Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 10:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Surely in such a high tech car its not about cost cutting but it looks low rent. LED is not even the future, it is now. In the GX 460 I had we hated the halogen lights, it makes me sleepy (wife was doing a lot of reading in the car) and feels cheep. The new LEDs are much more intense than in the past for good reading like in the 4GS F-sport. The vanity mirrors are still halogen.
That is the point, the interior is like the living room, halogen makes it warm and cozy so it makes you sleepy.

I just find it odd that this CLS 63 has LEDs out the wazzoo front and rear but inside its halogen.
I am pretty sure that is the design intent. It just doesn't agreed with your preference.
Old 01-17-13, 11:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
No one want their car interior to look like strip joint either.
Ha!

It is certainly some car manufacturer's preference to have their interiors "glow" rather than be put under harsh light.
Old 01-17-13, 11:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
That is the point, the interior is like the living room, halogen makes it warm and cozy so it makes you sleepy.

I am pretty sure that is the design intent. It just doesn't agreed with your preference.
i hate yellow crap in my 2IS... i find LED much more natural overall. Whatever it is (cost cutting or someone simply not thinking straight), it is bad decision.
Old 01-17-13, 10:22 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED is not even the future, it is now.
Laser lighting seems to be the future or the next wave.

BMW and Audi as far as i know are coming out with these setups.

I'm sure there are others to follow soon after.
Old 01-19-13, 06:59 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
Laser lighting seems to be the future or the next wave.
Infiniti Q50 thread-frbyn.jpg
Old 01-19-13, 07:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrraider
^^^
Haha that was brilliant
Old 01-19-13, 09:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/19/a...-for-infiniti/

When Johan De Nysschen left his post at Audi of America last year to take the seemingly thankless job of leading Infiniti's global operations, it seemed like a familiar scenario. Like Michael Dukakis going from one of two men that could have won the White House to teaching political science at an obscure Florida college.

De Nysschen was a key architect in rebuilding Audi in the US, from a punchline about "sudden acceleration" in the 1980s, to being a truly hot brand and legitimately vying with BMW and Mercedes-Benz for one-percenters' German car bucks. In talking about his task at Infiniti with me, he repeated a line that I wonder if he mentioned to Nissan-Renault honcho Carlos Ghosn at the hiring meeting: "It took us 25 years to bring Audi back in the US. This kind of thing takes a long time."

What's he up to? On the surface, Nissan has made a few moves to get Infiniti its own identity within the company. The organization moved from Tokyo to Hong Kong and registered a new company ID: The Infiniti Global Ltd. When he got there, he said, "The cupboard was emptier than I knew." So De Nysschen is also directing the new product plan, as well as asking ad agency TBWA/Chiat Day to put together a walled-off agency for his brand, rather than having the agency divide teams for both Nissan and Infiniti.
On the hardware front, Infiniti will employ a high-performance four-cylinder engine from Daimler by way of an alliance between Nissan-Renault and the German automaker. And it will also get a vehicle platform from Daimler that Infiniti and Nissan are co-developing – an arrangement that is similar to the alliance Volkswagen has with Porsche for the Cayenne and Touareg.

What did he tell Ghosn was his recipe for fixing the 23-year-old brand? "We have to have our own powertrains, our own designs, our own identity. You can't run a premium brand like you run a mass-market brand." His goal before he packs it in? "To be accepted into the club of global luxury car brands.

Sales target? Fasten your seat belt. Though Infiniti sold fewer than 200,000 globally in 2012, the former Audi US chief says he plans to reach 500,000 sales by 2017. Granted, he says, a big chunk of that will come from China. Still, we are reminded of what the kidnapper told Liam Neeson in Taken when he warned the bad guy not take his daughter: "Good luck."

Infiniti's global ambitions are just that. More than half the company's sales are in the US, though it is sold in 15 countries with just 230 dealers. There has been a long established pattern of cars that are sold as up-market Nissans in Japan sold as Infinitis elsewhere.

One of the first marketing measures De Nysschen tackled was model naming. He has ditched the haphazard nomenclature of the G, M, J and FX for a new system going forward, whereby all sedans and coupes will be called Q – as in the new Q50, which is the updated G37. All crossovers and SUVs wil be called QX followed by a double digit number.

Ironically, back in the 1990s, De Nysschen had to meet with Infiniti officials to discuss a beef over model naming because Infiniti had the Q prefix, and Audi wanted to use it for what became the Q3, Q5, Q7, etc. The compromise was that Audi would have to stop at Q9, and Infiniti, he says, will use Q and QX followed by double-digit numbers.

Yeah... that ought to be clear to everyone.

So, Infiniti has had one consistently praised model, the G, which is also the only model prefix with any name recognition associated with Infiniti. And he scrapped it as first order of business?

Lest we think De Nysschen is a bit mad or a masochist, we should remember that Liam Neeson did actually get his daughter back in Taken after killing, like, a hundred Albanian bad guys, and suffering only a shoulder wound and a gimpy leg.

So guys brags about how it took him two and a half decades to bring back Audi and somehow that is a good reference? If he and product department only knew what they were doing and maybe, just maybe used some common sense they would have been much sooner.

Anyway he shows his talents by scrapping the G model designation. Brilliant guy that will probably die before he gets Infiniti anywhere if it's going to take him another 2 to 3 decades.
Old 01-19-13, 09:21 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
But if I remember right, Audi was the 1st to have LED DRL, in the R8 I think..
Nope, it was the Aston Martin V8 Vantage that had LED DRL's before Audi. It was shown in production form at the Geneva Auto Show in March 2005 as a 2006 model. The production R8 was launched in Paris in September 2006.
Old 01-19-13, 02:14 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

What did he tell Ghosn was his recipe for fixing the 23-year-old brand? "We have to have our own powertrains, our own designs, our own identity. You can't run a premium brand like you run a mass-market brand."
I don't know. I agree with what Johan De Nysschen said here. All along, I've said that Lexus needs completely separate platforms and powertrains and should be run autonomously from Toyota. At least we have seen encouraging moves from Akio Toyoda to make Lexus more independant from Toyota.

I think this guy is the right person for Infiniti.
Old 01-19-13, 03:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I don't know. I agree with what Johan De Nysschen said here. All along, I've said that Lexus needs completely separate platforms and powertrains and should be run autonomously from Toyota. At least we have seen encouraging moves from Akio Toyoda to make Lexus more independant from Toyota.

I think this guy is the right person for Infiniti.
why would lexus be run like tiny company instead as flagship part of biggest car manufacturer in the world?
Lexus will always be TMC's premium brand, they might be able to separate it a bit so they can make better decisions for Lexus but otherwise no. Engines will be developed together forever but chassis is probably already separated and basically those few Toyota RWD models are using lexus platforms stripped down, not the other way around.

In the world where BMW buys Toyota hybrid tech, Toyota gets Peugeot Vans, and Mercedes run on Renault engines, there is certainly not going to be separation of engineering.

What is possible and what all of them doing is separate marketing arms that make product decisions including development.
Old 01-19-13, 03:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would lexus be run like tiny company instead as flagship part of biggest car manufacturer in the world?
Lexus will always be TMC's premium brand, they might be able to separate it a bit so they can make better decisions for Lexus but otherwise no. Engines will be developed together forever but chassis is probably already separated and basically those few Toyota RWD models are using lexus platforms stripped down, not the other way around.

In the world where BMW buys Toyota hybrid tech, Toyota gets Peugeot Vans, and Mercedes run on Renault engines, there is certainly not going to be separation of engineering.

What is possible and what all of them doing is separate marketing arms that make product decisions including development.
The two best selling Lexus cars are using Toyota Camry's chassis. Makes no sense for Lexus to dissociate from Toyota. There is more than one way to run a luxury brand.
Old 04-18-13, 06:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

The base Q50 will start at $36,450 while the hybrid version will start at $43,700, The HYBRID SPORT starts at $46,100

3.5-liter V6 with Infiniti Direct Response Hybrid® with lithium-ion battery
354 hp @ 6,500 rpm (Hybrid System Net Power)
Direct Adaptive Steering with customizable steering ratio

19 x 8.5-inch, triple 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
Aluminum, ventilated sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front and 2-piston opposed rear brake calipers
Unique sport front bumper
Solid-magnesium paddle shifters
Front leather appointed sport seats with enhanced bolstering
10-way power driver's seat with power torso support adjustments and power lumbar

Electronically controlled 7-speed automatic with Adaptive Shift Control (ASC). Driver-adaptive learning algorithm senses driving style and adjusts automatic shifting accordingly. Manual shift mode offers sequentially selectable manual gearshifts

available Infiniti InTouch™ Navigation System with touch-screen, Lane Guidance and 3-D building graphics

Navigation Package - Introductory MSRP $1,400*
Infiniti InTouch™ Navigation System with touch-screen, Lane Guidance and 3-D building graphics[*]
SiriusXM Travel Link with detailed traffic information, current weather updates and 3-day forecasts provided by SiriusXM[*]
Infiniti Connection, including 1-year subscription for all safety, security and convenience services[*]
Navigation Synchronized Adaptive Shift Control

Deluxe Technology Package - Introductory MSRP $5,000*
Auto-dimming outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
Dual occupant memory system for driver's seat, mirrors and steering wheel settings, linked to individual Intelligent Keys
Maple wood trim
Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection and Front and Rear Sonar Systems[*]
Rain-sensing front windshield wipers
Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) with auto-leveling headlights
High Beam Assist headlights (high/low automatic change)
Distance Control Assist (DCA)[*]
Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Blind Spot Intervention® (BSI®) Systems[*]
Back-up Collision Intervention (BCI)[*]
Front seat Pre-Crash Seat Belts
Intelligent Cruise Control (Full-Speed Range)[*]
Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW)[*]
Forward Emergency Braking (FEB)[*]
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)[*]
Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) with Active Lane Control[*]
Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS) with auto-recirculation, Plasmacluster® air purifier and Grape Polyphenol Filter[*]
Eco pedal
Old 04-18-13, 06:26 PM
LexFather

FYI this is pricing for pre-orders. Things will change when its launched. Waiting on some reviews, there are none.

I think it looks nice, not blown away by the interior but its fine. The specs look great for under 50k hopefully, above that is nuts. They are offering the sport model here on their hybrid, kudos to them since Lexus won't give us the option. 30 MPG overall is a huge huge plus!

Old 04-18-13, 07:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

30 MPG overall is a huge huge plus!
estimating 37-38 mpg here....http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new...50-hybrid.html based on 6.2 l/100km (45mpg) imperial here http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infini...ive-technology

...probably more like 34-35 hwy MPG IMO

Last edited by bagwell; 04-18-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 07:24 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am chomping at the bit in hopes the car lives up to the billing

My IS 350 will be 8 years old in the fall and I am jonesing for something new

The Q is the first AWD hybrid sedan with a sport package from Japan and I certainly hope it will be a fun car

There are 2 Chicago dealers having preview nights in May

One of the dealers, Fields believes they will have a car to drive but they were not told which version it will be

I believe there is a training session at a track in Texas next week for the top performing sales people so if we are lucky, some intel about the driving experience will leak out after that

I am not sure the early buzz making is doing much as one dealer said vi was the first person to ask about the AWD hybrid

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread