Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Old 03-12-14, 04:11 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a sleeker ILX, I'm sure only loyal honda enthusiasts and current gen TL will be all over this
Old 03-12-14, 06:11 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bland.

Acura should really consider something OUT of the box for once. Those jewel LED eyes are nice but that's all? Really?
Old 03-12-14, 08:21 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pman6
i feel the same for both. ie nothing. Some recent mercedes and bmw cars at least gave me a tingle.

blandness is standard for both and to be expected for fwd entry level

One has a cleft lip, and the other has a glasgow smile that wraps around the side of the car.
Agree with this completely. Although bland, I think the TLX is going to sell somewhere between the current TL and previous generation TL. It's a safe design but based on the early specs, it seems like it has improved significantly over the current generation. I predict the 4 cylinder model to carry the majority of the sales once it's released, assuming of course they price it right.
Old 03-12-14, 10:24 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

But nothing is more bland than a base C-class, 3 series & A4
Old 03-12-14, 10:31 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yowps3
But nothing is more bland than a base C-class, 3 series & A4
The A4 and Audis in general are in my opinion, the most bland looking luxury vehicles on the road today. Combine the consistently poor reliability with the bland looks, I can't understand why anyone would choose an Audi over the German competition (or any competition for that matter). I feel the same about Volkswagen vehicles. At least with Acura, you know you're getting a well built reliable luxury vehicle with stellar resale value.
Old 03-13-14, 12:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
The A4 and Audis in general are in my opinion, the most bland looking luxury vehicles on the road today. Combine the consistently poor reliability with the bland looks, I can't understand why anyone would choose an Audi over the German competition (or any competition for that matter). I feel the same about Volkswagen vehicles. At least with Acura, you know you're getting a well built reliable luxury vehicle with stellar resale value.
People possibly choose Audi because they are the most reliable of all German brands. This has been known in the industry for years and proven by Consumer Reports.

The A4 is the oldest model in their line-up and about to be redesigned in the next few months. It will mesh better with it's fresh competitors. Audi sedans are long known to be understated, refined, and classy, not ostentatious like the new C-Class.
Old 03-13-14, 01:01 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I thought Mercedes Benz is the most reliable of the trio.
Old 03-13-14, 01:04 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
People possibly choose Audi because they are the most reliable of all German brands. This has been known in the industry for years and proven by Consumer Reports.

The A4 is the oldest model in their line-up and about to be redesigned in the next few months. It will mesh better with it's fresh competitors. Audi sedans are long known to be understated, refined, and classy, not ostentatious like the new C-Class.
The q7 is the oldest
Old 03-13-14, 01:58 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

I just find it interesting how Audi always seems to get a pass in their shortcomings vs. Acura who seems to be constantly picked on (not on here necessarily, I just mean in general). They are both FWD based premium brands that offer AWD on their vehicles. Both are on the conservative/bland side as far as styling goes, yet Acura, as with Lexus, has routinely put out the most reliable luxury vehicles on the road for years, in addition to their excellent resale value. Ok, they don't have a proper flagship and have made some terrible product decisions (ZDX, etc), but I just find it interesting how they're looked at as the bastard child of luxury brands, when Audi in my mind has just as many if not more shortcomings.

I disagree that Audi is the most reliable German brand and how that's been know for years, and in fact in recent years, all signs point to MB as having the most reliable German products (certainly that wasn't the case a decade ago, but they seem to have improved significantly since then). I've heard of numerous Audi reliability disasters, and I don't find them to be nearly as appealing as others seem to find them. I'm not trying to go too off topic here, but I have yet to hear a compelling case as to why anyone would choose an Audi over a comparable BMW or MB, not to mention the offerings from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or even Cadillac.
Old 03-13-14, 02:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Because tastes are subjective and people will like what they like.
Old 03-13-14, 02:10 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
Because tastes are subjective and people will like what they like.
That's true, I guess I just don't understand the bias against Acura and the "let's put Audi on a pedestal just because they're a German brand" theme that seems to be so prevalent amongst the press, blogs, and various forums.
Old 03-13-14, 02:33 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's true, I guess I just don't understand the bias against Acura and the "let's put Audi on a pedestal just because they're a German brand" theme that seems to be so prevalent amongst the press, blogs, and various forums.
I think part of the reason is brand management. Acura has been wafting for years, with no mission statement and no focus really.

Whereas Audi, has stayed focused on performance and luxury.

Also, Acura simply doesn't have products like the RS5, TT-RS, S7, A8, R8, etc. They put out mostly glorified Honda Accords, and now Civics and try to convince us that is luxury.
Old 03-13-14, 06:32 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think part of the reason is brand management. Acura has been wafting for years, with no mission statement and no focus really.

Whereas Audi, has stayed focused on performance and luxury.

Also, Acura simply doesn't have products like the RS5, TT-RS, S7, A8, R8, etc. They put out mostly glorified Honda Accords, and now Civics and try to convince us that is luxury.
No, I get that. I realize the strengths of Audi are in their performance models. I just think they get too much of a pass in every other aspect - from their bland designs, to their spotty reliability, to their pricing. If Acura had better management and hadn't dropped the ball time and time again, they could probably surpass brands like Audi and others, and I suppose that's where so much of the frustration comes from amongst enthusiasts.
Old 03-13-14, 08:00 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I just find it interesting how Audi always seems to get a pass in their shortcomings vs. Acura who seems to be constantly picked on (not on here necessarily, I just mean in general). They are both FWD based premium brands that offer AWD on their vehicles. Both are on the conservative/bland side as far as styling goes, yet Acura, as with Lexus, has routinely put out the most reliable luxury vehicles on the road for years, in addition to their excellent resale value. Ok, they don't have a proper flagship and have made some terrible product decisions (ZDX, etc), but I just find it interesting how they're looked at as the bastard child of luxury brands, when Audi in my mind has just as many if not more shortcomings.

I disagree that Audi is the most reliable German brand and how that's been know for years, and in fact in recent years, all signs point to MB as having the most reliable German products (certainly that wasn't the case a decade ago, but they seem to have improved significantly since then). I've heard of numerous Audi reliability disasters, and I don't find them to be nearly as appealing as others seem to find them. I'm not trying to go too off topic here, but I have yet to hear a compelling case as to why anyone would choose an Audi over a comparable BMW or MB, not to mention the offerings from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or even Cadillac.
I totally agree with you. I'll take any Acura any day over Audi at least on the entry level.
I cannot understand how audi can get away with that joke of 2.0l engine to put it on so many cars and still sell like crazy. From what i read it has huge oil consumption problem after just few miles.
They use that engine on A3, on A4 even on A6 (Which i think it';s insane to put an engine like that to a $50k car) on Q5 as well or Allroad and let's not forget A5. Who does that? and it;'s not even reliable..
Acura on the other hand have good strong engines super reliable I think Acura needs very little to be on top
Old 03-14-14, 05:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Just bland.

Acura should really consider something OUT of the box for once. Those jewel LED eyes are nice but that's all? Really?
uhh...no...they tried that before (see below)....

TLX is a good "re-boot" for Acura....just come out with a type S or Hybrid sport version of it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion