Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep leads list of 25 most patriotic brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 01:09 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Jeep leads list of 25 most patriotic brands

Jeep leads list of 25 most patriotic brands

It's not unusual to feel extra patriotic this time of year, what with the Fourth of July being today and all. As if to celebrate, New York-based research firm Brand Keys conducted a study among 4,500 consumers about what brands they find to be the most patriotic. According to the Detroit Free Press, Jeep took top honors in this study, besting other American stalwart brands including Coca-Cola, Levi's and Hershey's.

Interestingly, the only other automotive brand to make the list was Ford, in the 16th spot (motorcycle fans take note – Harley-Davidson claimed the No. 13 slot). This means consumers found Jeep to be more patriotic than any of the brands in the General Motors portfolio, including Chevrolet, which has long used American themes in its advertising over the decades.

According to Brand Keys, Jeep came in "with a score of 98 out of 100 on a scale representing consumers' emotional engagement expectations," the Detroit Free Press reports.

It's the brand known for winning World War II, for providing reliable transportation for American G.I.'s under the toughest conditions for generations. And lately, it has come to symbolize American ruggedness and a sense of adventure.

So perhaps it's appropriate that Chrysler Group's Jeep brand is named in a survey as the most patriotic brand from 197 famous brand names in 35 categories.

Heck, Jeep even beat out Coca-Cola, Levis, Harley-Davidson and Disney in the top 25.

The survey of 4,500 consumers was conducted by a New York-based branding researching firm, Brand Keys, with the results released just in time for the Fourth of July holiday, the most patriotic day off of them all.

Jeep was only one of two auto brands in the Top 25. The other was Ford in 16th place. Interestingly, no General Motors brands are on the list including Chevrolet, which used to heavily hit patriotic American themes in its ads.

Jeep topped all others with a score of 98 out of 100 on a scale representing consumers' emotional engagement expectations, according to Brand Keys.

"As marketers traditionally operate on the Independence Day theory that a patriotic, flag-waving call-to-emotion will motivate consumers to behave more positively toward their brands, we wanted to see which brands actually led when it came to that particular value," says Robert Passikoff, president of Brand Keys, in a statement.

He says having consumers view a brand as patriotic goes way beyond trying to create flag-waving ads. It's ingrained -- "more a question of whether that value is seen to part of the brand's equity, whether it's truly acknowledged on a deeply emotional and engaging basis."

Here's the Top 25 list:

1. Jeep (98%)

2. Hershey's (tie, 97%)

3. Coca-Cola (tie, 97%)

4. Levi Strauss (tie, 95%)

5. Walt Disney (tie, 95%)

6. Colgate (94%)

7. Zippo (93%)

8. Wrigley's (92%)

9. Ralph Lauren (91%)

10. Kodak (tie, 90%)

11. Gillette (tie, 90%)

12. New Balance (tie, 89%)

13. Harley-Davidson (tie, 89%)

14. Budweiser (tie, 88%)

15. Marlboro (88%)

16. Ford (86%)

17. Louisville Slugger (tie, 85%)

18. Smith & Wesson (tie, 85%)

19. General Electric (84%)

20. John Deere (tie, 82%)

21. L.L. Bean (tie, 82%)

22. Walmart (81%)

23. Craftsman Tools (tie, 80%)

24. Wilson Sporting Goods (tie, 80%)

25. Wrangler apparel (tie, 80%)
http://www.freep.com/article/2013070...tic-brand-list
Old 07-05-13, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Isnt it sad the one vehicle/brand most associated with patriotism is such a POS vehicle. The Jeep wrangler was, by far, the worst vehicle I have ever had the displeasure of driving. Total trash. It had the same tranny and stereo I had in my mom Datsun 210 station wagon in high school. Total joke. I know they have a cult following but give me a break. Its like driving a stripped out service vehicle that was built to low standards to be disposable . Pretty much what a wrangler was
Old 07-05-13, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

My has a new 2013 Wrangler 4 door rubicon. New 3.6 works well and has surprising feature content. It's also lifted 3 1/2 inches. We took it out 4-wheeling last weekend. Simply outstanding at what it's meant to do
Old 07-05-13, 04:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Ironic, considering that Jeep (through Chrysler) is actually Italian owned (Fiat) now. In the past, it has been French owned: in the early 1980s, while under AMC ownership, French car maker bought troubled AMC. When Chrysler bought AMC from the French in the late 1980s, Chrysler advertised that they were returning Jeep to America. Of course, a decade later, Chrysler (and Jeep) was sold to the Germans (Daimler, maker of Mercedes-Benz and smart cars).

Returning Chrysler and Jeep to American control, when private equity firm Cerberus Capital bought them in 2007, did not help much, and they soon had to be bailed out by the American, Canadian and Ontario governments, and Italian automaker Fiat. Fiat now owns a controlling, majority interest in Chrysler (and Jeep). And, soon, the brand that currently ONLY builds vehicles in the United Sates, will be importing Jeeps built in Europe.

But most buyers of Jeeps probably don't know that their beloved Jeep is, in fact, Italian owned.
Old 07-05-13, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

13. Harley-Davidson
Harley in 13th place? Come on.

NOTHING is more American than a Harley. Just look who rides them....MILLIONS of vets who served in our military and put their lives on the line for the country. Each year, hundreds of thousands of them ride here to D.C. for the Memorial Day Rolling Thunder parade.

16. Ford
It's also hard to imagine Ford in 16th place, considering that the company's founder, Henry Ford, probably did more than any other single individual (and any other American) to revolutionize how the Model T was mass-produced and literally put the country on wheels. Later, other cheap and successful mass-produced cars designed and built overseas (VW air-cooled Beetle, Fiat 500 Topolino, Citroen 2CV, Renault 4CV, etc.....) used production methods that Ford had pioneered as far back as 1908.....and, though vastly modernized with machines and robots, are still basically in use today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 06:30 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Its too bad Jeep makes pretty much the worst vehicles on the road. If anyone here has ever peeked at a consumer report/any other car mag they know just how bad they are. The cherokee is better now, and the wrangler is good for off roading but the majority of their vehicles belong in the junk yard. I would have thought HD to be at the top of the list!
Old 07-05-13, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Its too bad Jeep makes pretty much the worst vehicles on the road. If anyone here has ever peeked at a consumer report/any other car mag they know just how bad they are.
Jeep DID make unreliable and rather poorly-finished vehicles for decades. But go take a look at (and test-drive) a new Grand Cherokee built in the last two years or so and see if you still feel that way.

Old 07-05-13, 06:50 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Jeep DID make unreliable and rather poorly-finished vehicles for decades. But go take a look at (and test-drive) a new Grand Cherokee built in the last two years or so and see if you still feel that way.

Exactly why i said that the cherokee has gotten better. Unfortunately they dont seem to take this approach with their other vehicles
Old 07-05-13, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Exactly why i said that the cherokee has gotten better.
OK, but realize, though, that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were two completely different vehicles, with different 4WD/AWD systems. The boxy Cherokee was introduced in 1984; the larger and more angular Grand Cherokee in 1993.

Unfortunately they dont seem to take this approach with their other vehicles
That's because they dropped the big Commander from low sales, the fairly long-running Liberty is on the way out, the Patriot is too inexpensive to have that kind of interior, the Compass is a reworked FWD compact car that was never a true Jeep in the first place, and, though it's a lot more civilized than the versions of decades ago, many of the Wrangler's buyers want it to be crude......that's simply it's personality.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 08:21 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

I used to like the old wood paneled ones like from harry and the hendersons. Whens the last time anyone made a harry and the hendersons reference lol