Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 07:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
All over old continent You can get a '12 for €22-26 with 70k miles on it or you can shop '11 for well under €20, some examples with 120k miles go as low as under €16.

Mind you that's not your US speced 5 series, here we are talking about 520d or 520i with most likely manual tranny and no power seats, stuff like that.
ok--I'll take the Accord...
Old 04-24-14, 04:08 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
All over old continent You can get a '12 for €22-26 with 70k miles on it or you can shop '11 for well under €20, some examples with 120k miles go as low as under €16.

Mind you that's not your US speced 5 series, here we are talking about 520d or 520i with most likely manual tranny and no power seats, stuff like that.
So you actually meant more like 2-3 years old BMW.. and 70k-120k miles are really beat up cars in Europe..Unless you mean kilometers. Hell, who wants a 70k-120k miles BMW even here in US over a brand sparkling new trouble free Accord?! Everyone is selling their BMW before it hits 50k miles mark.
Old 04-24-14, 05:54 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keyframe13
So you actually meant more like 2-3 years old BMW.. and 70k-120k miles are really beat up cars in Europe..Unless you mean kilometers. Hell, who wants a 70k-120k miles BMW even here in US over a brand sparkling new trouble free Accord?! Everyone is selling their BMW before it hits 50k miles mark.
Huh?

All day long I see E46, E90, F30 3ers, and E39, E60, F10 5ers, etc. Plenty of people choosing to drive a used post lease CPO Bimmer over a new Accord everyday. Heck, I'm about to make that same choice with my E93. Flipping it to CPO in June. I could buy a brand spanking new Accord, or TLX instead. The TLX has piqued my interested, but not interested in a first year model and would want to see some reviews first. Maybe down the line. I used to run an Accord web forum and I think it's funny how so many of us that used to help run that forum are all driving Bimmers now too. One has an E46 and E39, another an E92, me an E93, another has a 135i. We have our own private Bimmer forum all from former Accord forum moderators. LOL.
Old 04-24-14, 08:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone is selling their BMW before it hits 50k miles mark.
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Huh?

All day long I see E46, E90, F30 3ers, and E39, E60, F10 5ers, etc.
You can't "sell" unless someone else buys. There are plenty of 50k+ BMWs out there; just maybe not being cross-shopped against brand new Accords....
Old 04-24-14, 08:52 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt someone would buy them, for the right price..The point was that it's well known and documented the very poor reliability germans have along with the best driving machines when they work. It's hard to document buy I have no doubt that more people chose a reliable car over a hi-mileage BMW unless they are enthusiast and really can afford the cost of maintaining a bmw.. There is a reason honda sells over 350k units in US.
Old 04-24-14, 08:57 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhmm I thought we are talking about Acura TLX
Old 04-24-14, 08:59 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh?

All day long I see E46, E90, F30 3ers, and E39, E60, F10 5ers, etc. Plenty of people choosing to drive a used post lease CPO Bimmer over a new Accord everyday. Heck, I'm about to make that same choice with my E93. Flipping it to CPO in June. I could buy a brand spanking new Accord, or TLX instead. The TLX has piqued my interested, but not interested in a first year model and would want to see some reviews first. Maybe down the line. I used to run an Accord web forum and I think it's funny how so many of us that used to help run that forum are all driving Bimmers now too. One has an E46 and E39, another an E92, me an E93, another has a 135i. We have our own private Bimmer forum all from former Accord forum moderators. LOL.
I know I'm biased, but I say keep the E93
Old 04-24-14, 09:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Me too...
Old 04-24-14, 09:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EthanV
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Me too...
27 pages, and get off on one tangent...ouch. Harsh...
Old 04-24-14, 12:04 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 04-24-14, 12:26 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Comparisons to more loaded but used Bimmers, vs a new Acura TLX or fully loaded Honda Accord are still on topic, I think.

Seriously, if i really wanted a TLX, and it definitely has appeal to me, I could get one. Just turn in my 335i and drive our old Highlander for a few months,and then pick one up later in the year. Would have to sink a grand into fixing the Highlander's A/C though. Don't think they've released pricing yet have they? But I think within $5k at this price point is basically the same amount of money. CPO flip on the E93 is mid/upper-$30's, need to check paperwork.
Old 04-24-14, 12:32 PM
LexFather

No doubt someone would buy them, for the right price..The point was that it's well known and documented the very poor reliability germans have along with the best driving machines when they work. It's hard to document buy I have no doubt that more people chose a reliable car over a hi-mileage BMW unless they are enthusiast and really can afford the cost of maintaining a bmw.. There is a reason honda sells over 350k units in US.
Which is regurgitated on the internet but in reality people buy used BMWs all the time and obviously don't care about maintenance costs. Some people would rather a used BMW to a new Accord/TLX anything else. Its their choice as a consumer. To some people they want a car that might give more problems but they prioritize other merits over reliability.

Its not like buying a new Asian car is some sure thing, they have misses as well but of course a new plebeian Accord will be much more reliable than a sports sedan BMW.

Its not even an argument. Per Honda the TL is mostly cross shopped with their own Accord and the Camry, not used BMWs.

Old 04-24-14, 12:43 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, from personal experience, I think the "poor reliability" of German cars is a bit over-stated on here. I've had a few minor issues with my 335i, but had way more issues with my RAV4. Many of them are not even poor in Consumer Reports. Lots make at least average, which is pretty good, especially if you limit the techno gadgetry options, like headlamp washers and other junk. You can order a BMW as complicated and gadget laden as you want. But it's precisely all of that stuff that makes the cars less reliable. Order a simple one and surprise surprise, they're much more reliable simply because there's less to go wrong.
Old 04-24-14, 12:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

BTW, from personal experience, I think the "poor reliability" of German cars is a bit over-stated on here. I've had a few minor issues with my 335i, but had way more issues with my RAV4. Many of them are not even poor in Consumer Reports. Lots make at least average, which is pretty good, especially if you limit the techno gadgetry options, like headlamp washers and other junk. You can order a BMW as complicated and gadget laden as you want. But it's precisely all of that stuff that makes the cars less reliable. Order a simple one and surprise surprise, they're much more reliable simply because there's less to go wrong.
BMW's with the N54 engine got the poor-reliability reputation that it deserved. I'm glad yours has been OK (or is yours an N55 car?) but all the issues with the waste gates, injectors, and the whole HPFP really didn't help things.
Old 04-24-14, 01:49 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
BMW's with the N54 engine got the poor-reliability reputation that it deserved. I'm glad yours has been OK (or is yours an N55 car?) but all the issues with the waste gates, injectors, and the whole HPFP really didn't help things.
Yup they really screwed the pooch on that one, which is why I avoided it. Mine is an N55. I'd rather be driving a top spec 255hp port-injected NA N52 "330i" E93 with no turbo, no wastegate(s), and no HPFP, but sadly never offered here. Story for another day... Will see how this thing does beyond 3 years.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion