Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 07:37 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

overstyled front which works but then it meets an drama free rear end
Old 07-01-13, 10:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Och

My IS350 has plasti aluminum in the interior.

If you haven't t sat in the new IS, you're in for a surprise.

The F Sport I sat in had an LFA look steering wheel. The vertical element covering the center spoke was a huge chunk of plasti aluminum. Just give it a tap and the cheapness will resonate through your day
I test-drove the new IS250 F-Sport and standard IS300h 2 days ago and let me say that the new IS has easily the best interior in its class. Easily puts the BMW 3 series to shame especially the F-Sport. The first thing that pops into your mind is "quality". Cheapness is the last thing I'd think of when considering the new 2014 IS interior.

The new Q50 has a big mountain to climb if it wants to exceed the new IS interior IMO.
Old 07-02-13, 08:41 AM
LexFather

I think its good looking, the S model has a busy lower bumper but overall I like it a lot, they nailed proportions, a nice RWD stance in pics. Of course these are all the loaded models with 19" wheels so with 17" wheels in base trim it will likely look more awkward.

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Your post are hilarious, now back to the Q50
Apologies if you don't have anything resembling a proper retort. The fact is your entire argument is based on names "not meaning anything" and yet they changed the name b/c clearly they feel "it needs to mean something".

Old 07-02-13, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
If you guys think the current G37 interior is fine, then I don't know what to say. Fake aluminum trim, questionable surfaces, cheap hardware. Not saying its a bad car, but it doesn't really feel premium.
The whole G-series came out during a period when Nissan/Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn was instituting massive cost-cutting across the whole Nissan/Infiniti line to try and save it from bankrupcy. The original G-series, I'll admit, did have several problems wit fit/finish and interior-trim quality, but, since then, the G interior has gotten much better.

And if the original G-series was unimpressive inside, its brother 2001-2002 Nissan Altima's interior, I remember, was so cheap that, when I first saw it in the showroom, I got in, spent about a minute or so inside the car, got out, and simply walked right out of the showroom.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 11:31 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I must agree with 1SICKLEX in the naming. Naming and branding are everything in business.
Old 07-02-13, 11:54 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I must agree with 1SICKLEX in the naming. Naming and branding are everything in business.
In the end, everything comes down to communication. And I'm an engineer saying (admitting?) that, so you know it must be true.
Old 07-02-13, 12:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL

Thats pure pwnage right there!!!!
Old 07-02-13, 02:14 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's true up to a point. Really, a name is only as good as the product it's attached to. But the thing with luxury makes is that they all go with numerical/alphabetical designations. Not names. People don't get attached to figures the way they do to figurative or abstract words. For example, Ford would never in a million years consider changing the Mustang to the Stallion. People have emotional and heritage connections to that name. Camaro, Firebird, Corvette. Those are names that mean something to the man on the street.

Now 750il? 500SEL? A6? That's a much more intellectual designation and while there's a good amount of equity in those designations they really don't mean anything to anyone. People will associate those labels to a particular brand and that brand must have value to the customer. Most people wouldn't even say they drive a 500SEL. They'd simply say I drive a Mercedes. And most people wouldn't know or care what you're talking about if you told them you drove an XYZ250il Sport.

Infiniti need to work on its brand image overall so that whatever the numerical designation of the car it means something good because the brand has value. I know lots have been made over this nomenclature Infiniti is going to but I wager to say that if the car is any good no one will care after 6 months, maybe even less.
Old 07-02-13, 02:27 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
That's true up to a point. Really, a name is only as good as the product it's attached to. But the thing with luxury makes is that they all go with numerical/alphabetical designations. Not names. People don't get attached to figures the way they do to figurative or abstract words. For example, Ford would never in a million years consider changing the Mustang to the Stallion. People have emotional and heritage connections to that name. Camaro, Firebird, Corvette. Those are names that mean something to the man on the street.

Now 750il? 500SEL? A6? That's a much more intellectual designation and while there's a good amount of equity in those designations they really don't mean anything to anyone. People will associate those labels to a particular brand and that brand must have value to the customer. Most people wouldn't even say they drive a 500SEL. They'd simply say I drive a Mercedes. And most people wouldn't know or care what you're talking about if you told them you drove an XYZ250il Sport.

Infiniti need to work on its brand image overall so that whatever the numerical designation of the car it means something good because the brand has value. I know lots have been made over this nomenclature Infiniti is going to but I wager to say that if the car is any good no one will care after 6 months, maybe even less.
Excellent post

There's a reason why every single luxury brand uses the alphabet soup game to name their vehicles instead of actual names. The strategy behind this is that so buyers will invest in the brand, not necessary the particular model they may be interested in. When a certain model overshadows the rest of the brand, it could become a problem. By naming everything starting with the letter "Q", it creates a level playing field in the mind of the buyer. It quells any attachment to the particular vehicle name, yet stimulates interest in the brand itself - in this case, Infiniti.

For anyone to make such a blanket statement that naming and branding is "everything" in business is simply not looking at the big picture. Reputation and quality need to be there as well. For the Camry to change its name to the Leroy would of course be a disaster. But changing a G37 to a Q50? not so much. Even as popular as the G is and has been for the past 10 years.
Old 07-02-13, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Just got word from the dealer that the Q50 is being delayed for a software issue so expect them to land in August in heavy doses. Some have arrived and some in transit so I guess dealers will have to do whatever needs to be done.

Im thinking of changing it to 4sicklex or something else new

Last edited by LexFather; 07-02-13 at 03:03 PM.

Old 07-02-13, 03:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So Sir Blueprint. Are you considering adding a Q50 to your stable?
Old 07-02-13, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Just got word from the dealer that the Q50 is being delayed for a software issue so expect them to land in August in heavy doses. Some have arrived and some in transit so I guess dealers will have to do whatever needs to be done.
hmm I knew that red sign meant something

Old 07-02-13, 10:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am loving the fact that the driver can adjust throttle response, steering feel, etc. Reminds me of an M car. Im sure it will be great to drive, and with the hybrid available you can have your cake and eat it too. Anyone who owns a Nissan/Infiniti with a VQDE motor knows they are great engines but the fuel economy sucks.18-20 was what we usually got with the three vehicles we have owned with modern VQs. On the highway I would be lucky if I could get 22 mpg o the way to LA.
Old 07-03-13, 06:49 AM
PlatinumSJ
Driver School Candidate

this is clean.. may possibly look into getting it.
Old 07-04-13, 09:47 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am loving the fact that the driver can adjust throttle response, steering feel, etc. Reminds me of an M car.
My car has the steering wheel boost adjustment. Honestly, the the lower boost settings dont improve feedback that much. For daily driving I leave it at max boost for light steering, and will use medium for long highway drives.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread