Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 11:54 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The sedan will look even cuter. I can't wait for the comparos and wish Mazda the best in hopes that it is another award winning platform like the first Mazda3. I never really liked the 2nd gen happy face front end
Old 06-27-13, 09:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks neat (like a mini Mazda 6)

I look forward to the Mazdaspeed MPS version
Old 06-27-13, 09:32 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the general look, but I do have some concerns with it.
First, the rear window looks too sharply sloped. As is, I have to watch for taller objects when I really load it down. With that, it really hurts the usability of the cargo area. It also makes it look a bit too egg shaped.
Second, they destroyed the armrest. The current model has a nice wide armrest that extends forward for shorter people, myself included (though it needed more padding). This one barely has elbow room for 1 & the passenger is totally ignored.
Third, I'm not a fan of radio information hidden in a common screen. I know that's where everything's going, but it's still more confusing than helpful for me. That ****'s also the cause of the ruined armrest. On the note of controls, the rollers for heated seats were nicer than any buttons I've had to use.
Finally, there's no way I'm autocrossing in something that's going to brake automatically when I'm headed for the cones. Hope that can be turned off if you want.
Old 06-27-13, 10:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda 3 Diesel possibly on its way to US

http:// http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/mazda3-diesel-under-consideration-for-us-hybrid-not-so-much/

It's been a long time coming, but we finally clapped our eyes on the real deal, officially official 2014 Mazda3 in hatchback form yesterday. Yet there's a lot more to learn about this next-generation version of what has always been one of our favorite compacts. We know that the US version will come with one of two Skyactiv engines, but what about alternatives? Will there be any... or will the gasoline-fed four-cylinders be powerful and frugal enough to carry the day?

According to Automotive News, the answer is a definite maybe. Mazda North America CEO Jim O'Sullivan has told the trade publication that his employer will consider adding the company's well-liked 2.2-liter Skyactiv diesel powerplant to the model down the road. However, the company first wants to see how the engine fares with American consumers in its big-brother Mazda6 sedan, a model that goes on sale later this year. As for a potential Mazdaspeed3 successor, mum is still the word.

Anything else? Uncharacteristically, Mazda will build a hybrid model of its new 3. We say "uncharacteristically," because the Japanese independent has long shied away from gas-electric powertrain tech. In fact, it's gone so far as to boldly announce its aversion to the technology, with auto show banners proclaiming "Not Electric. Not Hybrid. Not A Drag To Drive." Despite all that, this new generation of Mazda3 will in fact be the company's first full hybrid production model. According to AN, however, O'Sullivan says that the company has "no plans" to sell it in the US.

Production for the 2014 Mazda3 will throttle up ahead of the car's September on-sale date in the US, but supply might be pinched until Mazda's new Salamanca, Mexico plant fires up next year.
Old 06-27-13, 03:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A diesel one of these with that 310lbft will dump on a Cruze or Jetta diesel
Old 06-27-13, 04:33 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Mazda has really stepped up their game. I would seriously take that interior over the CLA.
Old 06-28-13, 06:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-28-13, 09:09 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Not bad... But I'm not a fan of wavy belt lines...
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Weak and feminine styling, with some BMW Z4 thrown in. Wavy shoulder line is overdone and makes the car look like it folded up in front and rear collisions. No rear side windows accentuate compact car characteristics. Exploding black plastic guts around foglight area looks cheap. Center stack is clean but dated. Triangle hood over gauge area is strange. Thumbs down.
I agree.

I do like the front end and rear end from dead on angles, but not a fan of the profile.

Sedan will look better, IMO.

It's an almost for me, but I would never buy it. I'd rather have a comparably-priced GTI....which may not get me a lot of GTI, but I'd rather have less content and a car I was happier with.
Old 06-28-13, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Rendering of MS3
Old 06-28-13, 01:39 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

That visibility sucks. Tiny windows and huge C pillar.
Old 06-28-13, 02:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The car looks very good inside and out, very Euro look, but powertrains need work.
Old 06-28-13, 02:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What's with this new trend of HUGE C-pillars and no second rear window on compacts and small SUV's? There's limited visibility at best, a claustrophobic feel inside, and the whole idea of eliminating that second side window makes the vehicle look smaller than it is. Consumer Reports is going to have a field day with this.
Old 06-28-13, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

i dont like the interior... looks too simple. In Europe, there will be only 1.6l diesel with 110hp.
Exterior looks good as all new Mazda's do.
Old 06-28-13, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
The car looks very good inside and out, very Euro look, but powertrains need work.
What's wrong with the power trains? US version gets 2.0 155hp base, 2.5 184hp, future 2.2 diesel and possible MS3 powertrain. Sounds like a good mix. Not to mention the base engine puts out more hp than Civic, Corolla ect. None of those have even optional larger engines. What needs work in your opinion?
Old 06-28-13, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

2.5l or 2.2 diesel in this car should be cool... are you sure about 2.2 diesel? as europe only gets 1.6l...

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda3