Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 06:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

G50 looks very nice i have to say!
It should sell very well if they keep the price the same as the current one.
The hybrid powertrain sounds Great.

Why would anyone buy the M37 at this point????

Interior is so generic though. Not feeeling it at all

Old 01-14-13, 06:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The dimensions of this car i.e. width length - are almost identical to the 4GS. Not sure where this leaves the M37, since it will now have older tech and hideous styling compared to the G50 that is about the same size.

Not sure what Infiniti is thinking here
Old 01-14-13, 07:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The dimensions of this car i.e. width length - are almost identical to the 4GS. Not sure where this leaves the M37, since it will now have older tech and hideous styling compared to the G50 that is about the same size.

Not sure what Infiniti is thinking here
yeah, its crazy... it is not "compact" at all.
Old 01-14-13, 08:14 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, truth is the G was always rather large for the class. The G37 is closer to the BMW 5 series in size than it is the 3 Series.
Old 01-14-13, 08:28 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

inifinity has always seemed to have generic interiors,
Old 01-14-13, 08:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Maybe it is using existing C class chassis because I dont see Mercedes letting Infiniti use the new stuff before they even have a go yet.

also the crescent moons on the rear lights make the whole rear just a tad bit sonata for me.
Earlier reports of platform sharing between the two were apparently wrong. All news sources have corrected themselves and are now reporting that the Q50 is using an updated G37 platform, which would explain why it's still quite large for its class.

I always had a feeling the two wouldn't share platforms, as the next-gen C-class will be on the super modular MRA platform that will underpin the S-class and E-class as well.
Old 01-14-13, 08:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Is Infiniti doing a BMW?

The new F30 3 series also grew in size and is as large as the E39 5 series of 2 generations past. And the F10 5 series is almost as large as a previous generation 7 series.

So :

new 3 series -- replaces old 5 series while new 5 series goes up 1 class size
new G/Q50 -- replaces old Infiniti M while the next Infiniti M goes up 1 class size???
Old 01-14-13, 09:45 PM
Mind18
Driver

Real life pictures look good. I hope the base model has decent wheels. I get that a good amount of money is made from options, but have always felt since it is a luxury car, it should look good in any trim.
Old 01-14-13, 11:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
G50 looks very nice i have to say!
It should sell very well if they keep the price the same as the current one.
The hybrid powertrain sounds Great.

Why would anyone buy the M37 at this point????

Interior is so generic though. Not feeeling it at all

I guess they would buy the M37 for the nicer interior and you can get a V8 in a M. In some pics the new G or Q50 looks very generic to me like a cross between a Maxima and M but in other pics it has a nice look. Interior in some shots looks very good while in others looks okay but I still like it much more then the current G37 inside and out which I don't find appealing. I am really waiting to see what they do with the coupe and a rumored optional similar GTR powerplant.
Old 01-15-13, 01:38 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Angry

As I have already stated elsewhere, it has now been confirmed that a manual transmission will NOT be offered with the 3.7 litre V6. Only the 7-speed automatic. Infiniti will lose me as a customer(still have my parents), as I won't be upgrading to a Q50 this summer for that particular reason. BMW is now looking more interesting to me right now, especially the upcoming F30 M3. I just hope that one doesn't follow the same path.
Old 01-15-13, 03:29 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Is Infiniti doing a BMW?

The new F30 3 series also grew in size and is as large as the E39 5 series of 2 generations past. And the F10 5 series is almost as large as a previous generation 7 series.

So :

new G/Q50 -- replaces old Infiniti M while the next Infiniti M goes up 1 class size???
G series had always been a bigger car than cars in the same class, but not quite as big as 5 series/GS class IMO.
Old 01-15-13, 05:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Is Infiniti doing a BMW?

So :

well sure, but F30 is not that big... Q50 is just slightly smaller than GS now, you could even say they are "same" class.
Old 01-15-13, 06:38 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Maybe it is using existing C class chassis because I dont see Mercedes letting Infiniti use the new stuff before they even have a go yet.

also the crescent moons on the rear lights make the whole rear just a tad bit sonata for me.
I highly doubt the accuracy of that statement. The G is much longer than teh C class, and this Q seems to be no smaller than the G. I doubt MB will stretch it's C class that far, and step on the toes of the E.

My understanding is the q50 will use the Nissan vq until further notice. MB V8s may show up in the IPL variants, and a 4 cylinder version is in the works. There may be other powerplants co developped by MB like diesels, but none are slated for North America.
Old 01-15-13, 07:20 AM
LexFather

So it seems like the ES a leather substitute is standard and leather is optional?

And lets see if the internetz riots since the manual was dropped.

Originally Posted by mrraider
I highly doubt the accuracy of that statement. The G is much longer than teh C class, and this Q seems to be no smaller than the G. I doubt MB will stretch it's C class that far, and step on the toes of the E.

My understanding is the q50 will use the Nissan vq until further notice. MB V8s may show up in the IPL variants, and a 4 cylinder version is in the works. There may be other powerplants co developped by MB like diesels, but none are slated for North America.
You can stretch a platform....Look at how the current models are all FM based from the 370Z to the M. That is one thing I like about Lexus, its a Lexus.

Old 01-15-13, 08:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider

I really hope Nissan doesn't share the same chassis as MB. I don't like how any of the MB feel when driving them. I'd say Nissan doesn't have to worry about chassis development...they have a pretty decent sports car lineup of their own

The only thing Nissan should take from MB is the interiors and their 6.3L V8s

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread