Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 09:09 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate the dual bent chrome bar detail on the rear. Unnecessary and not elegant at all.
Old 07-19-13, 09:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but touch screens are very last decade. Lexus remote touch may not be a great example of replacement for touch screen, as it is a complete disaster, but it's also Lexus' first attempt at a remote controller, and its not anymore of a disaster that first gen i-drive. The 2nd gen i-drive is simply wonderful, and beats touch screen any day of the week. And yes, I do own a car with touch screen and 2nd gen i-drive, so I'm not just talking out of my аss.

At least Lexus is trying to stay at the forefront of technology, and even if their current try isn't great, I'm sure they will get it right. Infiniti is still using obsolete technology that doesn't belong in a modern premium car.
Old 07-19-13, 10:36 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, there is so much fail in this. No doubt they're getting cold feet.
Old 07-20-13, 09:30 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Keeping the G37 sedan around longer seems like a foolish move and appears like a short term grab for sales numbers. They should be focusing purely on the Q50 and the new Q nomenclature without any added confusion (on top of what there already is).

The only sense to make of this is that Infiniti wants an entry car below the Q50 in the short term before the new fwd compact is produced. If that's the case, I would expect them to drop the msrp of the G37 significantly and perhaps rebadge it (Q40?) if they plan to keep it around for a year or two. Afterall, every other model is rebadged this year including the G37 coupe.
Old 07-20-13, 09:36 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Run flats? The Canadian website details a standard compact spare in the specs/
Old 07-20-13, 10:23 AM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

Curious how they bumped the MPG up with the same engine/transmission.

I think it looks pretty good, but line up will be a bit confusing. I was told they are keeping on the G37 for at least 1 more year. Also, dealers are giving up to 8k off M37 right off the bat, so right in the price range of the Q50, which probably won't have much discounts until the G37 disappears. They included the 360 view camera package, which is not currently on the M37/56 yet. I think the Q50 will have all the features the M37/56 have besides the 4-wheel active steer on RWD M37/56 sport models.
Old 07-20-13, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

love all the hating here.

some bemoan that the 'japanese' luxury line-up isn't that strong, then the same people trash everything that is not a lexus. which isn't surprising since we're ClubLexus here but can't have it both ways.

one problem i see emerging is that from the back it will be hard to distinguish between q50, is, mazda 6, and others... that's weak branding.

it will also be interesting to see what the next hyundai genesis sedan/coupe bring. i think the next gen could be a real force.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-20-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-20-13, 12:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

some bemoan that the 'japanese' luxury line-up isn't that strong, then the same people trash everything that is not a lexus. which isn't surprising since we're ClubLexus here but can't have it both ways.

one problem i see emerging is that from the back it will be hard to distinguish between q50, is, mazda 6, and others... that's weak branding.

it will also be interesting to see what the next hyundai genesis sedan/coupe bring. i think the next gen could be a real force.
there is no hating at all... There is one review that writes about very poor handling. And Infiniti thinks we are stupid and is trying to position it against 5 series.

So far, whats there to like?
Old 07-20-13, 01:05 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I don't have any problems with the car at all, except for its name. I think it's a gorgeous car inside and out. I like the interior design better than the IS', which just doesn't seem to flow very well.
Old 07-20-13, 04:38 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ someone using terrible noon-time lighting to show how the interior is "dated"
Old 07-20-13, 09:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no hating at all... There is one review that writes about very poor handling. And Infiniti thinks we are stupid and is trying to position it against 5 series.

So far, whats there to like?
One review? So the verdict is in on one review? I see how that works.

Look. It's ok to be a fan. (I own a Lexus) but I get sick and tired of it being a matter of one car is great and every other car is terrible. Infiniti takes a beating around her and I've never been clear on why. Some people are too black or white about things.
Old 07-20-13, 09:31 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

so horrible handling?
Gee. way to spin it. read again.

Tiresome Tires

The Q50's overhauled body is two inches wider and rides on the same wheelbase as the G37. It's also underpinned by a new rear suspension and wider rear track. Both are notable changes, yet it's the decision to adopt run-flat tires across the board that arguably has the most influence on the way the Q50 drives.

In our case, the Q50 rolled on 225/55/17 all-season Bridgestone run-flats with that were hopelessly overmatched by the chassis. There is so little grip that it's though somebody accidentally mixed clay into their carcasses instead of silica. As a result, when given the mere suggestion of spirited cornering, the front tires protest audibly and early before washing out into understeer. This lack of enthusiasm was reflected in its meager skid pad performance of 0.79g and lackadaisical 60.9-mph slalom result.

Curiously, the Q50's ride quality dispatches truly bumpy pavement well, but is slightly fidgety on roads with prominent irregularities. It's not that the Q50 rides poorly ? it doesn't ? it's just that the busy-ness never quite settles out on freeway drives.

This would be a totally reasonable ride-handling tradeoff were this a red-blooded sport sedan capable of demolishing back roads with impunity. But the Q50 in non-S trim like our test car is not that car, and the reason hinges largely on its tires. If you want summer tires ? and our experience indicates that you should ? you need to step up to the Q50S.
Old 07-20-13, 11:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Keeping the G37 sedan around longer seems like a foolish move and appears like a short term grab for sales numbers. They should be focusing purely on the Q50 and the new Q nomenclature without any added confusion (on top of what there already is).

The only sense to make of this is that Infiniti wants an entry car below the Q50 in the short term before the new fwd compact is produced. If that's the case, I would expect them to drop the msrp of the G37 significantly and perhaps rebadge it (Q40?) if they plan to keep it around for a year or two. Afterall, every other model is rebadged this year including the G37 coupe.
Its obvious after 25 years they are still in dire need of help in marketing. Something is wrong for them to not get rid of G37 inventory but to CONTINUE to build the G37? They make all this hoopla about the names and Q and all these people have fanboy arguements protecting them and here they are, stilling selling a G37.

I read that they only had a few thousand "pre-orders" so it might be demand is not what they thought and they will sell the G37 so sales don't further plummet.

What a weird launch.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

This is Clublexus, where the majority of us own Lexus vehicles. Discussing a product where the first review is kind of lackluster and the interior might not be to some peoples taste is not "hating". Hating would be starting 500 threads on our President.

So what, a handful of people here are not in love with it on a Lexus forum.

Originally Posted by speedflex
One review? So the verdict is in on one review? I see how that works.

Look. It's ok to be a fan. (I own a Lexus) but I get sick and tired of it being a matter of one car is great and every other car is terrible. Infiniti takes a beating around her and I've never been clear on why. Some people are too black or white about things.

Maybe you forgot the fanboys that all of the sudden popped up bragging on the G35 yadda yadda, sport this, yadda yadda, Lexus sucks yadda yadda and now here we are a softer, plumper, no manual car. They were told its about consistency and the overall brand, not one hot car here and there every 25 years.

Not sure how anyone can interpret this as a bad thread, people are discussing the merits of the car and clearly a Lexus forum will have higher standards and expectations for excellence.

Case in point, Infiniti claims the best car they have ever built. Yes, they are telling us their best car ever, is their entry level car. Its like Lexus claming the ES or IS is the best car ever or the C-class is Benz's best car.

Old 07-21-13, 06:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Discussing a product where the first review is kind of lackluster and the interior might not be to some peoples taste is not "hating".
o'rly? how about this...

I sense failure of epic proportions.
maybe not hate, but a bit premature?

Hating would be starting 500 threads on our President.
unlike infiniti, he deserves it.

about infiniti, i agree with you that their marketing, like your other 'favorite' brand (not, lol), it terrible. inconsistent, strange messaging, from weirdness to hyperbole... just a mess.
Old 07-21-13, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about the handling comments... sad that car makers are pretty much forced into using run flats to save space/weight to meet crushing regulations... run flats still suck.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread