Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 05:32 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Acura on the other hand have good strong engines super reliable I think Acura needs very little to be on top
I disagree. Reliability is great when you're selling mainstream, workhorse cars like the Accord/Camry, but when it comes to luxury you have to offer some excess and Acura offers none of that. In order for them to get to the top, they need a whole new line up that consists of more than 1 Civic based sedan, 2 Accord based sedans, and 2 SUVs. Will the NSX help? Definitely...if it ever gets released.
Old 03-14-14, 06:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
People possibly choose Audi because they are the most reliable of all German brands. This has been known in the industry for years and proven by Consumer Reports.

The A4 is the oldest model in their line-up and about to be redesigned in the next few months. It will mesh better with it's fresh competitors. Audi sedans are long known to be understated, refined, and classy, not ostentatious like the new C-Class.
Well, I think in Europe, VW/Audi rates as least reliable out of 3... could be because of their diesels.
Old 03-14-14, 06:42 AM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with you. I'll take any Acura any day over Audi at least on the entry level.
I cannot understand how audi can get away with that joke of 2.0l engine to put it on so many cars and still sell like crazy. From what i read it has huge oil consumption problem after just few miles.
They use that engine on A3, on A4 even on A6 (Which i think it';s insane to put an engine like that to a $50k car) on Q5 as well or Allroad and let's not forget A5. Who does that? and it;'s not even reliable..
Acura on the other hand have good strong engines super reliable I think Acura needs very little to be on top
Great post, agree 100%
Old 03-14-14, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I totally agree with you. I'll take any Acura any day over Audi at least on the entry level.
I cannot understand how audi can get away with that joke of 2.0l engine to put it on so many cars and still sell like crazy. From what i read it has huge oil consumption problem after just few miles.
They use that engine on A3, on A4 even on A6 (Which i think it';s insane to put an engine like that to a $50k car) on Q5 as well or Allroad and let's not forget A5. Who does that? and it;'s not even reliable..
5-Series and XF also use a 2.0T as a base unit. Those put out around 240hp and a bit more torque.
Old 03-14-14, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
5-Series and XF also use a 2.0T as a base unit. Those put out around 240hp and a bit more torque.
One thing good about these offerings is, say your buying an A6, you have your choice of 2.0t, 3.0t, 3.0TDI or the high performance S6. Choice is good.
Old 03-14-14, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
One thing good about these offerings is, say your buying an A6, you have your choice of 2.0t, 3.0t, 3.0TDI or the high performance S6. Choice is good.
I personally wouldn't get the 2.0 (I tend to be a power snob), but as you say it gives choice which is good. Not to mention it lowers the price vs the higher engines, and gets decent mileage and power
Old 03-14-14, 11:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I personally wouldn't get the 2.0 (I tend to be a power snob), but as you say it gives choice which is good. Not to mention it lowers the price vs the higher engines, and gets decent mileage and power
Even a family hauler like the Q5 is available with the same engine varieties as the A6 plus a hybrid. I think they're trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. How much is too much? is hard to tell.
Old 03-14-14, 11:46 AM
Stormwind
Racer

sad, sad situation.

Old 03-14-14, 01:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Even a family hauler like the Q5 is available with the same engine varieties as the A6 plus a hybrid. I think they're trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. How much is too much? is hard to tell.
To me it makes sense to implement the engine throughout the line-up, and they do change the output on some models like the new TT puts out 300hp or even dumb it down for the more mainstream VW models, so it is versatile. Some though would argue that a four banger in a Luxury badge is blasphemy, and while it could be true that they are less smooth and whatnot, if government mandates better fuel economy well that's not exactly the automakers fault, they just have to abide by the rules best they can.

But I digress, this thread is about the TLX. These latest shots make it look uninspiring vs the concept and they aren't that far off save for a few changes in the bumper. Hopefully it does something for Acura, because they and Lincoln are next on the chopping block if say the TLX or MKC can't get anything going for them. Personally I'd say within 3 years we'll see if the parent companies Honda and Ford can turn them around or choose to put them to pasture.
Old 03-14-14, 01:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

I know you're hoping for the 3.7L hybrid, but if they shoehorn the system in the Accord hybrid into the TLX, I'd definitely be interested in it.
Old 03-14-14, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Allen K
I know you're hoping for the 3.7L hybrid, but if they shoehorn the system in the Accord hybrid into the TLX, I'd definitely be interested in it.
Boy the ES300h would have fits if they did that
Old 03-14-14, 02:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

But it makes too much sense so they probably won't do it
Old 03-14-14, 06:25 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

To me it makes sense to implement the engine throughout the line-up, and they do change the output on some models like the new TT puts out 300hp or even dumb it down for the more mainstream VW models, so it is versatile. Some though would argue that a four banger in a Luxury badge is blasphemy, and while it could be true that they are less smooth and whatnot, if government mandates better fuel economy well that's not exactly the automakers fault, they just have to abide by the rules best they can.

But I digress, this thread is about the TLX. These latest shots make it look uninspiring vs the concept and they aren't that far off save for a few changes in the bumper. Hopefully it does something for Acura, because they and Lincoln are next on the chopping block if say the TLX or MKC can't get anything going for them. Personally I'd say within 3 years we'll see if the parent companies Honda and Ford can turn them around or choose to put them to pasture.
Extremely doubtful that Honda would ever axe Acura. They are far too successful with the MDX & RDX that those 2 models alone are enough to carry the brand. What they should do is probably axe the RLX if in 3 years it still sells in the horrible numbers it does today (likely). There is no reason to keep the RLX around in my opinion when it doesn't distinguish itself enough from the TL/TLX in performance and features. It is still not big enough in size to compete with the LS, S-Class, and others, and is still based off the Accord. At this rate, they should probably just keep the TLX & ILX as their sedans, the MDX & RDX as their SUVs, and the NSX & possibly add a new entry level coupe (new RDX?) as their coupes and leave it at that.

Originally Posted by Allen K
They would be seriously foolish not to use the Accord hybrid setup in any new Acura hybrid going forward. If they continue to use the IMA system at this point, then they are clearly lost as a company. It's a no-brainer to use the newer highly more efficient system.
Old 03-14-14, 07:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Extremely doubtful that Honda would ever axe Acura. They are far too successful with the MDX & RDX that those 2 models alone are enough to carry the brand. What they should do is probably axe the RLX if in 3 years it still sells in the horrible numbers it does today (likely). There is no reason to keep the RLX around in my opinion when it doesn't distinguish itself enough from the TL/TLX in performance and features. It is still not big enough in size to compete with the LS, S-Class, and others, and is still based off the Accord. At this rate, they should probably just keep the TLX & ILX as their sedans, the MDX & RDX as their SUVs, and the NSX & possibly add a new entry level coupe (new RSX?) as their coupes and leave it at that.
fixed for you
Old 03-14-14, 07:45 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

fixed for you
Thanks. Right, I meant RSX obviously. I don't know why they gave up on that model in the first place. Seemed pretty popular at the time and sold decently. Just another poor business decision on their part.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion