Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Old 08-07-14, 11:24 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Actually I think I fall into MOST of those categories as well - I would never own/drive a MB,
only BMW would only be an M3/4 or 235.

in my next car I'm actually going to go back to sporty not luxury...... STI / GTI / Golf R / Focus ST. Even with an Acura, people are like wow, you drive an Acura? Nice. I honestly do not want that reaction...I don't need/want to be propped up by impressing someone with my car, I just want something sporty for ME. And no these people mentioned above are not enthusiasts (obviously) they are real everyday normal working folks -- but the brand still brings respect without being over-the-top flashy.
I’m on the opposite end of the car buying arena. I play to go all out again on my next car purchase. It’s either going to be an Aston, MB, or Maserati. Off the top I know my reliable is going to suck but I plan to lease or get a nice long term warranty.
I want the most attractive girl in the class anything else can get to the back of the line.
Old 08-07-14, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

bagwell and roger2 - can't say we don't have diverse viewpoints and goals on CL Car Chat
Old 08-07-14, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I equate acura with buick... premium, but not luxury.
Maybe so, but the Verano didn't smoke the ILX's sales for nothing. The LaCrosse did more or less the same thing, sales-wise to the last-generation TL. (but I'll admit the TL, though awkward-looking, was more solidly-built).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 01:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Actually I think I fall into MOST of those categories as well - I would never own/drive a MB,
only BMW would only be an M3/4 or 235.

in my next car I'm actually going to go back to sporty not luxury...... STI / GTI / Golf R / Focus ST. Even with an Acura, people are like wow, you drive an Acura? Nice. I honestly do not want that reaction...I don't need/want to be propped up by impressing someone with my car, I just want something sporty for ME. And no these people mentioned above are not enthusiasts (obviously) they are real everyday normal working folks -- but the brand still brings respect without being over-the-top flashy.
People say that in HOUSTON? I didn't take that to be a conservative city...
Old 08-07-14, 02:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
People say that in HOUSTON? I didn't take that to be a conservative city...
car enthusiasts are a rare breed in this city....as in most cities...(meaning, an enthusiast isn't impressed by acura)....of course I'm an enthusiast and a badge doesn't impress me anymore...I don't even take a second glance at ANY MB....
Old 08-07-14, 06:23 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The TL and ES used to sell tit for tat, the TL even outselling the ES a couple of years. Today that is no longer the case. I'm in a ES hybrid now and I'm trying to figure out all the complaining people are doing about the car. Sure some bits lack compared to a GS or LS but it is an ES, an entry level luxury car.

The ES is fine, it sells fine, the hybrid is amazing, the TLX could hope to do so well in regards to sales. They FWD V-6 TLX vs ES seems like a very fair fight.
I think the only people complaining aren't meant to be the target audience for the ES anyways. The consistent sales show this to be true.

As for the TLX, seems nice enough, but it just doesn't look very premium to me. Its like they are missing on the finer details that a higher end car would have. Then again for 30k its a pretty good deal for what you get.
Old 08-07-14, 06:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

Agreed, the 4 banger Accord tops out at ~$30k with TrueCar having it slightly above $28k. I can get the TLX 4 cyl with the advanced package for $35k before discounts so once the initial rush is down, maybe $33k? I'd say that's a pretty reasonable price for a step up into a near luxury car.
Old 08-07-14, 06:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so, but the Verano didn't smoke the ILX's sales for nothing. The LaCrosse did more or less the same thing, sales-wise to the last-generation TL. (but I'll admit the TL, though awkward-looking, was more solidly-built).
In its RoadTest Consumer Reports preferred the ILX over the Verano, but the car buying public definitely thinks otherwise.

The Verano/Cruze combination has done well for GM.
Old 08-07-14, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure, maybe... i equate acura with buick... premium, but not luxury.
Bit I don't know how you could equate Acura to Buick, they are just so very different with different buyers, so different it is like comparing BMW to Dodge. Acura being a much higher end brand built on engineering/tuning/performance and is a luxury brand while Buick's have always been just typical GM vehicles composed from GM parts bin, nothing innovative, nothing groundbreaking, no unique technology or models, they have always been that. Acura's are pretty much always compared to luxury brands while Buick is hardly ever compared to them, even the highly improved current Buick's are rarely if ever compared to luxury brands models. A Acura buyer would pretty much never buy or be interested in a Buick and it is doubtful a Buick buyer would be interested in Acura's. Your experience with the MDX owner is likely due to its huge success in the market attracting much more then typical Acura buyers.

Acura like Lexus does share with their mainstream brands too but still Buick has nothing like SH-AWD, new DSG trans, Krell/ELS Audio, PAWS, upcoming 3 motor hybrid, etc.

Buick had mostly a old geezer image in the 80's-2000's building soft riding unimpressive GM clone cars(aside from the fluke Grand National turbo) that were re badges of of Oldmobiles and Chevy's while Acura was building and built its reputation on cars like the Legend, Integra(Type R's), NSX, TL and CL s(Type S's, SH-AWD RL/MDX, Vtec, SH-AWD, great driving, highly engineered cars that in most cases got very good reviews and were put up against BMW's.

The current crop of Acura sedans like the ILX and RLX are not as competitive as previous models especially since they have neglected to give them SH-AWD but that does not mean the brand has just become a Buick competitor or is not considered a luxury/performance maker anymore. It is likely because of lagging sales they will get the message that this current crop of cars is not what the market wants and they should go back to their older ways which could not be further from Buick, they are and have always been solidly well above Buick.

Here is a collection of reviews for the TLX, mostly positive to very positive, nothing like what the ILX and RLX reviews were like.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ra-tlx-review/

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...f-the-3-series

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/we-te...y-giant-killer

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...x_first_drive/

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2015-...ry-performance

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/...as-sedan-woes/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...t-drive-review

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tlx/2015/road-test.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/first-dr...lx-review.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/04/2...-drive-review/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...t-drive-review

I will have to test drive the TLX but it does seem the 4 cyl with the DSG is a really great car and nobody is really complaining of it lacking power compared to the 6 cyl. Styling is nice, it looks good to me in most pics, a little bland from the rear and side in some, needs visible exhaust outlets. Not a fan of the dual touchscreen layout, would much rather have buttons and switches. It looks like they should have given it a better tire option to get more performance out of it on the V6. Rumors of a Type S are strong though there are some rumors toward the turbo 4 from the Euro Civic Type R then a turbo V6.
Old 08-08-14, 04:16 AM
LexFather

If one is going to argue Acura isn't like Buick then I assume they should be compared to JEEP considering 70-80% of their vehicles sold are two SUVS.

Acura=Buick... Pretty much the same thing with both having their own advantages. Both do not offer true luxury vehicles or sport vehicles but are a nice way of executing Honda/Chevrolet plus. Both are mostly designed and made in America for mostly America ( though Buick demolishes Acura in China). Both brands are geared mostly to non enthusiasts looking for a nice car and "Value".

There was a time when the comparison was ridiculous (1990s) but my how times have changed. Id take take the beautiful Buick Regal GS over any Acura. Being compared to Buick toduy is no bad thing at all, Buick sells a great lineup and continues to improve.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-08-14 at 04:23 AM.

Old 08-08-14, 07:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Acura=Buick...

There was a time when the comparison was ridiculous (1990s) but my how times have changed. Being compared to Buick today is no bad thing at all, Buick sells a great lineup and continues to improve.
I'll agree with that....IMO, Buick has made great strides in modernizing itself while Acura has severely slid/misstepped.

IMO TLX is a back to basics, safe attempt after the ZDX and current TL flops.
Old 08-08-14, 08:15 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one is going to argue Acura isn't like Buick then I assume they should be compared to JEEP considering 70-80% of their vehicles sold are two SUVS.

Acura=Buick... Pretty much the same thing with both having their own advantages. Both do not offer true luxury vehicles or sport vehicles but are a nice way of executing Honda/Chevrolet plus. Both are mostly designed and made in America for mostly America ( though Buick demolishes Acura in China). Both brands are geared mostly to non enthusiasts looking for a nice car and "Value".

There was a time when the comparison was ridiculous (1990s) but my how times have changed. Id take take the beautiful Buick Regal GS over any Acura. Being compared to Buick toduy is no bad thing at all, Buick sells a great lineup and continues to improve.
The regal GS is pimp, would take it over Acura as well.

I agree with some of the posts, Buick is on the same level as Acura these days. What was 10 years ago I do not care about, things are changing fast, brands rise and fall, Buick went forward, Acura backward and now they share that premium but not luxury market.
Old 08-08-14, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

of course acura and buick are not exactly the same, but they're definitely premium versions of their mainstream brands.
Old 08-08-14, 09:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
The regal GS is pimp, would take it over Acura as well.
Nice car (GS) -- designed in Germany by Opel (known as the Insignia over there).
It's not exactly a huge seller in the US....

Last edited by bagwell; 08-08-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 03:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

got a test drive email today....

I like this shot...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion