Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope they make it nut price it inside the stratosphere
Old 08-20-14, 04:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
thanks. i now see ps is 'close enough' to hp.
Old 08-21-14, 07:55 PM
altezzagta
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw it in person on Sunday at Pebble Beach. the prototype is nice!

Old 08-21-14, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Hey Hoovey, all the reviews are on the big Q50 thread.

Old 08-22-14, 08:59 AM
zema
Driver

Delete this post, please.

Last edited by zema; 08-22-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 09:13 AM
zema
Driver

Infiniti seeks U.S. trademark for Formula One landmark

(Bloomberg) -- Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti is seeking a U.S. trademark for “Eau Rouge,” the name of a storied Formula One racetrack bend in Belgium, for a potential luxury car that may cost more than $100,000.

The application, filed by a Nissan lawyer on Jan. 8, is still being considered, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s website. Drivers including Formula One championship leader Nico Rosberg will navigate the course at the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

Eau Rouge is an uphill bend at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit built in the 1920s that has a reputation for being among the most beautiful and dangerous in auto racing, according to “Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans,” a 2010 book by A.J. Baime.

The Eau Rouge, or red water, takes its name from a stream that crosses the course through the Ardennes forest.

Infiniti’s Q50 Eau Rouge is a prototype and the carmaker is still testing components and hasn’t made a final decision on whether to produce the so-called super sedan, or on its name, Stefan Weinmann, an Infiniti spokesman in Hong Kong, said by phone. The brand’s biggest market is the U.S., he added.

He said he wasn’t aware of any objections by the Spa-Francorchamps circuit. It has been owned by the regional Wallonian government for almost a decade, circuit spokesman Luc Willens said by telephone.

European trademark

Marc Genicot, the Belgian circuit’s administrative and legal director, declined to comment in an e-mail on whether it objected to the U.S. trademark application. The racetrack successfully registered the name “L’Eau Rouge” for cars on April 24 at the European Union’s trademark office in Alicante, Spain, according to the office’s website.

Nissan would have to reach an agreement with the racetrack’s owner if it wants to commercialize the Eau Rouge car in Europe, according to Olivier Lombardo, a trademark lawyer in Luxembourg at Dennemeyer, an intellectual property consultancy.

Similar arrangements have been made in the past, with the organizer of the Roland Garros tennis tournament licensing the event’s name for a special-edition Peugeot car since 1989, Lombardo said by telephone.

In 2005, the Wallonian government paid 15 million euros ($20 million) to keep the annual Formula One race at Spa- Francorchamps after the event promoter went bankrupt.
Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...a-one-landmark
Old 08-22-14, 09:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zema
Infiniti seeks U.S. trademark for Formula One landmark

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...a-one-landmark
Well, this is promising since it hints that the car's production is becoming more of a real possibility. But I don't particularly care for the name itself. Oh well, at least the car will be serious.
Old 08-22-14, 05:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, this is promising since it hints that the car's production is becoming more of a real possibility. But I don't particularly care for the name itself. Oh well, at least the car will be serious.
I really hope they don't name the car the "Eau Rogue". It's fine for a concept, but not a production car. Not many people will know how to pronounce it. Given all the "confusion" over the Q nomenclature, using the name "Eau Rogue" for this car would be disastrous. They have to think long term here. There will obviously be more high performance models from them in the future and they need something that will stand out from the competition.

I feel strongly that they should use the letter 'R' for their performance line. Nissan has long used the letter R for their performance models, like the old Sentra SE-R, 200SX SE-R, and the short lived Altima SE-R. And of course Nissan's flagship for the entire company, the GT-R. It just makes sense that 'R' should stand for the highest performing vehicles that Nissan/Infiniti offers. Much in the same way Toyota/Lexus uses the letter F (LFA).

I say they should keep it simple and call this car the Q50-R
The 'Q50 Eau Rogue' will not look right spelled out on the trunk

On second thought, R is already being used by Jaguar, so they probably wouldn't be able to use it. Maybe 'ER' for "Eau Rogue"?
Although that might not send the right message to potential buyers

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 08-22-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 05:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I really hope they don't name the car the "Eau Rogue". It's fine for a concept, but not a production car. Not many people will know how to pronounce it. Given all the "confusion" over the Q nomenclature, using the name "Eau Rogue" for this car would be disastrous. They have to think long term here. There will obviously be more high performance models from them in the future and they need something that will stand out from the competition.

I feel strongly that they should use the letter 'R' for their performance line. Nissan has long used the letter R for their performance models, like the old Sentra SE-R, 200SX SE-R, and the short lived Altima SE-R. And of course Nissan's flagship for the entire company, the GT-R. It just makes sense that 'R' should stand for the highest performing vehicles that Nissan/Infiniti offers. Much in the same way Toyota/Lexus uses the letter F (LFA).

I say they should keep it simple and call this car the Q50-R
The 'Q50 Eau Rogue' will not look right spelled out on the trunk
had the same discussion with friends awhile back. cant agree with this more. the name is so bad, it brings down points on the car a bit for me.
Old 08-22-14, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure what's a worse name: IPL or Eau Rogue meaning "It's Red"

Eau Rogue is fine for a concept name, but now is the perfect time to make a new performance line.
Old 08-22-14, 05:45 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not sure what's a worse name: IPL or Eau Rogue meaning "It's Red"

Eau Rogue is fine for a concept name, but now is the perfect time to make a new performance line.
It's actually eau rouge which means red water.
Old 08-22-14, 06:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
my mistake
Old 08-22-14, 06:19 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by obturator
Then heck, I would prefer they use "Red Water". At least people will know how to pronounce it
Old 08-22-14, 07:53 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just call it "ewww"
Old 08-22-14, 08:00 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is significance to the name. The Q50 Eau Rouge is named after the signature high-speed corner at Belgium's famed Spa-Francorchamps race circuit.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread