Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't believe they are only sold to 'loyal customers who will buy any SUV they well' and about the luxury, as we've discussed many times, acura is not a luxury brand, it's sort of a 'premium' brand, like buick perhaps.

i happened to sit in a brand new rdx last sunday. it's REALLY nice. very comfortable. very roomy. and it looks great outside with great looking rims. not super luxurious, but way nicer in many ways than an escape of santa fe you mention. the escape for example can only be had with a 4cyl. engine, quite different than the very smooth and quiet 273HP 3.5L V6 in the rdx.

the rdx should add some features as options at least like blind spot monitor and parking sensors, but apart from that, it's a great offering.
For the past 15 years Acura/honda has stated Acura is cross shopped not with the German brands or Lexus, something people on the internet like to bring up but mainstream brands.

It is simply the Camry of SUVs and people love to bash the Camry but are giving the RDX a pass.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I'm still shocked at how bad the GS sales are

The 4GS is much better car than the 3GS was, has GREAT reviews, Huge Incentives with great lease pricing.....Yet sales are much lower, what gives???

I expect the 5series and Eclass to outsell it - but not by 3 to 1 margins. Crazy

Glad to see the IS start strong, I hope its a hit for Lexus........so we can get a COUPE version finally!!
The GS is near target for sales. Incentives are still lower than the competition, try to buy an E, 5 or M37 for example, twice as much off. Also the GS inventory has stunk since the 2013 has been on sale for over a year (Lexus gave it a super long year)

What is a giant flop is the RLX, there are leftover RL's on the lots and they sold 499 units. This is a brand new model. The last gen RL in its first few months sold in the thousands easily. We are talking they are selling 2 a month per dealership.

Old 07-02-13, 09:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The C250 two weeks ago had leases at $299 a month

Last edited by RXSF; 07-02-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 04:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

The GS is near target for sales. Incentives are still lower than the competition, try to buy an E, 5 or M37 for example, twice as much off. Also the GS inventory has stunk since the 2013 has been on sale for over a year (Lexus gave it a super long year)

:

True but the 5 Series and E comparably equipped with a GS both cost thousands more.Toyota should just keep the big incentives on the GS.
170 GS350's in a 50 mile radius of me and 332 ES350.
So you have a bit of a point there.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-03-13 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 04:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Examiner

A decade ago, the top-three best-selling vehicles in the U.S. were full-size pickup trucks from Detroit's Big 3: the Ford F-Series, Chevrolet Silverado and Dodge Ram. They've been shaken since then, but they're on the way back more than ever, according to sales data released today by each automaker and compiled by the Cars Examiner.

The F-Series retained its customary position as the No. 1 best-seller in the 1st half of 2013, and the Silverado -- newly redesigned for 2014 -- beat out the Toyota Camry midsize sedan (No. 3 overall), after the Toyota was No. 2 this time last year. And the recently updated Ram jumped to No. 5 in the 1st 6 months of the year, compared to a No. 10 finish in the comparable period of 2012.

Other big winners on the best-seller list are the Ford Fusion midsize sedan and Ford Escape compact crossover, both of which saw sales soar after recent redesigns. Neither made the top 10 this time last year; in 2013, they're at No. 7 and No. 10, respectively. 2 older General Motors vehicles -- the Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan and Chevrolet Equinox compact/midsize crossover -- were off the Top 10 list (No. 13 and 14, respectively) but also saw sales jump in recent months, though neither has seen major changes in several years.

Best-sellers who've seen their sales slip include the Honda Civic compact car, despite a well-received 2013-model update (though it remains on the Top 10 list, at No. 9); the Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan (No. 17), whose 2013-model redesign was widely panned and will receive quick updates for 2014; and the Chevrolet Impala full-size sedan (No. 23), which was just redesigned for 2014 and positioned as a premium vehicle with higher prices but higher per-unit profit.

Otherwise, the Top 30 best-seller list is pretty familiar. The Honda Accord and Nissan Altima midsize sedans are just behind the Camry as the nation's best-selling passenger cars, and No. 4 and No. 6 overall, respectively. The aging Toyota Corolla, due for a 2014-model redesign, remains the best-selling compact car and nabs the No. 8 position overall -- though by only a tiny margin over the Honda Civic.

Absent from the Top 30 is any luxury marque, any subcompact car, and any minivan, though a few do come close. The list includes 6 compact SUVs and crossovers, including four in the Top 20, but just 3 larger models -- the Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Edge, which are at No. 20, No. 26, and No. 30, respectively.

Check back later this week for a collection of the top-10 best-sellers in each of 13 market classes.

Most of the sales data are collected from press releases posted here and are compiled by the Cars Examiner.

Old 07-03-13, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True but the 5 Series and E comparably equipped with a GS both cost thousands more.Toyota should just keep the big incentives on the GS.
170 GS350's in a 50 mile radius of me and 332 ES350.
So you have a bit of a point there.
Yeah but I still don't understand people wanting to beat up the GS every month. Look at how well its doing compared to the M37/56 and RLX? They are both around 500 units. The GS has succeeded where many have failed and has its niche.

Its like me bragging every month the RX outsells the rest 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 when the others are not meant to outsell the RX. THey can't and won't. Some cars dominate segments, companies recognize that and go for their piece of the pie.

Quite frankly considering
-the 2013 GS is now 15 months old
-inventory is down for the 2014
-95% sold are a 306hp V-6, no small engines, no V-8
-a slow selling hybrid
-limited advertising/marketing today
-an ES and IS knocking on the GS door
-let alone a hotly contested class

Its amazing they sold 1,700 last month or any month.

Look at the GS forum we participate it, the 4GS forum is quite busy, people are in there modifying their cars, talking, enjoying their ride. It has its niche. If you look at some of these other slow selling cars the forum is DEAD in comparison since no one is buying yet alone modifying them.

The GS will never sell like a 5 or E class.

Old 07-03-13, 08:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-a slow selling hybrid

Very good points.
Old 07-03-13, 08:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah but I still don't understand people wanting to beat up the GS every month. Look at how well its doing compared to the M37/56 and RLX? They are both around 500 units. The GS has succeeded where many have failed and has its niche.

Its like me bragging every month the RX outsells the rest 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 when the others are not meant to outsell the RX. THey can't and won't. Some cars dominate segments, companies recognize that and go for their piece of the pie.

-a slow selling hybrid

Look at the GS forum we participate it, the 4GS forum is quite busy, people are in there modifying their cars, talking, enjoying their ride. It has its niche. If you look at some of these other slow selling cars the forum is DEAD in comparison since no one is buying yet alone modifying them.

The GS will never sell like a 5 or E class.
I see what you're saying.
Yet the GS is less expensive comparably equipped even with big E and incentives and still the German rivals outsell the GS 3-1..
Road tests are better than the 5 and E.
People just like the BMW and Benz badge over a Lexus.
Only 1K will sell without any good incentives.With those numbers,there won't be a GS-F.

Oh well,I love the GS.
Old 07-03-13, 09:57 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I lease a car, I will get a MB E or BMW 5 no matter how much Lexus gives, if I purchase, I'd cross shopping between E, 5 and GS.

This is simply a image and emblem thing.

Lexus is still having long way to catch up.
Old 07-03-13, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Yet the GS is less expensive comparably equipped even with big E and incentives and still the German rivals outsell the GS 3-1..
Road tests are better than the 5 and E.
People just like the BMW and Benz badge over a Lexus.
i disagree with your last line conclusion. lexus has a different strategy. they have the ES and GS. although the GS may be cheaper than obvious competitors, it's not offered in as many variations or option flexibility.

but moreover, people who buy a base 5 or E may be a similar customer to someone buying an ES and may even cross shop.

if you combine the ES and GS sales, lexus is doing just fine. if they want more gs sales, they'll need to offer more models and more option flexibility. more incentives alone won't do it.
Old 07-03-13, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i disagree with your last line conclusion. lexus has a different strategy. they have the ES and GS. although the GS may be cheaper than obvious competitors, it's not offered in as many variations or option flexibility.

but moreover, people who buy a base 5 or E may be a similar customer to someone buying an ES and may even cross shop.

if you combine the ES and GS sales, lexus is doing just fine. if they want more gs sales, they'll need to offer more models and more option flexibility. more incentives alone won't do it.
smart man, i agree completely.
Old 07-03-13, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW,a Lexus dealer GM told me the goal of Toyota is to have the new gen GS make up 10% of total Lexus model sales.
I don't know how close the GS came to that goal.
Old 07-03-13, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
smart man, i agree completely.
thanks.

FWIW,a Lexus dealer GM told me the goal of Toyota is to have the new gen GS make up 10% of total Lexus model sales.
I don't know how close the GS came to that goal.
i think they're not far off or right there, especially if it's just the cars (not suvs).
Old 07-03-13, 10:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

i think they're not far off or right there, especially if it's just the cars (not suvs).
I'm almost positive total sales.
First year should sell well.
Will the GS have legs?
Old 07-05-13, 07:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Lets forget about the 5 and E as we all agree they are in a place Lexus GS cant touch.
Especially if you look at sales on a Global scale.

I'm more surprised that its selling so poorly compared to the 3GS.
-3GS had horrible Lease Rates (Base was about 800 vs 500 for current GS)
-No Buzz
-No Fsport
-Never praised for driver dynamics

Current GS has YR 1 sales of about 20,000
By year 5-6 it will be less than 10,000

Doesn't make a good business case, especially the initial investment you need to make and then pay incentives to move the units.

My only guess is people get the ES instead to save couple bucks and have more room.
I'm just trying to show all the ES defenders - yes its AWESOME this FWD semi-luxury car sells so well, but in the end it may force the Death of the GS.
Old 07-05-13, 05:12 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I'm more surprised that its selling so poorly compared to the 3GS.
-3GS had horrible Lease Rates (Base was about 800 vs 500 for current GS)
-No Buzz
-No Fsport
-Never praised for driver dynamics

Current GS has YR 1 sales of about 20,000
By year 5-6 it will be less than 10,000

Doesn't make a good business case, especially the initial investment you need to make and then pay incentives to move the units.

My only guess is people get the ES instead to save couple bucks and have more room.
I'm just trying to show all the ES defenders - yes its AWESOME this FWD semi-luxury car sells so well, but in the end it may force the Death of the GS.
Agree, I'm amazed the new GS isn't selling more. The poor marketing/product development guys must be going crazy at Lexus, I mean what more do they have to do? Everyone said the GS line was too boring and didn't drive well. They fix all the shortcomings, get good reviews, equal or beat the 5 series on dynamics and pricing and yet it sells less volume than the last "boring" car!

At what looks like now settling in at 20k units per year or less, you do need to wonder if Lexus can sustain this car at such low volume. I've also noticed quite a number of used 2013 GS on the market, most with very low miles. I wonder if people decide they don't like the car? You will always see some newer cars for sale but the number of new GS available used seems out of proportion to the sales numbers. The first two year leases aren't even hitting yet! If this keeps up we will be awash in used 4GS models in over the next year or two.

Quick Reply: June 2013 Sales Thread