Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi promises next A8 on sale by year's end, LED Matrix lamps to be available

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 11:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi promises next A8 on sale by year's end, LED Matrix lamps to be available

Audi promises next A8 on sale by year's end, LED Matrix lamps to be available

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/audi-...photo-5903303/

Audi has just released details about its new Matrix LED headlamps, but just as illuminating as the new lighting technology is confirmation that the next A8 will appear "on the market at the end of 2013." While Audi is calling the model new, expectations – and the spy shots above – suggest more of a traditional mid-cycle refresh.

Audi says that its new A8 Matrix lights are comprised of 25 high-beam LEDs, clustered in groups of five paired with reflectors. Unlike traditional automatic high-beam setups, the Matrix array is so precise that it "blanks out light that would shine directly onto oncoming and preceding vehicles" while continuing to use full high-beam power on other sections of the road and shoulder not occupied by other vehicles. Further, the camera- and electronic brain-governed system can dim or extinguish LEDs as necessary to deal with traffic. The active system also differs from today's adaptive headlamps by not requiring servo motors to direct light, yet they can still function as cornering headlamps – ones that can predict a road's trajectory because they are linked with the car's GPS system. Interestingly, the system also works with Audi's optional night vision system. When the latter detects a pedestrian in the dark, it automatically flashes a batch of LEDs to put both the driver and pedestrian on notice about each others' presence.

Only one problem in all of this trick lighting business: they aren't legal here in the US, at least not yet. Audi and other automakers are currently petitioning the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, trying to sell the government agency on the technology's safety benefits. For the moment, Matrix headlamps are likely to remain forbidden fruit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/30/a...trix-lamps-to/
Old 07-01-13, 12:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Super cool. Not surprising, coming from this company.
Old 07-01-13, 01:24 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting.

Would be nice to see a facelifted S8 with these things

P.S.
Btw, it looks like the only obstacle here are outdated government regulations (at least for Stateside).
Old 07-01-13, 05:55 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting concept. And yes, the regulations here in US are very outdated compared to the UK/Euro market

I technically see how these could work, would love to see it do it's thing behind the wheel.

Sounds like an awful lot of things that can go wrong just for some headlights though!
Old 07-01-13, 06:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW has a similar system as well, and I'm sure other automakers are working on similar designs as well.

The problem with LEDs is that they lose a lot of their brightness rather quickly. They can lose 50% of their brightness in just a couple of years.
Old 07-01-13, 07:27 AM
LexFather

We had a thread on the lights recently. The A8 has been selling much better than the last model

Old 07-01-13, 07:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
BMW has a similar system as well, and I'm sure other automakers are working on similar designs as well.

The problem with LEDs is that they lose a lot of their brightness rather quickly. They can lose 50% of their brightness in just a couple of years.
Yes MB has a similar system as well.

As far as LED's losing 50% of their brightness in a couple of years...somehow I think these OEMs have found a solution to that. I refuse to believe Audi/BMW/MB would produce a lighting solution that would be crap before the lease is even over.
Old 07-01-13, 01:28 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Audi just has the most boring shapes and exterior styling of any of the luxury brands. Their designs are always so safe. Fancy headlights aside, this company takes no risks in exterior design. So boring in my opinion.
Old 07-01-13, 01:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sens4miles
man, this may be an unpopular opinion, but i think audi just has the most boring shapes and exterior styling of any of the luxury brands. Their designs are always so safe. Fancy headlights aside, this company takes no risks in exterior design. So boring in my opinion.
r8?
Old 07-01-13, 01:41 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

r8?
Not my style, but I'm mostly referring to the A4, A6, & A8. Same car, three different sizes - small, medium, & large. It seems they are so desperately trying to emulate BMW in having evolutionary designs, except that BMW's styling is actually exciting and always seems fresh, yet Audi's are the same old boring 4-door box on wheels. They need to take more risks in exterior design in my opinion. Their interiors are nice though.
Old 07-01-13, 05:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It seems they are so desperately trying to emulate BMW in having evolutionary designs, except that BMW's styling is actually exciting and always seems fresh, yet Audi's are the same old boring 4-door box on wheels.
Agree, except for the A7 design which they stole right off the MB CLS drafting board!
Old 07-01-13, 06:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Man, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Audi just has the most boring shapes and exterior styling of any of the luxury brands. Their designs are always so safe. Fancy headlights aside, this company takes no risks in exterior design. So boring in my opinion.
To some extent I have to agree. I like Audi's and think they're decent looking especially when the whole lighting phase took place, their designs were clean slate and appealing. Now they really are one sausage different lengths and I look at say an A4 and it looks as plain and boring as a Jetta IMO

Old 07-01-13, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd say Audi's sedan designs are modern and conservative, but not boring. For the market of people out there who don't care to stand out everywhere they go, these fit the bill well. Introverted vs. extroverted.
Old 07-02-13, 12:36 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Audi is boring, and japanese cars are too swoopy and wavy.
Take your pick.

All that money poured into two jewels in the front. My HID lights work just fine. I don't need your fancy LED, unless you're offering it at the same price as xenons.
Old 08-05-13, 04:58 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Audi A8 Getting Upgrades to Compete with S-Class

Audi has already teased us with its 2015 A8 refresh, that’s set to debut at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, and now the automaker has revealed that the flagship sedan will see a good amount of upgrades to better compete with the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Unfortunately, Audi is keeping those upgrades under wraps until the show, but one thing we know for sure is that the sedan will be getting a set of new LED headlights that won’t be making it to America. That means the German automaker probably has a ton more luxury upgrades and new technology in the sedan to appeal to American consumers that are also interested in the S-Class.

Currently, Audi is ranked number two in global premium car sales and hopes to pass BMW for the top spot by the end of the decade. For the first time in its history, Audi plans to sell more than 1.5-million vehicles this year, two years earlier than its initial target.

The A8 however, has struggled in the large-luxury sedan segment, selling 38,600 units last year as opposed to the 80,300 S-Class vehicles that Mercedes moved and the 59,200 BMW 7 Series that were sold.

“We’re investing heavily in new products, developing leading-edge technology and expanding our global production network,” CFO Axel Strotbek said in the statement. “Despite challenging economic conditions, we’re sticking to our goals.”
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...h-s-class.html

Quick Reply: Audi promises next A8 on sale by year's end, LED Matrix lamps to be available