Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 03:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GS's system is much better and yes it does yield what the sticker says. Unfortunatley the car is just overpriced. If it was say a 2 grand premium over a GS350 like a ES350/ES300h or even up to around a 5 grand premium like the RX350/RX450h that would be fathomable. But 12 grand?! Average MSRP is $70K on the GS450h vs $57K F-Sport or $58K Luxury. They'd be smart to lower the price, they'd sell more and help make the GS a more viable line.
oh yeah, i agree completely on the price... 5k-6k max - as GS450h is more complicated system than RX450h.
Old 07-14-13, 11:04 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patgilm
The LS600hL is not supposed to be an efficiency hybrid anyway so it is not about the gas mileage. I average about 21-22 with normal driving and 27-28 on highway trips not that those numbers are all that impressive but it is one heavy beast. However you are right, not sure how anyone can justify the price increase over a loaded LS460L.
Making excuses just because it is a Lexus, how convenient.
Old 07-14-13, 12:23 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Same class yes but again the powerplant is the variable. The Germans are cheaper because of the mill under the hood. They are more fuel efficient because the mill under the hood. They are less powerful because of the mill under the hood. The difference is the LS is a performance hybrid whereas the Germans are fuel efficient hybrids (to a point). Again when you see a LS450h hybrid then you will have a direct comparison between hybrid flagships. Point in case the LS600hL is the pinnacle of LS's. The MBZ S65 AMG is the pinnacle of S-Classes - totally different.

The LS600hL is in a class of its own literally, and carved itself a niche no one else wants to or has attempted to play in.
The LS 600hL definitely had V12 performance at release - the last non-FI 760i/iL, which was only one MY before the 600hL, had 438hp. And MB's last non-FI V12 S-class only made 360ish hp! It wasn't until MB/BMW got into these ridiculous hp wars and starting turbocharging all their V12s that those hp numbers really started going up.

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Making excuses just because it is a Lexus, how convenient.
patgilm has been critical of the 600hL's weight and pricing structure in the past on this forum, so I'd lay off the "excuse" accusations.

Plus, the simple reality is that all cars have to be taken for what they are - not only the totality of what the car offers, but what purpose the car is intended to serve. In the same way, I'm sure that people often point out the S65 has absolutely no real-world performance increase over an S63 either despite being far more expensive; it's not an excuse to point out that the S65 is the S-class flagship, has a V12, has a far better interior, etc. etc.
Old 07-14-13, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, nothing at all surprising about it. That's what I've been saying for years....in general, the less one screws around with factory parts or settings, the better off the car is likely to be.
although I can agree to that statement, it's a tough pill for enthusiasts/modders to swallow.

My IS has been rock solid *knocks on wood*, the only issues I've had are all self inflicted by any modding I've done to the car
Old 07-14-13, 06:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The LS 600hL definitely had V12 performance at release - the last non-FI 760i/iL, which was only one MY before the 600hL, had 438hp. And MB's last non-FI V12 S-class only made 360ish hp! It wasn't until MB/BMW got into these ridiculous hp wars and starting turbocharging all their V12s that those hp numbers really started going up.
That's true, but Mercedes phased that motor out in 2003. Lexus should've seen where the trends were going even if the LS was well into its development by then.
Old 07-14-13, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

have they seen what many infiniti owners do to their cars. I would say they are modified more than any other Japanese luxury brand. Acura is a joke, Lexus has relatively few owners modifying since there is so little after market support (and since the average age of a Lexus owner is about 17 years older than an Infiniti owner), BUT Infiniti has a ton of support, especially since the last two gen Gs were basically 4 door 350/370 Zs.
Old 07-15-13, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
have they seen what many infiniti owners do to their cars.
owners may modify the cars, but manufacturers aren't obliged to fix problems arising from those mods. i love many aftermarket setups that give amazing looks and handling capabilities, but if they end up harming factory components of the car, i don't think the manufacturer should have to pay. while some modders really know what they're doing, a lot don't or don't have the funds to do it right. heavy crap wheels on a stock suspension can wreak havoc not only with suspension, but brakes, steering, etc.
Old 07-15-13, 07:45 PM
StonedCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one think the modifying a car is fun but a big waste of money.. My first car was a ACURA CL type-S with comptech headers, exhaust, intake, shocks springs , everything.. big brake kit.. at the end of the day I sold it for less then my big brake kit cost me... I just lease and give it back no mods and 80% of Americans do the same so I don't know what everyone is making a big deal about this modding thing.. You look in and car manual and they say that same things "non oem components might f up your car".. so what.. The car is going to be one sick car with the hybrid setup... Infiniti will be doing alot of exciting things in the next 5 years...
Old 07-15-13, 08:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

The interior styling is horrendous on the Q50.....looks at least a Decade old already!

Not a fan of the rear either.

Old 07-16-13, 12:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Agree 100%, this interior is dated, and looks like a clusterpluck. And that leather boot shifter looks totally out of place.
Old 07-16-13, 02:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

yeah, i saw those pics... interior design does look dated, a lot... it is as if they designed it by the book - someone gave them a list of what features it should have but didnt include to make it look exciting on the list.

It is very Nissan way of doing things, if you look at the specs and paper features, it is amazing... And it all goes downhill after that.
Old 07-16-13, 04:45 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StonedCL
I for one think the modifying a car is fun but a big waste of money.. My first car was a ACURA CL type-S with comptech headers, exhaust, intake, shocks springs , everything.. big brake kit.. at the end of the day I sold it for less then my big brake kit cost me... I just lease and give it back no mods and 80% of Americans do the same so I don't know what everyone is making a big deal about this modding thing.. You look in and car manual and they say that same things "non oem components might f up your car".. so what.. The car is going to be one sick car with the hybrid setup... Infiniti will be doing alot of exciting things in the next 5 years...
Leasing a car is probably the worst financial mistake most people make, but who am I to say what people do with their money.

And that interior does looked dated, now I am leaning back towards another Lexus as my next car especially after the Coupe spy pics.

Last edited by Diesel350; 07-16-13 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That interior is this car's Achilles heel. It literally looks 10 years old.
Old 07-16-13, 03:23 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree. The interior reminds me of current cadillac.

THIS is a 10 year old g35 interior. Put your biases aside for a second. You're saying it looks this dated?

It's certainly a big improvement compared to the current one.

Last edited by pman6; 07-16-13 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 03:35 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior looks of high quality. Only thing bothersome will be the perpetual fingerprints over the screen.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread