is still bleak.

Add a poor selling ILX and RLX and this will continue to be mostly a SUV company. Mind you the RDX sales are going to start dropping fast due to the NX and the new Lincoln.

I don't know any car company that sells 100k then sells 50k and can call that a successful business move.
The SALES number alone won't be the sole indicator of successful or failure of the product. When there were TSX and TL, it will cost more for tooling, training, producing....and so on. Now they have 1 model (with many variations) to TOTAL cost to produce them will be less.

I like Profits more than Revenues.
Old 07-09-14, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
The SALES number alone won't be the sole indicator of successful or failure of the product. When there were TSX and TL, it will cost more for tooling, training, producing....and so on. Now they have 1 model (with many variations) to TOTAL cost to produce them will be less.

I like Profits more than Revenues.
There is no car company outside of Ferrari that isn't trying to sell more cars and increase volume. Honda just released that they have missed the boat on profits with Acura since luxury marques can be huge profit makers for a brand.

Going from 90-110k units to half that is never a good thing in the auto business.

Old 07-09-14, 11:37 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acura is not giving any impression at all compare to what is on the market. The only thing that caught my attention is the RLX (Hybrid-SH-AWD). Unfortunately, I can not afford it new. Have to wait for it to get used one.

For all the performance without the luxurious features, my STI still out perform all of the Sedan nowadays up to 70k vehicles ranges. No wonder why WRX and STI are flying off the lot.

I am so glad that I made the purchase that I did. The dealer close to home, how have the mark up on their STI. The last two were sold within 1 week of inventory...how freaking fast that was

Last edited by Whitigir; 07-09-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-09-14, 11:46 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Acura can just steal the production of the EU Civic Type R, then bring it here and produce Integra all over again....omg, think about how much they can sell.
Old 07-09-14, 05:58 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a fun post, can't believe I missed it earlier. Anyway, The Q50 is selling just fine. You keep trying to compare current sales of the Q50 to the previous years sales of the G37 in multiple threads as a way to make it seem as if the Q50 is some sort of flop compared to the G. Ha!

The fact is, the G37 is still alive and well and selling along side the Q50, so total combined sales of the Q50/G37 are more now than the best months/years the G37 ever had on its own when it was carrying the entry level sedan/coupe ship for Infiniti.

Sales of the Q50/Q60/G37 combined in the month of June were 4,567. Sales of the IS sedan/IS convertible were 3,932.

So who's crushing who?

Infiniti divided up its entry level rear wheel drive sedan/coupe lineup into 3 separate products. So hate to break it to you sir, but Infiniti does and always has outsold Lexus' entry-level RWD-biased offerings.

I do agree, however, that the TLX will be more of an ES-fighter than anything RWD/sporty coming from Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc etc etc.
Old 07-09-14, 07:31 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Whitigir
If Acura can just steal the production of the EU Civic Type R, then bring it here and produce Integra all over again....omg, think about how much they can sell.
12? performance variants appeal to a limited crowd...
Old 07-09-14, 07:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
What a fun post, can't believe I missed it earlier. Anyway, The Q50 is selling just fine. You keep trying to compare current sales of the Q50 to the previous years sales of the G37 in multiple threads as a way to make it seem as if the Q50 is some sort of flop compared to the G. Ha!

The fact is, the G37 is still alive and well and selling along side the Q50, so total combined sales of the Q50/G37 are more now than the best months/years the G37 ever had on its own when it was carrying the entry level sedan/coupe ship for Infiniti.

Sales of the Q50/Q60/G37 combined in the month of June were 4,567. Sales of the IS sedan/IS convertible were 3,932.

So who's crushing who?

Infiniti divided up its entry level rear wheel drive sedan/coupe lineup into 3 separate products. So hate to break it to you sir, but Infiniti does and always has outsold Lexus' entry-level RWD-biased offerings.

I do agree, however, that the TLX will be more of an ES-fighter than anything RWD/sporty coming from Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc etc etc.
Since the Q50 now drives like an ES, I guess we should then combine ES and IS sales. Look stop coming on Clublexus to compare Lexus vs Infiniti, its a slaughter and rather ridiculous. Nissan stated this year the brand either lost money or barely broke even. Lexus is one of the worlds most revered brands and brings in over 50% of Toyota's profits.

It is ridiculous to come to CL to somehow leverage how the brand is better than Lexus in every thread and post. :roll eyes:

Honestly its really funny to be on Clublexus with a name Lex2Infin. It is like being on FerrariChat with a name Ferrari2VW. It would be like being on a Prada forum with the name Prada2Payless. It would be like being on a Saks forum with the name Saks2Walmart.

Doesn't seem like you are aiming very high in life.

Old 07-09-14, 08:15 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Since the Q50 now drives like an ES, I guess we should then combine ES and IS sales. Look stop coming on Clublexus to compare Lexus vs Infiniti, its a slaughter and rather ridiculous.
You compared the IS to the Q50 (Lexus vs. Infiniti) and I simply responded to your post.

Nissan stated this year the brand either lost money or barely broke even. Lexus is one of the worlds most revered brands and brings in over 50% of Toyota's profits.
Ok.

It is ridiculous to come to CL to somehow leverage how the brand is better than Lexus in every thread and post. :roll eyes:
Right, cuz that's exactly what I do
The people on here that actually read what I post know exactly what I'm saying and it has nothing to do with something so juvenile as saying that "Infiniti is better than Lexus"

Funny though, you seem to have to constantly justify Lexus being "better" than Infiniti instead of responding to the direct argument being presented to you.

Honestly its really funny to be on Clublexus with a name Lex2Infin. It is like being on FerrariChat with a name Ferrari2VW. It would be like being on a Prada forum with the name Prada2Payless. It would be like being on a Saks forum with the name Saks2Walmart.

Doesn't seem like you are aiming very high in life.
The first sign of losing argument? Insults
Although it's not very insulting to me. I've owned numerous Lexus products, as I've mentioned before, but have switched to Infiniti for the simple reason that they simply have more "soul" than the Lexus LS & GS models I've owned previously. Sorry, I know that probably upsets you, but it's the truth. My Infinitis have been just as reliable as my Lexus LSs (more reliable than my 3 GSs). And yet, I get a certain satisfaction driving them that I never ever got with the 7 Lexus models I've owned. However, that doesn't mean I can't still recognize the strength of Lexus and why the ES & RX sell so well.
Old 07-09-14, 08:35 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

So who's crushing who?

don't follow infiniti. any idea why G37 is still alive?
Old 07-09-14, 08:50 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hlee12
don't follow infiniti. any idea why G37 is still alive?
They've kept it as an entry level model, positioned just below the Q50. It will be renamed the Q40 as of model year 2015.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...named-q40.html
Old 07-09-14, 08:55 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

that's confusing. i always thought g37 was 3 series fighter, and q50 is the replacement. so q40 is a3/2series competitor?

i think infiniti needs their ES. maybe that's what q40 will become? FWD comfy highway cruiser?
Old 07-09-14, 09:18 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

that's confusing. i always thought g37 was 3 series fighter, and q50 is the replacement. so q40 is a3/2series competitor?
They positioned it below the Q50, so yea, I guess you can say that.

i think infiniti needs their ES. maybe that's what q40 will become? FWD comfy highway cruiser?
I agree with that. There was some talk awhile back they were thinking about putting out an entry level FWD sedan (ala the discontinued I35). I think there's a good chance the Q40 will morph into that model. Especially with the success of the A3, CLA, and the continued success of the ES, and all of Acura's sedans, it just makes sense for Infiniti to do the same.
Old 07-10-14, 08:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So who's crushing who?

Well--how long do you think that will last? Once the G37 is dropped completely, are all the folks out there getting a smoking deal on an 8-year old design going to suddenly pony up all the extra $$ to buy a Q50? Isn't Infiniti's combining the sales figures just smoke and mirrors to make it seem the Q50 is doing better than it is (that said, I do see them on the road a lot).

Will Infiniti still combine the sales figures once the Q40 debuts? And if so, shouldn't those sales figures be properly compared with combine sales from other brands to get apples to apples comparisons?

Last edited by tex2670; 07-10-14 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 08:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They've kept it as an entry level model, positioned just below the Q50. It will be renamed the Q40 as of model year 2015.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...named-q40.html
Oh, just a re-naming of an 8 year old design in a highly competitive class. Good strategy.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion